All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Low wheat, low sugar diet - test
      #320825 - 12/16/07 11:37 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I've been following low wheat, low sugar diet strictly for about 1 week now. I limit the amount of fruit I eat and don't add sugar, eat sweets, etc. The only "sin" is a small serving of chocolate every day (about 15g) and 1 homemade linzer cookie (they've been a staple in my family and it wouldn't be Christmas without them ). I've been really good about only eating 1 a day. However, last night I guess my brain went on a short vacation and I ate about 10 of them (yes, they were very yummy ). I was doing pretty well before, my bloating was significantly smaller. Upon waking up I could even see my abdominal muscles (big deal since I haven't seen them in a while). Well, this morning I woke up and the bloating was back! So I definitely think it must have something to do with all that wheat/sugar (there was nothing else in the cookies that trigger a reaction for me).
So while I was mad at myself for having eaten them in the first place I also consider this a little test. I will definitely continue with the no wheat (OK, maybe just one cookie, I promise ), no added sugar.
Just wanted to share with everyone.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Low wheat, low sugar diet - test new
      #320827 - 12/16/07 12:49 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I hope it continues! How many/what type of fruit are you eating per day? I never think of fruit as a sugar food.

The one cookie is the only wheat you eat? Are you eating other gluten products?

Let us know how your experiment continues. You did pick a very tempting time of year to do this! But, you can do it!!!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#320836 - 12/16/07 02:34 PM
Zara

I only avoid wheat but not gluten. So I still use soy sauce, have a small glass of beer (alcohol in small amounts doesn't bother me), etc.
As I said, I've only been doing this strictly for a week so I'm sure temptation will arrive later, lol! I probably eat 1-2 servings of fruit per day. I eat frozen raspberries with my oatmeal in the morning and then have a pear/apple/tangerine in the afternoon. I love bananas so once my digestions settles I will try to add those, too. Also, I snack on sweet potatoes (I have to credit K2 for this idea). I bake a few at a time and then keep them in the fridge.
I will definitely post more as the time goes by .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#320861 - 12/17/07 09:41 AM
Zara

So last night everything was pretty much normal, I was bloated from all those cookies and then at 6 I got a major D. Which, by the way, NEVER happens - I get bloating, cramps, pain, C but never D. I had to go 5x between 6 and 7pm. Maybe my body got so used to low sugar that it was trying to get rid of it? I don't know. Today everything went pretty much back to normal, no bloating.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#320863 - 12/17/07 09:53 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

I'm quite similar to you Zara dietwise. I don't eat wheat and am fine with a glass of wine in the evenings. I also find that i can handle a cup of coffee with normal milk. All this (alcohol and coffee) i've been doing for the last week and my body seems to be handling it really well. In fact, this last week i've been paying more attention to the SF/IF balance and (as a result, i think!) i've had the best BMs ever! And hardly any bloating. I've also been limiting my sugar intake. I'll see how it goes though because what i hate about IBS is that my body sometimes suddenly decides to stop handling certain foods and i fear that may happen with the coffee or wine. Anyway, we shall see...

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#320868 - 12/17/07 10:35 AM
Zara

Coffee? Yummy.... I haven't had coffee in a year and a half and I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try it again just yet. But perhaps the time will come
I've been drinking small amounts of beer but I'm pretty sure I'll have some wine when I go to my relatives' for the holidays (going for four days) since they're wine lovers. So I'll see how I handle that
BTW congrats on doing so well! It's so exciting, I stare at my stomach in disbelief every day . The bloating is so much better (of course, my non-IBS, stomach-concaved sister probably has a different idea of "no bloating" but for me it's a huge improvement ).

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

No wheat but still gluten??? new
      #320869 - 12/17/07 11:32 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Can you explain further how you still eat gluten but not wheat products? I'm talking about breads/pasta, etc... I have been experiementing with this also and I definitely feel better with the gluten free stuff but it's not really that tasty. Do you eat pasta or bread and what kind? Thanks.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: No wheat but still gluten??? new
      #320882 - 12/17/07 01:29 PM
Zara

Sure. What I meant was that I avoid wheat as an ingredient. I avoid wheat pasta, breads, crackers, etc (well, as I admitted before I do have one cookie a day ). Once I'm stable for a while I will try to determine if there is a safe level of wheat to eat.
However, I don't watch out for gluten since I don't have celiac disease. Gluten can be contained in a lot of things, such as certain brands of soy sauce, vinegar, salsa, beer, etc. Oats can also be contaminated with gluten. But I really believe that it's only wheat that bothers me and not gluten (which is the wheat protein) so that's why I don't try to avoid it. I avoid commercially prepared products as much as I can so I don't care if I get some gluten in my glass of beer.

What I do eat right now is quinoa, rice, potatoes (white and sweet), buckwheat, rice cakes, oats, rice noodles. Sometimes I make brown rice pasta (it's pretty close to the real thing). Other people here eat soba noodles but I haven't tried them yet. Maybe later I will also add some gluten free bread but right now I don't feel the need to. When I first experimented with gluten/wheat free diet I used to make breads using none-wheat flours or I used Bob's Red Mill mix which I actually liked a lot.
Hopefully you can find something that tastes good to you !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Thank you. That's kind of what I've been trying. n/t new
      #320909 - 12/17/07 07:32 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: No wheat but still gluten??? new
      #320928 - 12/18/07 06:58 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

There is always oats, rye, barley, spelt (I think). I used to eat tons of puffins cereal Puffins which is wheat free but not gluten free. Wheat free leaves much more freedom, I believe. I see lots of products that say wheat free (like Fig Neuman's cookies cookies )

As Zara mentioned, it is the sauces and additives that you usually don't have to worry about if you are doing wheat free but not gluten free.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1467 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 60292

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review