All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gallbladder Surgery
      #320819 - 12/16/07 10:02 AM
Stebbs

Reged: 09/14/07
Loc: Colorado

I just had gallbladder surgery last week. I had IBS-D before and now its made it so much worse. I can't leave the house. Has this also happened to anyone? Do you think I it would be good to get on Questran to see if it helps?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gallbladder Surgery new
      #320841 - 12/16/07 05:31 PM
pixiegoddess

Reged: 01/18/07

Sorry to hear you are having such problems. I had gallbladder surgery 4 weeks ago. I am predominently C so for me the week or so of looser stools wasn't as big a deal for me. I continued with Heather's fiber, though, and I think that has helped keep things regulated. I only had the problems for about a week or two an now I'm fine. I know it takes the body up to 6 weeks to get used to not having a gallbladder, so hopefully for you things will get better. Maybe with time the D will start to subside. Since I don't have the same problem, it's hard for me to tell you what to do, but hang in there and maybe things will improve. How do you feel otherwise? I feel so much better. Good luck!

#320853 - 12/17/07 08:34 AM
colettewoolf

Reged: 10/28/06

Hi Pixiegoddess and others with gallbladder issues: thanks for your positive approach & info, Pixie. Tomorrow is my gall bladder surgery -- if my surgeon can get out of jury duty! Totally weird, never heard of docs being called for jury duty with operations pending...
I'm a little disturbed that I have had NO communication from the surgeon's office about pre-op prep. I've discovered on the web that there are things I shouldn't eat or take, but since I just had an emergency tooth extraction (which I told the surgeon's office about) I'm concerned that some of the pain killers may interfere.
I'm really trying to stay positive, tho. My stress has been off the charts this year for health and other things, but I want to go into this with an upbeat attitude, and your experience Pixie is helping me.
So a question about the fiber: the Acacia really is a great product. Haven't been taking it religiously lately, but I will resume right after the surgery -- is that what you did? Once or twice a day?
Just had a terrible IBS attack with full-strength cramps and D, probably due to some things I shouldn't have eaten at a couple of holiday parties! But I'm eager to do anything I can to get through the surgery and aftermath with as much good self-care as possible and a good attitude. My life with IBS and (apparent) GB problems has been miserable, and I'm hoping it can only get better.
So I'm hearing: do the fiber, eat very low or no fat for a while, and have a stock of that anti-diarrhea/cholesterol drug onhand (which I do, from a previous D bout), take it easy but walk whenever I can. Is that about the gist of it? I'm also going to check into a relaxation tape, to try to rachet down the stress....

#320935 - 12/18/07 07:21 AM
pixiegoddess

Reged: 01/18/07

Yep, you got it! Hopefully your surgeon will be able to do the surgery! How frusrating that must be for you!

I only take the fiber once a day in the morning, and for me that seems to work. I took it right away after surgery - probably the second day after surgery, since I was in the hospital overnight and didn't take it the first morning after. I only had problems with softer stools/D for the first week or two post surgery, but I am more on the C side so I don't know how it affects people who are predominantly D. I am 4 1/2 weeks post surgery now and am eating just about anything I want now. Still can't eat a lot at one time, but that's fine with me. I'm beginning to wonder if I really had IBS, but I do still have some GI issues, so maybe just a little. I don't seem to be nearly as bad as most people on this site.

The walking helps to move the gas/air around and out after surgery. It is uncomfortable for about a week but will get better. Good luck and keep in touch!

#322944 - 01/22/08 01:16 PM

Unregistered

I have had IBSD for over 35 years now and had my gallbladder removed 25 years ago (Iam now 55). At that time I was a lot better for some considerable time.
However, I would suggest that you take Heathers Acacia fiber and also calcium tablets. I have been taking Acacia now for over 3 years and have got some stability. Personally I am on so many prescribed meds for hypertension & diabetes but I will not stop the Acacia as long as I can afford it.
I guess your surgery was keyhole ? - I had a 6 inch cut and the scar to prove it!!
Look after yourself, take things slowly - IMO it is still invasive surgery even if it was keyhole.
Judith

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2735 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1972

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review