All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
antidepressants and ibs
      #320713 - 12/14/07 04:54 PM
erica123

Reged: 12/14/07
Loc: New York

I have suffered from IBS for the past year. It has totally taken over my life, I was scared to go out of the house in fear of an attack. I couldnt find anything that helped me, fiber, exercise, peppermint oil, diet changes , ive tried it all, and nothing would help. But last week I started Lexapro and antidepressant/anxiety medication. I have only been on it for a week and my IBS symptoms are almost non existent. I just wanted to let people know that if you guys are still struggling after trying every option, you should go to your doctor and see if antidepressants are right for you. They usually take a few weeks to work, my symptoms improved within days, and I feel like I can live my life again.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: antidepressants and ibs new
      #320715 - 12/14/07 05:24 PM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

I'm very happy for you! I wish I could say the same worked for me. I was on Elavil then Zoloft, and my IBS symptoms were still very much present. The newest thing is Bentyl, which I have only been taking for 2 days... I know that's not an anti-depressant, but I sure hope it works! Nothing else has!
Did you ever try an anti-spasmodic?

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

#320716 - 12/14/07 05:32 PM
erica123

Yes, Ive tried them. They didnt seem to help me much though.

#320732 - 12/15/07 06:21 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I am on bentyl i have been for the last 9 months! I truley belive it has helped me! hang in there!
emmasmom
ibs-c

#320759 - 12/15/07 09:57 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

Can I ask you if you are IBS-D or C? My GI doc prescribed Lexapro for me but I never took them. I had read that they can aggravate D in the beginning and wasn't sure if I wanted to try it.

I control mine a lot with diet but in addition (when I have to go out) I take preemptive imodium or lomotil. I've had too many anxiety type attacks of thinking I had to go far away from a bathroom. I grew tired of dragging my kids all around looking for one!

I'm glad you are being helped!!! What mg are you taking?
Sandy

#320789 - 12/15/07 03:42 PM
erica123

I am an IBS-A, but mostly C. I usually only get D when I have anxiety attacks.

What do you mean by mg?

#320790 - 12/15/07 03:45 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

I meant what the dossage was. sorry! If it helps with anxiety, and that's the main cause of my IBS, then maybe it's worth a try!
Sandy

#320809 - 12/16/07 06:08 AM
erica123

Im on the lowest dose of 10mg. Sometimes it can take a few weeks to feel the effects so if you start it and dont feel any changes you have to keep taking it. Its the same way if you feel any side effects, they may be there in the beginning but you have to keep taking them for side effects to go away.

-Erica

Re: Bentyl new
      #320813 - 12/16/07 07:48 AM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

caitlineb
I was given Bentyl and havent taken it yet. It just all makes me nervous. My doc. also told me to take it as needed... like if I feel an attack coming on. Do you take it everyday no matter what or as needed? And has it caused any side effects? If theres a side effect listed, I will get it. Also now I might have celiac, so I am wondering if I should take bentyl or not.

Stefanie

#320822 - 12/16/07 10:41 AM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

Bentyl is an antispasmodic so it will calm abdominal cramping. I'm usually very sensitive to meds & the only side effect I noticed w/bentyl is a feeling of light-headedness, not dizzy, but kind of a fuzzy feeling, if that makes sense. It did make me a little drowsy but not enough to cause problems. Other side effects listed were nausea & dry mouth, but I didn't experience those. HTH!

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

#320826 - 12/16/07 11:55 AM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

I haven't really noticed any major difference in how I feel after taking the Bentyl for a few days. My doc told me to take it 3 times a day, so that's what I've been doing... I feel better than I did this time last week, but maybe that's because I am being anal retentive about my diet. I'm trying really hard not to stray! And I haven't noticed any weird side effects from taking the Bentyl.

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

#321060 - 12/20/07 01:20 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

Can Xanax or Klonopin(ie benzodiazaapines) work as well as an antispasmodic in calming the gut?

#321112 - 12/21/07 01:54 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I would say no, since I have used both ADs and Xanax. I take Bentyl only when I need it. An "attack" for me is REALLY bad gas pain. It usually gets rid of my symptoms within half an hour. I do, however, notice that I get dry mouth after I take it. Other than that, it works great!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#321318 - 12/29/07 08:33 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

Quote:

Can Xanax or Klonopin(ie benzodiazaapines) work as well as an antispasmodic in calming the gut?

I've been taking Xanax for several years to help me sleep - No it does not help with the spasms - but I sure do sleep good on it

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#321392 - 12/31/07 03:16 PM
Sneaker

Reged: 12/31/07
Loc: Montreal

Antidepressants CAUSED my IBS. I have Borderline Personality Disorder and as such need to take cocktail of meds to control my moods.

One anti I was on was Effexor. I was MISERABLE. I lost 10 pounds in a month without trying only because EVERYTHING I ate made me sick, except bread. I was crying from the pain almost every single day. I had horrific nightmares, would get dizzy for no reason, felt 'brain shivers'....the week after I took my last pill (after talking to my doctor and TAPERING OFF. Never, ever, ever quit cold turkey), I was able to eat more than bread. I had to slowly introduce foods back into my diet, and discovered that I could no longer tolerate milk, regular yoghurt, ice cream, etc. Things just got worse after that once I realised that a lot of the food I was able to eat before, I could no longer eat.

My point is....seriously, take them with caution. Many antis are known to cause some tummy problems, Effexor being one of them. Not only that, but going off of Effexor can be hell.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 720 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5643

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review