All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
I'm new to IBS and miserable
      #320386 - 12/10/07 05:48 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Hey everyone, I'm new to this website and new to IBS. I'm 25 and diagnosed about a month ago. So far I'm miserable almost everyday. I've been reading all your posts and I bought the First Year with IBS book from this website and the diet seems to help. So far though my doctor has only given me Fibercon. I take that everyday but it sometimes just doesnt matter. Right now I am just very frustrated and depressed. I eat the same thing every day... grilled chicken and white rice. Every time I stray slightly from that diet, I am miserable. I just feel like my fun times are over at age 25. Did any of you feel this way when you were first diagnosed? I also have been through a lot this year. I had open heart surgery in April and I truely haven't felt well in over a year. I dont know how this IBS thing started for me, but what I thought was just lactose intolerance, I think was truely IBS all along. I'm also a first grade teacher and my stress and anxiety level is through the roof. I just cant seem to calm down about all this. Do I sound ridiculous? Cause I kindof feel ridiculous. I dont know if this was the right message board to post this on or not, but I thought I would get it out there. Thanks for listening!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm new to IBS and miserable new
      #320397 - 12/10/07 11:51 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Howdy and welcome. I can sympathize with you about grilled chicken and white rice … that's all I can eat when I am not stable. But when I start to feel better I can start adding different things and make grilled chicken and white rice a delicious meal. Many good recipes are on this site. Take a look.

My wife had open heart surgery years ago and managed to regain all her strength and vitality. It just takes some time to feel better. Hang in there. The fun times are never over … there is always something that we can smile about.

And you don't sound ridiculous to me.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#320418 - 12/11/07 09:44 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Hi there, you are not alone – and you don't sound ridiculous! I am 29 years old, and was diagnosed with IBS when I was 17. Though I have specific memories of symptoms as early as 14, if not even before that. Unfortunately, I lived in a small town with limited resources and very old-fashioned doctors. I was given antispasmotic meds that made me feel like an alien in my own body (I discontinued them after a couple of months), and was told to simply eat bland foods and try to increase my fiber. Nothing more specific than that – and I never really followed the advice anyway. For the next 8-9 years, I went through periods of flare-ups and even complete remission – I could sometimes go up to a year or more with no symptoms. But starting about 3-4 years ago, the periods of remission starting becoming shorter and shorter. I've had times when I've been terrified to leave home. So I'm essentially in the same boat as you – a young woman in her 20's feeling like her life is over before it ever really began.

I started lurking on this website about 2-3 years ago, but never posted or tried the diet until very recently (no milk, cheese, steak, or egg yolks – are you KIDDING me???). I was invited to a Halloween party on October 26th and, after getting all dressed up for it, ended up spending the entire night stuck on my toilet without ever making it to the party. It was sort of the straw that broke the camel's back, and I finally ordered Heather's book – Eating for IBS. It hasn't been easy, and the first week I was cheating quite a bit, but I finally realized that I'm not doing myself any favours by not giving the diet at least a fair chance. I have been feeling a little better, but no where near 100% yet (I'm still going through alternating cycles of C and D – just had some D Saturday morning ), but the folks on the board say it may take weeks or even months to stabilize. Taking Acacia is also supposed to help – Fibercon, if I'm not mistaken, contains some insoluble fiber, so you might do better switching to Acacia or Benefiber, which is soluble fiber only. I've been taking the Acacia for over a year but only started increasing my dose last month. I am up to 7 g per day now.

Anyway just wanted to welcome you to the board and let you know you are not alone!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Edited by Erilyn (12/11/07 12:03 PM)

#320419 - 12/11/07 09:46 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

I am so sorry you are feeling so down. Welcome to this board. I have found it to be a wealth of knowledge and through carefully following Heather's diet and taking her Tummy Fiber I am now able to enjoy limited range in my diet--at least I don't eat chicken and white rice EVERY day like I did for about a month. I am over twice your age but even still I would hate to think that all my fun was over because of my stupid tummy problems. IBS is so different for each one of us. One thing for sure--try Acacia (order from Heather) for your fiber. I was taking Metamucil and Fibercon when I stumbled onto this site and Acacia plus the diet (avoid triggers) helped me sooooo much. Sorry to hear about your heart surgery. That is a MAJOR stresser for the body. Give youself time to heal and come back to full strength by taking it as easy as you can. I taught school for a few years before grad school and I know how stressful it can be. Hang in there!!!

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#320428 - 12/11/07 11:56 AM
melinda413

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Findlay, OH

I can completely sympathize with you. I am 25 and have been dealing with IBS for just over a year now. I felt like all my fun was over, I couldn't go out to eat with my friends or go drinking or even date. I agree with everyone else on here in that the first step is the acacia fiber! I was using Citrucel per my Dr and it made me feel awful, but when I switched to the acacia I started noticing the difference. Gradually you can try other foods and now I can eat a variety and can even go out to eat if I am careful. Good luck!!

--------------------
Melinda
IBS-A but leans toward C mostly

#320523 - 12/12/07 02:56 PM
steffiejoy

Thank you everyone for your advice. This past weekend just seemed rough. I had a bridal shower and my nieces birthday in the same weekend. So I stared at cake, icecream and pizza and didnt eat it. I just stuck to the bread baskets. And like a few of you said its just hard when I go out with my friends and I order a water while they all order a long island! Not that I ever drank alot but every now and then I could use one drink! I guess I just have to get used to all this and kinda get over it and do the best I can to feel good. And yeah going out to dinner is almost impossible. Then I feel bad cause when I am running to the bathroom at a restaurant all I want to do is go home and then my husband has to go home too. But he has been so supportive of all Ive been through this year, but I still feel bad. I dont know, I went back to the doctor yesterday and he gave me medicine called Bentyl. Ever heard of it? He said to take it as needed. He was also concerned that I might have Celiac Sprue because I am losing a lot of weight. But I dont think I have that, anyone ever heard of it? All I really eat is bread and rice and Sprue is a gluten issue! My doctor also told me that I need to lower my stress level. Well as any of you teachers out there no, stress comes with the job! Also I work in a rough neighborhood in Cleveland, so its even more stressful. Anyways, thank you all very much for your words of support and help! I will try that acacia that you recommended. It really seems like fibercon doesnt do a whole lot for me. Its good to know that theres this support group out there because it seems like some people dont have any clue what youre talking about!

#320527 - 12/12/07 04:07 PM
ms.mindful

Reged: 10/17/06

Welcome Steffie! We are happy to have you here with us and to be of support in any way we can during this challenging time. As you can see from the responses you've received we all sympathize with the wide range of emotions you are experiencing. And as you can see, many of us have been in the place of only being able to tolerate rice and chicken.

I remember during that time for me I had lost 15 lbs in one month! I was scared and found no real support till I found this website which provided some real eating guidelines to follow. Keeping a journal of everything I ate along with my physical reactions to the food choices was KEY in helping me to learn my own unique set of body operating instructions. For so many the acacia/metamucil etc. thing works, for me it doesn't. What's important is that you learn about what works for you and documenting it helps you to discover what that is.

Regarding the deep emotions one experiences... I can't express myself strongly enough here but please, please do your very best to not let your IBS diminish the light you bring to the world. Don't allow it to take your true power away AND at the same time allow room for your sadness, frustration, anxiety, etc.

I found I made great peace with my IBS condition when I began visiting a meditation center and hearing talks about how powerful my thoughts were. You are not your less than positive thoughts you are something different. You are whole, you are not broken!

I will hold healing intentions for you Steffie as you find your way to peacefully be with your IBS.

Warmly,
Alicia

Thank you for all your support new
      #320532 - 12/12/07 04:29 PM
steffiejoy

Thank you Alicia for those kind words! I dont get frustrated easily. But I guess on top of the open heart surgery and other stressors in my life, IBS was like the straw that broke the camels back. I just got to a point where I said ok, thats it I'm done now. I am sure all of you have been through it where you just go through a huge amount of time when you just feel aweful all the time. I can remember having IBS symptoms when I was younger but I self-diagnosed myself as being lactose intolerant. Then things just got way worse and it seemed that no matter what I ate I had D and camps. It seems like things get better then I have an attack. Argh, oh well. I try to make the best of it I just feel depressed a lot of the times. Plus my anxiety is ridiculous! I've never been anxious like this before. But now I am nervous all the time that I am going to get sick and I'm nervous being around lots of people or out in public. Anxiety and depression runs in my family so I've always tried to keep a close watch on it. But it seems like depression and anxiety kindof come with IBS. Is that true? It seems like thats the case for other people I have talked to. Also I was wondering if anyone else had problems with artificial sugar and flavoring? It seems I cant eat ketchup anymore! I tried that with my plain chicken the other night and that didnt work out so well. Oh well, the fibercon I think does help, but I am not sure if its actually the fibercon or the fact that I only eat chicken and white rice. Every once and I while I get daring and have a plain baked potato! Anyways thank you so much for your words of advice and support. My doctor just prescribed me Bentyl along with Fibercon. If anyone knows anything about Bentyl please let me know how youve done with it. Because it seems like if theres a side effect, I will get it. Thanks again!!

Re: Thank you for all your support new
      #320536 - 12/12/07 04:36 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Stef,

I have seen post on Bentyl on here. Personally I Havent taken it. But do a search and I am sure you will find info. I hope you feel better soon. Hugs

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

Re: Thank you for all your support new
      #320539 - 12/12/07 04:56 PM
steffiejoy

Thanks for the Bentyl info. I was just wondering if it helped anyone.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2403 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6224

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review