All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
(fructose mal.) Is it just me, or....
      #320364 - 12/10/07 01:05 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

does this fructose intolerance theme seem to be chronic lately? Are we all just scaring ourselves from other people saying they are FI? I don't remember it being so common before.

I know some of you know for sure, but often times I worry that the boards put unwarranted fears into our minds....restricting our bodies out of more nutrients than necessary.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: (fructose mal.) Is it just me, or.... new
      #320367 - 12/10/07 01:36 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I've always had problems with fruit in general - so it's not like fructose intolerance put a new idea in my head - just a name. It sort of validated why I always had such an awful time with fruit - especially fruit juices.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#320378 - 12/10/07 02:40 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I think some people probably really do have FI, but I don't think it's the cause of everyone's IBS. However, I understand when someone has had IBS for a long time and nothing seems to help and they are trying to find answers/help. It's probably a good thing to rule out FI. I don't think it's a good idea to obsess over it -- because that would certainly cause a lot of anxiety and that would aggravate one's IBS symptoms. I think people need to remember that diet is only one part of it -- and that we're not using dietary changes to cure IBS or find a cause for it. We're just trying to eat in a way that minimizes over-stimulation of the GI tract.

quite so new
      #320388 - 12/10/07 06:53 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It is taking over the forum but I don't want to say anything because Murphy's Law and all, I would probably have it! I have never done a FI test/elimination and I love fruit so much that it would be so ironically cruel!!! I think lately there has been some intimidation caused by suggesting certain things other than Heather's trigger list are causing symptoms for us. We certainly want to give our gut the best chance but stress is much more of a factor than certain non-trigger-list foods- like OMG basil for crying out loud! Sorry I know I will get FI now. NOOOOOOOO!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#320401 - 12/11/07 05:41 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Yeah, i'm with Erilyn. I've never been able to handle fruit juices and smoothies etc. They always screw me up even when i'm stable. I do agree that it does seem to be getting out of control on the boards though. Desperate times, desperate measures i guess.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Guilty as charged new
      #320464 - 12/11/07 09:01 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I've posted a lot about fructose intolerance as well as wheat/gluten type questions b/c I am generally stable with Heather's diet and meds but I am not quite "there" completely. I continue to have terrible gas and bloating which I am trying to alleviate and yes, I am searching for other possible triggers. I agree that newcomers may be confused but when I think back to when I was a newcomer, I think I understood clearly that talk of celiac, etc. did not mean that it necessarily pertained to me. Like many of you, I had always noticed sensitivity to some fruits and maybe syrup (or was it the pancakes/waffles/eggs in the french toast?). We are all looking for hope I guess when we're not feeling 100% which with IBS is rare of course.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#320467 - 12/12/07 01:03 AM
Kitchentrolls

Reged: 12/06/07

I think you are both right and wrong. Fear will without a doubt not make ones symtoms better (more likely worse).
But positive thinking will not make a lactose-intolerant (for example) absorbe lactose any better.
I believe that fructose malabsorbtion is not spreading and is not "contagiuos", but fear can definitely "spread" and it is important to make it clear that any beginners should try EFI diet and SF supplements for at least 1-2 months before making any ungrounded judgement about it not working for them. However, I also believe that after a trial period of several weeks (maybe months) one should definitely look in to other posibilities if the symtoms persevere. Maybe fructose or sorbitol could be the problem? And I dont think it would be dangerous at that point to try a modified EFI diet for a couple of weeks, just to find out. If the symtoms dont improve despite all the measurements, then maybe one should go back to EFI and pay their doctor another visit?

Re: Guilty as charged new
      #320498 - 12/12/07 09:47 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

I personally appreciate all of the posts I read about FI and appreciate the ability to ask questions about it. I was so depressed and needed and answer. I tried the FI diet and BAM! I feel soooooooooo much better. Not today however. I spent the weekend in vegas and fell off the wagon. I am paying for it, but I plan on getting back on the diet tomorrow. I am so glad I found a way to feel better.

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

Re: Guilty as charged new
      #320504 - 12/12/07 10:59 AM
Kitchentrolls

Reged: 12/06/07

I am so happy for you! The fructose malabsorption diet in combination with EFI is what have really made all the difference for me! I used to have D up to 20 times a day (!!) and I was literally a prisoner in my own home. Now I have "normal" BMs and can be just as social as I have longed for all this time. A great victory!

Okay new
      #320508 - 12/12/07 11:52 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I'm not trying to "blame" anyone or saying that some people don't have problems with Fructose. I just think that the boards have gone a little over board with putting the fear of fructose into people's minds....especially new posters or people, like myself, who fear the foods when so many people start stating that it is a trigger for them. A new poster might be so fearful of apples or applesauce if they just started reading this sight.

I just don't remember anyone ever being so restrictive with fructose in the past. There were many stable posters who ate apples and pears and were quite stable. And, Heather's diet doesn't have it as a trigger food like the other trigger foods, which I think she would have if it was truly a trigger food. In fact, she even has apples and pears included in her sample menus in the EFI book. She does emphasize that juices (which are much higher in fructose), but not high fructose fruits....the real thing.

I just know that for those, like myself, who are really struggling, you can convince yourself of something just because you want something to help.

If a low fructose diet helps you....then great. I'm sure it is a problem for many. My comment was that I have observed a huge increase in the number of posters now stating that Fructose is a problem for them. That's all. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Maybe I just can't read these boards anymore because for me, I start to fear foods that others have reported problems with...and wonder what I'm missing. I'm sure I'm not alone with this. Or, that I'm not trying hard enough.

Maybe it helps those with D more???

Anyhow, please just

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 936 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17917

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review