All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Guilty as charged new
      #321279 - 12/28/07 04:47 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

Are you taking any probiotics? I'm also following Heather's diet and continue to have a problem with gas and bloating - My nurse suggested today that I probably need a good probiotic so I called the co op and got some info will go get some tomorrow. Good luck to you!

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#321332 - 12/30/07 08:56 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

No, I tried some probiotics when I first went on Heather's diet but I was adding/changing too many things at once. I was also taking digestive enzymes and I had no more d, but MULTIPLE bms daily. I suppose it was the probiotics way of cleaning me out. I stopped b/c I had too much anxiety and I wanted to see if the acacia and the diet would stop the d by themselves (which they did along with an AD later on). I bet they are great...not sure how effective for gas/ bloating, but I'm too leery of changing anything in my routine b/c my bm schedule is pretty normal. Let me now how it goes if you try.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#321366 - 12/31/07 06:25 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

I just read "fat malabsorption" in your signature... I haven't heard of that.. how did you know you have it? can you not eat any fat? or just large amounts of it don't work for you?

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

#321679 - 01/04/08 07:23 PM
CJIBSDG

Quote:

I just read "fat malabsorption" in your signature... I haven't heard of that.. how did you know you have it? can you not eat any fat? or just large amounts of it don't work for you?

I'm sorry I'm so late in responding back to you. I had a 24 hour fecal fat test - You eat 100 grams of fat in a day then 24 hours later, you collect your stools for 24 hours and bring it to the lab. They look at it to see how much fat is contained in the stool. The maximum amount that a person should have is 7 (I don't know the units), I had 14. My doctor didn't say anything about eliminating fat from my diet, but he hasn't given me a whole lot of useful information on anything. What I do know is that my body just doesn't absorb fat like it should - which is an indicator of many things: crohn's, celiac, pancreatic insufficiency, SIBO, giarrdia. I've been tested for all of the above with the exception of SIBO which I'll be getting tested for soon. I am very careful of the amount of fat I eat and things have been better - but who knows at this point.

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#321901 - 01/08/08 05:43 AM
Pud

100 grams of fat in one day??? yikes!! sounds yucky lol... i am so used to eating low fat that i can't even imagine that.. but i guess it would be easy... two burgers at mcdonalds and that should do it..

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#321902 - 01/08/08 06:22 AM
Miaon2better

Reged: 01/03/08
Loc: Puget Sound; West Of Seattle as the gull flies

5 grams of fat is 1 diabetic fat exchange. 1 diabetic fat exchange is about 45 Kcals. A fat exchange is about 1 tsp of oil.

100 grams of fat would be 20 fat exchanges I believe unless my memory is malfunctioning. That is a lot of fat.

Jeanette are you sure about the 100 grams of fat to eaten in a day for this test, maybe it was 100 Kcals instead? What exactly did they have you eat? How many Ts or ts of fat? Or what was the menu?

When my gall bladder stopped working I couldn't even eat 1/4 a tsp of oil without symptoms.

100gs of fat would likely give me pancreatitis; as I still can tolerate very little fat. My liver wouldn't appreciate it either.

I'd avoid such a test if they did ask me to eat that much fat in a week let alone 24 hrs, as I know fat is what really gets my guts in major pain. Yikes!

#322240 - 01/13/08 08:18 AM
CJIBSDG

Quote:

5 grams of fat is 1 diabetic fat exchange. 1 diabetic fat exchange is about 45 Kcals. A fat exchange is about 1 tsp of oil.
100 grams of fat would be 20 fat exchanges I believe unless my memory is malfunctioning. That is a lot of fat.
Jeanette are you sure about the 100 grams of fat to eaten in a day for this test, maybe it was 100 Kcals instead? What exactly did they have you eat? How many Ts or ts of fat? Or what was the menu?

When my gall bladder stopped working I couldn't even eat 1/4 a tsp of oil without symptoms.

100gs of fat would likely give me pancreatitis; as I still can tolerate very little fat. My liver wouldn't appreciate it either.

I'd avoid such a test if they did ask me to eat that much fat in a week let alone 24 hrs, as I know fat is what really gets my guts in major pain. Yikes!

Yep, it was 100 grams of fat. The purpose of the test is to see if you have a fat malabsorption. I don't think I got 100 grams in though because I got horrible D before I could eat everything planned. What I ate was sausage egg mcmuffin and hasbrowns from McDonald's (which if I remember correctly that was 25 or 35 grams) then I ate at Olive garden, I don't remember everything I ate there, but I do recall the fried cheese sticks and mushroom appetizers. I think I probably got in about 80 grams by the time the D kicked in. My doctor told me (after the fact) that they recommend you eat 3 meals at McDonalds and that should get you the 100 grams. I believe the reason for the 100 grams is that they know how much your body should expel with this specific amount and if the amount in your stool is greater than that, then they know you have a malabsorption problem. A healthy small intestine will absorb almost all of that fat, but an unhealthy one will expel more.

I knew going into the test that it was going to cause me some problems but I also NEED to know what is wrong with me, and if 1 or 2 days of pain and discomfort is what it takes then so be it - and I can say that I would do it all over again because otherwise I would be diagnosed simply with IBS and receive no treatment. Now they know that there is something more going on with me that won't show up in any of the scopes, xrays etc.

Here's a link that describes this test: http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/stool_fat_test.jsp

--------------------

Fat Malabsorption new
      #322241 - 01/13/08 08:33 AM
CJIBSDG

Quote:

So, here's an interesting story regarding fat. I've been following Heather's diet for about 4 weeks now and doing much better. Last week, I was out of town all week on business - which could make diet pretty tough but I planned very carefully bringing single serving containers of rice, tuna, bread, oatmeal, applesauce and my teas. All week, I ate the above foods for breakfast and lunch but had dinner at the hotel each night. My dinner each night was grilled skinless chicken breast and baked potato (with nothing on it). But one night I decided to have salmon instead of chicken, they served it with green beans (which have never upset my stomach) so I ate about 1/4 of the beans... The next day I was back to my "Old Normal" - I had 8 BMs the next day, felt horrible with gas bloating and pain. So I was trying to figure out what I had eaten that could have gotten me so upset and all I could figure was maybe they put butter on the beans so I asked the next night when I went back and yep they sure did (even though I had explained to the waitress that I cannot have butter or oil in any quantity). But what is so intersting about this is how much butter do you suppose would be in the small amount of beans I ate - maybe 1/2 tsp at most which I believe would be about 2 grams of fat (plus the fat from 1/2 filet of salmon) - That is how intolerant my system is of FAT!!

--------------------

Re: Fat Malabsorption new
      #322282 - 01/13/08 09:56 PM
Pud

isn't salmon a fatty fish? i don't eat fish, but i thought salmon as fatty... i could be wrong

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

Re: Fat Malabsorption new
      #322333 - 01/14/08 03:37 PM
CJIBSDG

Yes, salmon has one of the highest contents of fat in terms of fishes... 3.5 oz of salmon has about 7 grams of fat. I typically eat it once a week and am fine with it though. I eat skinless, boneless grilled chicken breasts the rest of the week which has only 3 grams....

So, it is possible that the fat from the butter on the beans just put me over the top in terms of the amount of fat I can safely eat. I have no idea. I've only been following the diet for a month now so I'm sure I have plenty to learn yet. I just know that I eat salmon once every week with no problems, so I assume it was the butter on the beans that caused my problem on this particular day - since that was the first time I've had butter since following the diet.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 567 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18225

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review