All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Okay new
      #320517 - 12/12/07 01:11 PM
Kitchentrolls

Reged: 12/06/07

You are quite right. I think that it is a risk that some people will start to have fears for foods that they used to have no problems with before. I really hope I havenīt contributed to such fears! I dont think that apples or applesauce are triggerfoods for the vast majority of IBS sufferers, but that they can be a problem to some. And, as you say, the fructose malabsorption diet might benefit those with D more than C. Maybe we should just drop this subject cause I really donīt want to offend or scare somebody. Best regards

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Okay new
      #320520 - 12/12/07 02:46 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

I really donīt want to offend or scare somebody

Neither did I. Honestly. Cross my heart! Nobody should feel that they have to defend themselves or apologize. Heck, I still don't know if fructose is a problem for me or not.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Guilty as charged new
      #320525 - 12/12/07 03:00 PM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

I don't really get D very often (once or twice a week - ha imagine that's being "normal")... my main problem is gas and bloating... when I first started the FI diet I was getting D.. but once I started adding different foods in I was fine... tonight is my last night before I go back to it.. I just ate a sandwhich and soup from Panera and I am so so so tempted to get a latte or ice cream!!! I am going to be paying for what I ate already.. why not make it worse?? lol

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

#320528 - 12/12/07 04:10 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

I hope your going to be okay with panera bread soup. As i ate the chicken noodle in a sourdough bread bowl and I stay mainly to the C side and with in an hour of eating this I was rumbling and wounded up with loose bowels. I think there soups have tooooo much fat. becareful over there..

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

BTW glad you said it new
      #320529 - 12/12/07 04:21 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

instead of me.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#320538 - 12/12/07 04:56 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Good point that newcomers should try to get stable with Heather's diet and sf supplements first. I would imagine that people who are FI probably could benefit from avoiding Heather's triggers also. Then if maximum stability is not reached, looking into other things like fructose and wheat or gluten would help. I am thankful for all of the talk about it here b/c it came at a time when I needed to look further. In fact, I'm not completely sure, but I can definitely see a huge improvement in gas since avoiding gluten products more often. If I was a new person, I guess I could get confused.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Fructose, fear and knowledge new
      #320562 - 12/13/07 05:46 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The way to conquer fear is with knowledge!

If fructose malabsorption makes you afraid then one of the best ways to put this fear aside is to get tested or try the low fructose diet and see how it works for you! If it doesn't help then ignore the messages about fructose just like many of us ignore posting about such foods as soy because it give us too much gas and bloating even though it is recommended by Heather.

Don't be surprised to see a further increase in the number of people with IBS reporting that reducing their free fructose load improves their IBS. Over the past couple of years more GP & GI doctors have been including a fructose breath test or suggesting their IBS patients reduce their fructose load. And you will notice that more IBS diets from reputable GI centers are encouraging a greater reduction in the consumption of foods with excess fructose and fructans (for example see this web page ).

IBS is a syndrome. Heather IBS guidelines are excellent place to start for managing IBS symptoms. It is not the complete answer and for many of us we have to supplement her great EFI diet with other management tools that we have learned work well for us. Please have the courteous to allow us to share these additional IBS management techniques without worrying about who might be afraid of our useful knowledge!

Good Luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: BTW glad you said it new
      #320563 - 12/13/07 06:16 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

That's okay...I can take it. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I know others must have been thinking it also.

Thanks for your support Little Minnie. Thank you for understanding the purpose of my post.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: BTW glad you said it new
      #320567 - 12/13/07 06:50 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Add me to the list of people who are glad this was finally mentioned, too.

If this had been an issue when I started the diet, I would have been too terrified to eat anything but white bread and rice.

Re: Fructose, fear and knowledge new
      #320599 - 12/13/07 10:44 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Great post Syl! Wise, reasonable, and logical- love it! Thank you

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 369 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18225

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review