All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
extreme exhaustion
      #320353 - 12/10/07 10:15 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have asked several times here if anyone gets a day here and there with exhaustion, general malaise, slight achiness and headache and slight nausea and no one does. These symptoms for me have increased from a couple times a year to every day in the last week. My IBS has been really bad for 2-3 months and I finally have my GI doc appt tomorrow. But in the meantime I have had extreme exhaustion coming on more and more to having it nonstop since Wednesday. I have no other symptoms but wanting to sleep all the time. I still don't know if it is related to IBS, especially being my IBS has been so bad. So I went to my family doc today and was tested for blood sugar, mono, thyroid and white cell count. I am still waiting for info on the thyroid but the others are negative. I will be curious to see what the GI doc says tomorrow about this exhaustion and whether it is digestion related. My family doc said it could be SAD and recommended a light. I suppose that is possible, but on the other hand I want to do things and be my usual active self it just feels like I have no energy.
I want to know if anyone else has had an experience like this so that might help my doctor figure out what is going on with me. It is too bad I have to add this to my present condition. It was bad enough to go to the GI doc and say I have excrutiating bloat, pain and gas and nothing else; now I have all those things and extreme exhaustion. Very strange!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: extreme exhaustion new
      #320358 - 12/10/07 12:07 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I have dealt with extreme exhaustion and muscle fatigue so I can relate. I thought it was just part of my IBS since the exhaustion seemed to correlate with bad IBS episodes, but recently I cleared up my IBS symptoms and the exhaustion remained. Then I thought it was still mono (which I had last feb). I recently got tested for iron, B12 and folate, and my B12 and folate are low (both of which can cause exhaustion). My doctor has tested before for 'anemia' but was only testing for iron. B12 and folate deficiency is also considered anemia and can cause the same symptoms. Have you had these 3 tested?

--------------------
Kat

#320389 - 12/10/07 07:02 PM
Little Minnie

That is very interesting thank you. I had a blood test today for blood sugar, anemia, mono, white cells, thryoid and I don't know what else. All were negative but I don't know if b12 and folate were included. My chiro has a test available to test nutrient deficiency. This came on so lately to such a degree that I haven't arranged it yet but definitely mean to. It is possible to be taking vitamins and eating pretty well and still be nutrient deficient. I think it is more common to have this with D but nevertheless I will look into it. I wonder what my GI will say tomorrow! It is so different from my normal self that it seems rather mysterious. I am addicted to exercise and so to not even try for days and just want to sleep and not workout, clean or do stuff is very strange. This afternoon I made myself walk in the sunshine for 20 minutes. My legs worked just fine but I just wanted to go home and sleep. However, all in all I feel better today than yesterday and that is good. I hope the doctor will be able to listen and comprehend everything I am telling him and not get focused on the exhaustion and overlook the reason I made the appt in the first place. I faxed a primer sheet to him today so he could be familiar with what I am dealing with and we could make the most of the appointment. I hope that was a good idea. Sorry to go on!!! I am pretty sidetracked by this.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#320392 - 12/10/07 08:16 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I understand completely. I used to workout a lot doing weights. I was up to 12 pound hand weights and my legs were really strong. Now I'm having trouble with 5 pound hand weights and my legs hurt after simple things like jogging. I have cut back my workouts but am still trying to gently work through the fatigue. All I think about during the workouts is having a nap afterwards lol. I do think I'm starting to get more energy finally. I have been taking the B12 and folate for a few weeks so that should be working. I hope that's my only reason for being tired.

It is possible to be taking vitamins and be deficient, especially with a compromised digestive system. I don't think vitamin deficiencies are necessarily more common in D people. One symptom of folate deficiency is alternating C and D, or just C or D (basically any digestive BM symptom). If it is a vitamin deficiency it's an easy fix. If it isn't then don't give up trying to figure it out. I know some doctors are quick to label chronic fatigue syndrome, but if being tired has come on suddenly then there has to be a reason for it.

There are some things I've done to cope with being tired a lot. Spreading out exercise into shorter times, like 10mins walking in the morning, 10 mins afternoon instead of 20 mins at a time seems to help. And resting when you feel the need, which can be hard with everyday life things getting in the way but try to make it a priority. Also getting protein with each meal/snack and reducing extra sugar. The worst is getting a energy crash from not eating properly on top of already being fatigued.

I wish you all the best. Let me know if you do find out why you're feeling so low energy. I'm always looking for ways to get more energy myself. Good luck with your GI appointment tomorrow. Maybe write down questions beforehand so you don't get sidetracked and forget about other symptoms.

--------------------
Kat

#320393 - 12/10/07 08:18 PM
Calli66

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: New Mexico USA

You might want to be tested for auto-immune antibodies. I found out I have Sjogren's Syndrome. I belong to a Sjogren's forum--a lot of people say that debilitating fatigue is one of their main symptoms. Auto-immune is not something that doctors usually check for.

Also, IBS and digestive problems are a common symptom for Sjogren's, as are achy joints.

Did they check just your TSH levels, or did they also test the thyroid hormones free T-3 and free T-4? The reference range for TSH has changed, but some labs still use the older wider range. So even if they tell you you're in range, double check the numbers, and ask questions.

Calli

#320400 - 12/11/07 05:36 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

I know what you guys mean. I've been feeling pretty exhausted recently- i can get 11 hours sleep at night and still feel tired and like ihave no energy. I've been getting dizziness as well. Haven't seen the doc about it as i just assume it's SAD because winter usually makes me feel down. However, i don't recall being so exhausted. But then my IBS has been particularly bad this year so that's probably why. Oh well, Minnie i hope your doc figures it out and that you feel more energised soon. I hope you gain more energy as well Kat. Let me know if you hear of advice to boost energy levels

xxx

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

thanks! new
      #320405 - 12/11/07 06:30 AM
Little Minnie

I have only had this condition for a little over a week. Looking back on my exercise calendar I missed a couple days here and there in November and chose to sleep in rather than exercise. Otherwise I was exercising pretty well, only 10 pound weights though LOL! A week ago Friday I felt great and I seem to have gone downhill from there. Tuesday last week I worked out but it was really pathetic and I was unenergetic at work. Still it is so new and different for me I really wonder what it could be. I am calling the clinic to see if they can test for b12 and folate this morning. Actually I am starting to improve some but last night I hardly slept at all (I think I indulged in too much dark chocolate! ) and so it is setting me back today. I still feel improved and a different kind of groggy. Well better get ready for the doctor!

--------------------

Re: thanks! new
      #320409 - 12/11/07 07:42 AM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

ive only had ibs for 2 months but have had panic disorder for 20 years(on and off).....I dont have fatigue but in the last week ive had nausea every day from morning till after lunch(i sympathize with pregnant women now and im a man).....so, i can relate to part of your post.....i wonder if you do have SAD or mild depression ...im on a low dose of prozac - 5mg and it helps with mood and energy levels...ie i also workout every day and on weekends run 10 milers.....of course, who knows what came first the depression or the ibs....its a vicious cycle........i hope we all feel better soon...

PEPPERMINT CAPSULES! new
      #320425 - 12/11/07 10:53 AM
Little Minnie

That was my GIs first recommendation. You know I only take them when I am gurgly and not before eating and he says to take them before meals for 2 weeks and see how well I improve. Then he has a low dose Levsin for me after that. He recommends probiotics and has a different one for me to use if needed. He says I am definitely IBS only and still doesn't recommend a colonoscopy. So I will faithfully take the pep caps. I am also going to be much more careful with my diet and cut back on sugar too.

--------------------

#320434 - 12/11/07 12:40 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Hang in there chick.
I've had some exhaustion myself, but never anything a doc could figure out (I had all the blood tests too, it was in conjunction with insomnia and sinus problems that a doc eventually said was a reaction to the bad air here. Who really knows though. I take flonase and now a vitamin b complex because I'm a vegetarian) I often wonder if all the D means we don't absorb all the nutrients in from the intestine and are therefore tired. Could be stress too.

Well hang in there and let us know what they find. I'm assuming they tested for iron, right? That sapped energy don't want to get off the couch feeling sucks.

Re: I can relate! new
      #320451 - 12/11/07 04:29 PM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Man, can I relate!! I feel tired ALL the time. I am a stay at home house wife and for me, its so hard and tiring to even get up and wash the dishes. I went to the doc who gave me blood tests and ran some other tests but found nothing that could cause me such fatigue. I have IBS and controlled celiacs disease. I also take B12 everyday and try to eat well balanced meals and get exercise, but all I ever want to do is sleep. It is especially hard when my husband wants to get intimate, because when I lay in bed, I get so tired and 9 times out of 10, I fall asleep within the first 5 minutes. No doc can explain my fatigue, some say that Im just depressed, but Im really a happy person. I would def. get a blood pannel to make sure that you are not deficient in all of the proper vitamins and minerals, and I would look into chronic fatigue syndrome, if it does not pass.

#320452 - 12/11/07 04:46 PM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Wow, you have described the last month for me. I am tired all the time now, and I have no idea why. Like you, it is especially hard because I have always been such an active person. Exercise is a huge part of my life -- I'm a long distance runner, plus I play a sport year-round (ultimate frisbee). But now, everyday around 2 or 3 o'clock I totally want to take a nap, like I need one. Which is not only annyoing and frustrating, but is not good because I am a teacher and I need to be on my toes and awake during the entire school day.

I recently asked my doctor to do some blood tests (folic acid, B12, vitamin D, thyroid) and of course they all came back negative. So I am still in the dark. I don't think it really has to do with my IBS because I feel like I would have had this symptom since my IBS began, instead of it just popping up out of nowhere right now. I have been trying a wheat-free diet in the thought that maybe too many carbs are causing the fatigue, and I've also tried cutting down on my sugar. The sugar thing is super hard for me, though, because up until this point I felt like it was my one "victory" over IBS, since I've had to give up so much other good food. And I have a huge sweet tooth, so it's been difficult. Anyway, I wish I could offer both of us more solutions and suggestions. I just wanted you to know you are not alone in how you are feeling. Keep us updated on what your doc says, who knows, maybe something will turn up that will shed light on it for the rest of us Feel better!

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#320463 - 12/11/07 08:52 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I would think it might be SAD if it came on gradually but it sounds like it happened so suddenly that maybe you caught some kind of bug. You could see a rhuematologist who would do blood tests for lots more conditions like lupus, lime disease, etc. I saw one years ago (I think I was 28) when I was so tired and achey that I could barely get out of bed. Turned out that the joint pain was from Parvovirus otherwise known as Fifth's Disease. I am a teacher so I must have gotten it from one of the kids but I didn't get the rash. Do you feel any better when you power nap? I try to do that often if possible b/c mid-day I am usually exhausted and unmotivated, thinking that I have to make it through another 7 hours of kids, chores, etc.. Keep us posted and I hope you feel better.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

thanks all new
      #320534 - 12/12/07 04:30 PM
Little Minnie

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I have been feeling a little better since Monday but I am still lethargic all day and it is different than the feeling of not sleeping well or that sort of thing. It feels much more like the flu. I have walked outside in the sun for 3 days and today I was pretty happy but very tired if I sat down very long. Anyway I don't think I have surpassed this yet and I suspect it might come back! So I am keeping open to suggestions. I am doing a full nutritional analysis soon and I will have the full spectrum light soon and see what happens. I think if my IBS is better my lethargy will be better.

--------------------

Re: thanks all new
      #320537 - 12/12/07 04:46 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Minnie, have you ever tried avoiding corn products? (Yes, I know, what on earth else can you avoid? I sometimes think I should just eat cardboard to play it safe!!) Anyhow, a friend of mine's husband was feeling very tired and lethargic for awhile and they couldn't pinpoint what was going on until they discovered he had a reaction to corn products. Of course he can eat dairy and meat so it is a little less difficult for him to change his diet, but I thought you might want to consider it. Just an idea.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

corn new
      #320544 - 12/12/07 05:09 PM
Little Minnie

I have been eating more corn lately I think. I have corn chex in my desk at work and corn tortillas in the fridge. I suppose this kind of thing can develop when it wasn't there before so who knows?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1278 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4458

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review