All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Artificial Sweeteners
      #320229 - 12/07/07 09:19 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Can any of you tolerate artificial sweeteners? I'm pretty sure I can tolerate Splenda and aspartame (even though I've been avoiding both since I started the IBS diet), but sodium cyclamate not so much. For the record, I gave up aspartame for a period of 5 months once several years ago, and it made no difference whatsoever to my IBS symptoms. Also, interestingly, regular Coke often sent me running to the bathroom, while Diet Coke never did.

So, whether it's a yeast problem or something else, sugar just generally makes me feel icky. I'd like to keep using artificial sweeteners in my baking if at all possible. Thoughts? Experiences?

PS: I'm not interested in all the heresay about artificial sweeteners causing brain tumours and God knows what else, because this is something I've researched intensely. Sodium Cyclamate is the only artificial sweetener that is a known carcinogen, and even then it is only if you ate like 100 packets a day or something. The others have NEVER been proven harmful in any reputable, peer-reviewed study. I'm only interested in your personal experiences with IBS symptoms. Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Artificial Sweeteners new
      #320230 - 12/07/07 09:28 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I'd say that if you know that sugar bothers you and some artificial sweeteners don't then go ahead and use artificial sweeteners. The important thing is doing what works for you and makes you feel good rather than following any particular diet "rules".

/Ulrika

#320231 - 12/07/07 10:00 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Some people on the boards use stevia and have reported that it doesn't cause stomach upset. You can find it at most health food stores and they should have directions on the package for how much to use in place of real sugar.

--------------------
Kat

#320232 - 12/07/07 10:17 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Most artificial sweetners act as a trigger for me. Sweetners made from sugar alcohols such as sorbitol and manitol are known to cause problems for many IBS suffers. You can read about the problems with sweetners, IBS and other GI problems in this peer-reviewed article.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#320233 - 12/07/07 10:18 AM
Syl

Be careful with stevia. I bought some a couple of weeks ago and I did not read the label. I used one packet - had bad IBS symptoms and read the package - it contained more FOS than stevia . FOS is known to cause problems of IBSers.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#320234 - 12/07/07 10:24 AM
K2

Stevia without FOS can be found. Did the one you buy have added FOS?

--------------------
Kat

#320235 - 12/07/07 10:48 AM
Syl

Yep - I bought at Shopper's Drug Mart. It was the Life brand. I was mistaken it didn't contain FOS but a closely related product - inulin Do you know the brand name of stevia that does not contain FOS or inulin? I sure would like to find some.

--------------------

#320238 - 12/07/07 10:59 AM
K2

I've seen this one at my health food store: SteviaLeaf
This site online provides stevia products for canada: stevia
It seems like nothing is added (according to the ingredient list). I haven't tried it yet but if I ever get back into baking I probably will use it.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Stevia new
      #320240 - 12/07/07 11:19 AM
Erilyn

I tried stevia once and my tummy was upset for the rest of the day. Plus, it seemed to leave a weird aftertaste (I had a little in some tea). Maybe it was a brand that contained this FOS or inulin..

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

#320252 - 12/07/07 04:03 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

My mom has IBS; it is different than mine and her triggers are more ostensible. She told me the other day that splenda is terrible for her. Remember it is made with chlorine.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#320258 - 12/07/07 05:08 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I agree with Ulrika. Just eat/use what you know your body can tolerate.
I'm trying to stay away from artificial sweeteners right now but I'm pretty sure that aspartame doesn't bother me. Sugar alcohols, however, give me terrible gas.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#320259 - 12/07/07 05:36 PM
Sweetkakes

Reged: 12/07/07

I agree with most everyone on this subject - eat what works for you. Splenda seems to be ok for me as long as its mixed or baked into a food. In liquid forms, like flavored water or tea, it can be a huge problem sometimes. I think it has to do with how much of the artificial sweetner there is in the drink and whether or not I eat something while drinking it. A soluble fiber food/snack while drinking it seems to do the trick. Mostly I just try to avoid these drinks and go for pure teas and water.

#320333 - 12/10/07 08:54 AM
Erilyn

Yeah, I know all about the chlorine thing. But regular tap water also has chlorine, not to mention your local public swimming pool. You'd ingest far more chlorine in 30 minutes of swimming than you'd get from a whole box of Splenda. At least that's how I look at it.

--------------------

#320335 - 12/10/07 08:56 AM
Erilyn

I agree, Ulrika. I'll give it a few more weeks (I'm not completely stable yet), then I'll start experimenting with aspartame and Splenda again, and see what works.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 782 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3742

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review