All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
You Are What You Eat
      #320126 - 12/05/07 03:37 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have been mentioning this show here a couple times- (it is my favorite show) and want to ask how many here watch it and what you think. It is a reality show that starts with a fat person who eats really bad and is overall very unhealthy. The host is Dr. Gillian McKeith; she is called Dr. Diet. Anyway the obese person agrees to her diet for 8 weeks and they always lose several stone, their skin looks better, their gas goes away and their libido comes back! She says sticky, stinky poo shows you are not eating enough fiber and the poo isn't all coming out. It is always cured by her diet, but of course these people don't have IBS. Her diet is non dairy, non sugar and non gluten. It is heavy in seeds and nuts and omega 3 fish and beans/lentils, with everything else being fruits and veggies. It is amazing how well the people do on the diet. It makes me very much want to try it. Every person they have had on has said they will never go back to eating the way they did. Are there any opinions on this show or diet? Has anyone seen her recipes or a cookbook or something?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: You Are What You Eat new
      #320132 - 12/05/07 04:30 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

That looks interesting I'm going to check it out. I've never heard of it before but the diet sounds like what I've been slowly moving towards. I'm eating more veggies, fruit, nuts, seeds, good meats. I haven't tried to many beans/lentils yet but maybe soon I will. I've been feeling great so I can imagine it works for others as well.

I still keep Heather's guidelines in mind, trying to eat plenty of SF.

--------------------
Kat

#320133 - 12/05/07 05:00 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

this is what i use to eat prior to ibs hitting 2 months ago.......now,i think beans would def set off a "gas" attack......i still eat nuts sparingly......

BTW....
ive been eating celery again in the last few weeks and notice that i am having gas AND some colon movement......do you think its the celery?I also decreased my prozac from a low dose of 7 mg to a low dose of 5 mg....since these drugs are suppose to help ibs, i wonder if that is also causing something......

#320134 - 12/05/07 05:21 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I personally am not too fond of that show. It is a bit over the top I think, plus I really don't like Gillian... I don't really think she looks that healthy either. But I do think there is definitely a point in trying a nondairy nongluten and low sugar diet. (We have to have some indulgence food left right? ) Anyway, there is a cookbook called "You are what you eat" written by her.

/Ulrika

#320138 - 12/05/07 06:15 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Is it on BBC America? I don't think I get that channel :-(. Does anyone know which channel broadcasts in in Maryland? Or is it available online?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#320144 - 12/06/07 12:30 AM
Kitchentrolls

Reged: 12/06/07

Yes I have two of her books. I used to follow her diet before i started on Heathers diet. I think Gillians regime is very good for most people, however not for those who suffer from IBS. But you can surely try to incorporate some of her ideas in the Eating for IBS diet. You just have to be extra careful when it comes to legumes and raw veggies.
She has some really nice recipes for porridge, soup and shakes that is perfectly safe for IBSers.

#320147 - 12/06/07 04:23 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You may find the article A menace to science on 'Dr' Gillian McKeith in the Guardian Newspaper of some interest.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#320149 - 12/06/07 05:59 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Interesting. We have a version of this show in Sweden too (apart from the original show) and the woman leading the Swedish show doesn't have any real medical degree in nutritional science either. And some of the stuff she has claimed to be scientific proof was later according to a Swedish evening paper I think, found to be stuff she had found on the internet and the so called researchers behind the material had apparently never existed at the universities they were claimed to be a part of.

/Ulrika

#320177 - 12/06/07 10:28 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

She's been in around in the UK for about 4 years. I agree with Ulrika though and the article Syl found. She's not a real doctor, her views are far too extreme and i don't think her diet is very well rounded and can potentially leave one underweight and malnourished if followed to the letter. She uses pseudo-science and i don't think her diet is right for everyone, especially those with IBS. Furthermore, she argues that raw food boosts the guts digestive enzymes - scientifically this is incorrect. Essentially, her nutrition advice is based on "nutritional science" that finds its roots in something other than true science. Ok, rant over.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

sounds like new
      #320206 - 12/06/07 03:40 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

nerds have a problem with her. I only care about whether her food recommendations make a person feel better.
Her diet is much like Heather's really. It is healthy to a T and eating that way can do no harm- that is cutting out diary, sugar, wheat and bad fats is only going to do you good. Also bringing a morbidly obese person to a healthy weight without surgery is very commendable. I applaud those who have been able to completely stick with it!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Edited by Little Minnie (12/06/07 03:46 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 405 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12738

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review