All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question about fructose...
      #319829 - 11/30/07 03:48 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I am 99% sure that I have problems with fructose. Fruit juices have always given me major problems, and solid fruit hasn't always been much better. Corn and maple syrups are also usually a sure bet for trouble.

But I've also found that sugary products that don't seem to contain fructose have given me problems as well. Things like chocolate milk syrup - yes I used to drink it in MILK, but I was always able to drink a glass of PLAIN milk without problems (although I don't drink it anymore, since I've started the IBS diet). The ingredients don't mention fructose at all, just "sugar". It's also fat-free. Do manufacturers sometimes encompass everything in the "sugar" label, or could it have been something else? These are the ingredients: SUGAR, WATER, COCOA, COLOUR, SALT, CITRIC ACID, VANILLIN, POTASSIUM SORBATE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE.

I'm trying to narrow down all my triggers here, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about fructose... new
      #319830 - 11/30/07 04:25 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I understand corn syrup and maple syrup would be safe for someone with fructose problems, but honey would not. I don't think 'sugar' is used for any sweetener- at least not now a days. But sugar maybe bothers you. I felt way better when I went off sugar last year. It may alter your PH or yeast type stuff.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Sugar new
      #319843 - 11/30/07 05:57 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hey there,

I don't really have a concrete answer for your question, but as I just had a sort of similar conversation, thought I would share to see if it helps..
I recently went to see a Naturopath after my regular meds seemed to stop helping completely, and we talked a lot about diet. The one thing he said that I need to REALLY need to cut back on is my sugar - and I am sugar junkie!
We talked about how sugar alcohols (sorbitol, manitol, etc) make me REALLY sick, and he mentioned avoiding all fructose, etc. But then he said other sugars as well can be hard on a sensitive GI tract and I should work on cutting down the amount in my diet to see if it helps with my overall health, but especially my IBS.

Anyway, I'd always sort of thought sugar was okay but have been so sick and eat so much of it (as it fruits, juices, simple carbs and then sweets and stuff too) so I guess we'll see how it goes trying to cut down on it!
I dunno if this was helpful, but thought I'd pass it along!

Cheers,

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#319856 - 12/01/07 04:24 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Sugar on food labels means "sucrose". Other sugars such as fructose, glucose, etc have to be named individually. It could be that one of the other ingredients in the chocolate milk syrup such as the citric acid is a problem. I presume you are talking about Nestle's Nesquik because the ingredients you list are the same as on my bottle of Nesquik. I eat it on toast in the evenings and it doesn't give me problems and I am very fructose sensitive. Could it be what you are eating it with?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#320017 - 12/04/07 09:15 AM
adobemoes

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Connecticut

Minnie:
If you follow the IBS diet and also follow a fructose-free diet, what is really left to eat?

#320057 - 12/04/07 04:16 PM
Little Minnie

I don't follow a fructose free diet.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#320082 - 12/05/07 05:53 AM
adobemoes

Sorry- I mean you went off sugar, right? What do you eat as your staples if you don't do sugar? Does this mean you don't do white bread or rice or pasta?

Re: Sugar new
      #320086 - 12/05/07 06:47 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I know sugar is considered safe on the EFI diet, but I noticed when I reviewed the list I got from my dietitian that under the advice to avoid sugar alcohols it said that a large consumption of regular sugar can also cause an upset stomach. So I guess that, again, the key here is the word moderation. And finding out just what that means for you.

/Ulrika

#320124 - 12/05/07 03:25 PM
Little Minnie

I went off sugar for 2 weeks. I tried again and couldn't stay away from it. During the 2 weeks I ate fruits, veggies, oats, nuts, rice and protein. I had a little this and that in the sauces for dinner but a very little bit. I used stevia in my oatmeal. I felt very good! and hope to do it again. I seem to have lost the self control I once had and so it is a challenge to stay away from chocolate, sweets and a bowl of cereal.

--------------------

#320173 - 12/06/07 08:03 AM
adobemoes

The nuts didn't bother you?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 371 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3122

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review