All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Please help me out, I'm new!
      #319782 - 11/29/07 09:33 PM
Viajero98

Reged: 11/29/07

Hello everyone,
I could really use some help if you have a few minutes to give me some advice. I've recently discovered that I have IBS and I really have no idea how to eat. I mean..it sounds simple enough. But I find myself asking questions about when, how much, how much is enough soluble fiber and is it bad to eat the same kind over and over again? I'm in college and I really just have our cafeteria to eat from at this point. I find myself eating bananas and sourdough bread at every meal. I still like the taste but I'm not sure how much longer that can go on. I suppose what I'm asking is, how do you eat with IBS? Are there any rules that you feel like you couldn't live without? I avoid dairy like the plague (I'm sure you would understand what it does to me) and I try to avoid the other foods on the list of "trigger foods" but this is hard to get a handle on!
I had one other question as well. I've heard a lot about the IBS diet being a simple way to lose weight. I know that's not the point of eating this way but I have to admit that if it happens I'm certainly not going to complain. My problem is that I seem to be gaining weight. It's like every day is this incredibly delicate balance between what will make me sick and what will keep me going until I have to eat again. Is weight loss supposed to happen in the beginning? I'm sure you can see I'm still pretty lost in this new way of eating.
If anyone can offer any advice I would really appreciate it. It brings me a lot of comfort to know that there are others in the world who know what I'm talking about and can sympathize. Thank you for reading this and may God bless you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please help me out, I'm new! new
      #319785 - 11/30/07 03:17 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

Your IF and SF depends a lot on if you are more C or more D. When I eat I always have some sort of bread, potato, or rice. Bagels are good as well. With that you can add in more of the veggies but take it slow to see which ones you can handle better. If you have salads, eat the bread first to make things easier on your tummy. Weight loss depends on the person. I lost weight at first, but I did give up soda, wine, and the junk food I was eating. Make sure you are exercising plenty and that will help, too. I know it's tougher with the diet being away at college. There are a few people on here who are in college, do a search and you may get more ideas.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#319801 - 11/30/07 09:18 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Hello,

First do you have a car to get off campus or a friend that can help you. Best to get something to store in fridge or freezer like soy yogurts,fruit and nut bars (lara or nectar bars). These could be staples to eat between classes. I also think you could find a natural peanut butter or almond butter with fresh bread for sandwiches. Personally, I love bananas peanutbutter sandwiches. But, only have it once in a while. Since peanut butter can sometimes bother me. But, just have a small amount because of the fat. You might find PBJ in the cafeteria.

stay away from fried foods and hotdogs... look for pasta, and rice dishes. Can you guys order chinese take out? You can get steamed seafood shrimp or scallops or chicken with mixed veggies and sticky white rice. Just get brown sauce on the side and have just a little. There soups are to fatty so stay away.

Do you have any of the books?

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#319871 - 12/01/07 12:55 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

Welcome to the boards, first off!
I totally understand where you're coming from in terms of not knowing exactly what to eat so just eating the same thing all the time. I think you're right, though, pretty soon you'll get pretty tired of bananas and sourdough so definitely best to try and find some other staples that can get you through most of the day.
With you being at college and relying on the cafeteria, it does make it a little trickier but there are definitely things you can do. I agree with the other reply that mentioned getting some food off campus and keeping it handy. I don't know if you have a fridge at your disposal, but I would stock up on safe things that you can just keep in a cupboard or something. As an example, these are the things that I used to always have on hand when I was rushing between classes and work, etc:
- Rice Cakes
- Pretzels
- Dry Cereal
- Baked potato chips (ie. Baked Lays)
- Motts "Fruitsations" unsweetened applesauce cups
- Flour tortilla wraps
- Nut Butter (look for lower fat and, if possible, organic)
- Canned fruits (peaches and pears)

Those are just a few things, obviously if you do have access to a fridge and maybe a microwave than you can get a lot more creative. If you can invest in some plastic baggies and small tupperwear containers, you can make sure you are carrying around safe snacks with you.
In terms of "how much", I don't think there is one answer for that. I think it is okay for a short while to eat the same thing, but you really want to get to a point where you are incorporating a lot more foods so that you are giving your body the nurishment that it needs. The amount of soluble fiber depends on how much it takes for your tummy to be okay to digest that, as well as some other things that are NOT soluble fiber. As in, if I go out to eat I will have a bread role and then I am okay to eat a small salad. Then with a dinner, I will have some soluble fiber (say rice, for example) but will also have some grilled chicken or fish and vegetables.
You asked "how do you eat with IBS?" and I think that once you do get a handle on it, it's just like eating for anything else. There are certain things you avoid (like you mentioned dairy) and things you know you can have. It does take a while to get used to it, though, and I think the best way to do it is to start out simple (like you are) and then gradually add in other things and see how your body reacts. For me personally, I have access to my kitchen and an organic store across the street so I manage to make really healthy and tasty meals that you wouldn't even know are following any specific "diet".

As for losing weight, I think that is a tricky question because not everyone uses the diet in the same way. If you go from eating a fairly "average" diet of high-fat foods, a lot of red meat and dairy and all that and then you cut out those triggers, you are automatically cutting out a lot of unhealthy fat from your diet which can help you lose weight. The only problem that I seem to notice happens with some people is that they become reliant on eating only soluble fiber foods and so are injesting a LOT of simple carbohydrates, which are higher in sugars. Now, there is nothing wrong with eating carbs and you can definitely lose weight while eating them, but the problem seems to arise when you are eating only carbs, all the time.
You want to make sure that you are using carbs to protect your tummy like a buffer from other foods sort of, but you need to get the protein and vitamins from other foods to have a healthy diet that will allow you to have healthy and sustainable weight loss.
The goal of this diet is not weight loss, though, so there isn't really a way to answer whether or not you are supposed to lose weight when you begin the diet. My guess would be that if you are eating only small amounts of bread and bananas that you might lose some weight, but that your body will think it's starving and you might find some weight fluctuation from that when you do start incorporating other foods and start properly feeding your body.
My advice would be to put the scale away and leave that part alone for now, until you are eating a regular and healthy diet that you can maintain. Cut out trigger foods like high fat and dairy and concentrate on eating foods that will nourish your body and keep your tummy safe. My guess would be that if you do this, and try to incorporate some regular exercise, you will notice your body changing.

Hope this helps, and let us know how you're doing!

Cheers,
Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 165 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1249

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review