All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Problem Digesting Green Veggies
      #319459 - 11/26/07 10:55 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I have a major problem digesting green veggies!!! I was never able to eat them! I just can't digest them no matter how much rice or fiber (Acacia) that I take. It upsets my stomach and doesn't break down and gives me bad d! Dos anyone have this problem as well? If so, what do you do about it? Anyone have any info. about this type of problem? Is it an food allergy or a gi problem that I should follow up on? I hate having ibs! It's interfered with my life too much! It's driving me crazy! Sorry to vent! Sometimes I'm afraid to go to work (because of my d), but I force myself because I need to work . Thanks for all of your help and support!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Problem Digesting Green Veggies new
      #319462 - 11/26/07 11:05 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Have you tried to puree them yet? Sometimes I cook them and purree greens and mix them in White rice. Or you can make a soup. So far I have been good this way. Veggies and me dont get along. I love them BUT they dont love me. So like today I poured butternut squash soup (frooze containers from thanksgiving) over steamed orgainc Jasmine white rice (trader Joe's if you have one near you). These are prepacked containers and you just steam them for 3 minutes. Great for work. And then I use my soups ( veggies and FF chicken broth or some almond milk depends on recipes) OVER the white rice. Just a suggestion..

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#319463 - 11/26/07 11:10 AM
Sweetd

Hi,
No I haven't tried to puree them yet. I should try to. I was always able to eat creamed spinach (the only green that agreed w/ me) but not last night! Thanks so much for your advice! I will definatly those your sugestions.

--------------------

#319466 - 11/26/07 11:46 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I often have problems with digesting green veggies too, and even some herbs. Like basil, for example. If I eat basil, for sure I will see it undigested in my BM the next day – and likely it will be soft and bordering on D. I'm okay with broccoli and cabbage for some reason, and SOMETIMES spinach and romaine lettuce, but not with most others.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#319470 - 11/26/07 12:13 PM
Sweetd

Quote:

I often have problems with digesting green veggies too, and even some herbs. Like basil, for example. If I eat basil, for sure I will see it undigested in my BM the next day – and likely it will be soft and bordering on D. I'm okay with broccoli and cabbage for some reason, and SOMETIMES spinach and romaine lettuce, but not with most others.

Me too! Unfortuantly that's what happens to me as well with herbs, pesto and green veggies. When I go to the br after eating veggies its soft and bordering on D as well, but not quite d either. I was ok with spinach up until last night and romaine lettuce I'm good with as long as I don't eat too much of it. I like to mix it with Iceburg and that seems to work for me. I hope to be able to eat spinach again! I going to start puring the others that I can't eat, so I'll be able to eat them. I need my greens and I've been so bad about eatng them for this reason. So, I'll try the blender next.

--------------------

Creamed spinach!! new
      #319472 - 11/26/07 01:01 PM
auntdebs318

Thats why!! It has dairy. I know I would die if I ate that I used to make a spinach dip with that. And literaly I would live in BR that night. Just not worth it.

Here's also and idea. I also do well with spinach and mushroom. I cook them first with pam in a skillet and then add egg whites. Then you can finish with a soy cheese ect if you like on top? The I put all of that on a english muffin for breakfast sometimes. Mainly the weekend since I have more time.

Its funny that guys say about Basil. I cant do that or garlic, onions. Mainly stay with rosemary or tyme for chicken or turkey and alittle dill on fish. Fun huh?

--------------------

Re: Creamed spinach!! new
      #319481 - 11/26/07 01:22 PM
Sweetd

That's what I was thinking, because of the dairy. I haven't been tested for latose intollerance, but I definatly covinced that I am! You're lactose intollerant right? How do I go about being tested? I just tested myself with what I ate and how it bothered me. When I'm stressed the dairy seems to bother me so much more! I'm hypersensitive to it now, when before (when I wasn't stressed) I could eat a little bit of dairy but now with my new job I've been more stressed then ever. So i think your right, it must be the dairy! I didn't even think of that but it makes sense now! I love mushrooms and I tollerate them very well! That sounds so good! I will try that. Thanks! I can eat garlic and onions but not green veggies or certain fruits like berries and mellons, those are my main problems (and dairy as well). This whole ibs thing is so hard to figure out, but I know I can and will become stable again as soon as I up my dosage of Acacia. That worked for me before. Well, thanks again for your advice!

--------------------

#319503 - 11/26/07 03:53 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

There's been a lot of discussion about dairy and IBS. It seems that a lot of IBSers are lactose intolerant, but also that a lot of IBSers (who aren't lactose intolerant) also have problems digesting any kind of dairy, not just lactose free dairy products. This is why Heather recommends cutting out all dairy products when following the Eating for IBS Diet. Lactaid won't help either. Creamed spinach would kill me!

I also agree with pureeing vegetables and greens!

#319505 - 11/26/07 04:12 PM
auntdebs318

Sweets,

What IBS dose were you on before when stable? I am still increasing acadia. I have been at 1/2 tbs 2x a day for a months now. When I tried to go to 1 tbs I got so bloated and Major C 4 days. So the girls said to try going slower to 3/4 tsp. But i wanting to try to increase maybe I will this weekend. Since so far I dont have any plans.

Motts organic applesauce has been my new friend. I bake and use a small portion on toasted english muffins for snack.

Stay away from dairy... even if your not lactose.. Heather said its an irritant and it is. But I think you can try spinach again just Not Creamy!!

Another quick recipe I made for work this week you might want to try.

2 cups of ff CHICKEN BROTH
2 cups of water
1 cup of half steamed spinach
some asian soba or curly noodles
sea salt (pinch or so to your liking)
2 tsps of no sodium chicken boullion

Bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes till noodles and spinach are done.

I will have that with an 1/2 of and organic turkey sandwich for lunch next 2 days. So easyyyyyy.

--------------------

#319511 - 11/26/07 04:50 PM
Sweetd

Hi Auntdebs,
The dosage that I was on when I was stable was 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon two times a day. To get to that amount, I gradually increased only once a week by 1/2 teaspoon (I found this was the best way for me). It took a few months for me to get up to that dosage. But now, I am adding 1/2 a tsp. every 4 days I'm going to see how that works. Because of my job related stress, I'm trying to up the dosage a little bit quicker so I won't have the occassional d any more . I found that Acacia really worked and I can't wait to get back to my stable dosage (if that amount works again for me). I just started taking it again last Wednesday after a year and a half and I'm up to 1/2 tsp. in the morning and one tsp. at night. I just uped it today by 1/2 tsp. so I think I'll increase again after a 4 days or so if all goes well. Good luck to you! I hope you become stable soon!
Its such a peace of mind when you don't hve to worry about your ibs!
Is it the sweetened applesauce? I have tried the unsweetened and I didn't like it. That dish sounds so yummy! I think I'm going to make that one day this week. Thanks again!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2533 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2181

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review