All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Do you cheat?
      #319451 - 11/26/07 10:44 AM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

I've been very stable lately so I am starting to cheat sometimes. I went to the buffet and I had scrumbled eggs with sausage links. Result: ok.
Last night I had 3 small 3 masketeers and didn't get sick. On the weekend I ate one big smoked fish which was pretty fatty. I ate a raw onion and didn't get sick. I don't know why I am getting better but I am.
My question is: do you cheat and if yes, how often? What can you get away with? Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Do you cheat? new
      #319455 - 11/26/07 10:50 AM

Unregistered

My stomach has been ok lately so I cheated this weekend....couldn't help myself...I ate a cheeseburger and fries from McDonald's Saturday night - my stomach wasn't too forgiving Sunday morning ! If I cheat it's usually a piece of cheese on a sandwich or a couple snack size candy bars and I'm usually ok - as long as I do it with a belly full of SF! By the way, did you ever try the Bertoli dinners?

#319457 - 11/26/07 10:54 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

I kinda cheated last night. My hubby ordered brick oven pizza which I love. But its with fresh tomatoes and not alot of cheese. Bacially, I took the cheese off and most of sauce were it looked oily. But I was fine.. Doesnt mean next time I will eat it..LOL

But seriously, I would be careful because you never know??Things might be okay for now but the next time you might for it worse than you exspected..

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#319468 - 11/26/07 12:04 PM
TATYANA

No, I never tried Birtolli dinners. I should go get some.

--------------------

Bertonni dinners new
      #319473 - 11/26/07 01:03 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Are they safe?

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#319476 - 11/26/07 01:12 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

I "cheat" every long weekend and I especially "cheated" on Thanksgiving and I had pernil (spanish roast pork), lasagna (with ground beef), empanadas (fried beef turnovers) and I had beer!

This just leads me to believe that my issues are definitely anxiety driven though I do have subtle IBS symptons.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

Re: Bertonni dinners new
      #319480 - 11/26/07 01:22 PM

Unregistered

We're still waiting for the verdict....one of us should try them out and see

#319508 - 11/26/07 04:40 PM
TATYANA

You had beer? Wow!

--------------------

#319519 - 11/26/07 06:03 PM
BendeeWendee

Oooh I only had the one Corona. I tell ya, the old lush me was creeping up but alas, I controlled myself.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

cheating new
      #319522 - 11/26/07 06:11 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I think if you are stable, you can handle a cheat now and again, but be VERY careful and keep them few and far between. I got a little to comfortable this summer with barbecues and all and I started getting mini-attacks...definitely food related. From what many veterans have posted, you can become "unstable" a lot more quickly than you became stable. So I would advise looking forward to maybe a particular food or event to splurge a little, but the rest of the time, remember all your hard work to get to the stable place that you are right now. You wouldn't want to undo that.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#319545 - 11/27/07 07:15 AM
horseperson

Reged: 02/08/07

Is it really cheating or are you just discovering you can tolerate old favorites in small, much smaller, amounts? I mean, isn't the "diet" personal and as different as there are people with IBS? I know I can handle things Heather says are triggers (coffee), and things she says are safe give me big problems (oatmeal). So is it really cheating?
BTW-Thursday will be 2 months since I've had an episode. Yea.

#319550 - 11/27/07 07:37 AM
BendeeWendee

I don't know if I would call it cheating which is why I put the word cheating in quotes. The one thing that I know will definitely send me to the bathroom is milk (ice cream, skim, whole, etc.--blood tests show that I'm NOT lactose intolerant) I think atlantic salmon sends me to the loo as well. Other than that, if I eat things that I eat on long weekends or the things I ate on Thanksgiving on a day before knowing that I have to leave the house (which mean weeknights since I work the next day) or if I'm eating foods like that (even safe foods!) and I'm not at home, my mind will start to convince me that maybe I shouldn't have eaten that and so then I start to make my gut go into convulsions. (Thanksgiving was at my sister's house and she lives right around the corner from me). I was actually nervous about going to her house (I've only been there over 100 times) and I don't know why. When the nerves went away, the hunger kicked in and I ate.

That's why I said that my anxiety plays a whole lot in this game. Of course, I've been following the diet's regimen in avoiding certain foods but even safe foods I won't eat while at work because my mind is convinced that it'll make me sick and ultimately it would. If I have to run chores or go to a movie, I make sure not to eat until I know I'm staying put at home. As you can see, I'm very mental!

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

#319554 - 11/27/07 08:31 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I "cheat" on a regular basis by eating pork and venison - both are considered red meat. However, I tolerate them well, so I don't consider it true cheating, hence the quotes. I can also handle dairy as a minor ingredient. Oh, and Domino's pizza and a local place near my folks' works out pretty well for me. I don't know why, but who am I to question pizza?

Every now and then, I really cheat and have a little bit of cheese or a sip of my husband's hot chocolate or something like that.

NOTE: I fairly stable and would recommend cheating like I do unless you are also fairly stable.

PS - I haven't gone near beef in almost 4 years. No way, UH-UH!! The infamous "beef & brocolli incident of 2004" put an end to that. I do not miss it.

#319570 - 11/27/07 10:33 AM

Unregistered

I agree with you that the diet is personal....I've never given up coffee either or pork chops - I gotta give my family some red meat....but I do stay far far away from ground beef!

#319576 - 11/27/07 11:04 AM
LMo

Reged: 11/06/07
Loc: Los Angeles, California

Congrats! I agree with you...plus, oatmeal is one of those wacko triggers for me too.

#319577 - 11/27/07 11:07 AM
LMo

Reged: 11/06/07
Loc: Los Angeles, California

Can I ever relate! For me it's hugely mental too. Sometimes I'll have days where I eat foods I can usually tolerate and if I spend even a minute or two questioning myself or getting worried about having a flair up, it almost inevitably ends up bugging me later.

#319616 - 11/28/07 04:27 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

I think my anxiety definitely plays a role in what i can tolerate too. For example, if i tell myself that i'm not going to drink coffee ever again and then i do i feel so guilty and anxious about it that my IBS flairs up. But if i don't put such pressures on myself and am more laid back about having a little bit of something then i don't get an attack at all. Stupid mind!!! So, my plan for 2008 is to be a little easier on myself and set more realistic food and IBS goals instead of becoming insanely obsessive about every item of food. Anyhoo... Sorry for my rant.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Never new
      #319621 - 11/28/07 06:09 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Yet, I have yet to reap the benefits. Maybe I should be more relaxed and take more chances. I don't know.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Sarah new
      #319622 - 11/28/07 06:16 AM
Jordy

Quote:

So, my plan for 2008 is to be a little easier on myself and set more realistic food and IBS goals instead of becoming insanely obsessive about every item of food.

Do you mean you are going to drink/eat more risky foods...such as coffee, more regularly? When I think "I'm never going to be able to ever drink/eat something again, I just get so depressed. Yet, I think I would be too anxious to even enjoy it.

I opened a can of diet coke, and ended up pouring it all out! Same when I tried to have coffee. It's just so scary that I can't even enjoy it if I tried them.

--------------------

Re: Sarah new
      #319629 - 11/28/07 06:47 AM
BendeeWendee

Jordy, I've done the same thing! I opened up a can of Coke about a week ago and I poured it all out because just as quickly as the thought popped into my head that nothing will happen, the thought that I'd better not came into my head. Now, had it been a long weekend, I would've drank it. See, for me it's never a true test to try out foods that I used to have before when I know I don't have to leave the house because I my mind is relaxed. However, I would never test anything out if I know I have to leave the house because a food item that would probably do me no harm will wreak havoc on my bod because my nutty mind will start to get its anxiety gears going.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

#319635 - 11/28/07 07:13 AM
welshsarah

Hi Jordy,

I'm not going to consume food and drink that i know i can't handle but i'm going to try to remember that just because a food or drink is problematic for one person doesn't mean that it's the same for me. My problem is that i think that because someone can't tolerate it then it means that i can't, but this isn't always the case. I think in some cases we know our own bodies and how they react to things and it's important to go with what our bodies are telling us- this is what i'm not very good at. So, i think i can handle one cup of coffee a day if i don't get anxious and guilty about it as i've been fine with this before. I don't know if i'm making much sense. But i read that with food intolerances (which is what i believe is a main cause of my IBS as well as anxiety) the body can handle a certain amount of a suspected intolerance so it's about figuring out how much your body can handle.

Like you i've been getting so depressed about what i can and can't have that i think it's making everything worse, and is especially making my anxiety worse. I've been also feeling like my whole life revolves around my IBS- so much so that i've forgotten what i enjoy and how to enjoy life. And since i can control the bloating, nausea and pain by not eating wheat and dairy (apart from a glug of milk in my coffee), and minimising sugar then i can put up with occasional constipation that is caused by my enjoying a cup of coffee in the morning (this is my only cheat). When i try to cut out wheat and all the other IBS triggers my will power becomes zero so that i just go overboard and chuck the whole diet restrictions in- which makes my IBS a million times worse than when i enjoy a morning cup of coffee.

Hope i've made sense. Loads will probably totally disagree with what i've written. I'm just going through a depressed phase because of the whole food stuff at the mo and feel that i really can't stick to all of the diet restrictions without getting evenmore depressed and obsessive/anxious.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#319637 - 11/28/07 07:15 AM
welshsarah

Poor you, anxiety and IBS sucks big time doesn't it. I feel like it rules my life!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#319647 - 11/28/07 09:28 AM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

I have not cheated since I started the diet three years, ago.The idea of cheating brings such intense panic, that looking at stuff off the diet freaks me out! Shoot, trying things on the diet that seem to good to be true freaks me out... My first Luna bar almost caused hyperventilation!lol Now I eat them, once every couple weeks. I'd rather never have triggers again then be sick,It's gotten so they freak me out so much I don't really miss them!

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#319716 - 11/29/07 08:03 AM
Jordy

Quote:

I have not cheated since I started the diet three years, ago.The idea of cheating brings such intense panic, that looking at stuff off the diet freaks me out! Shoot, trying things on the diet that seem to good to be true freaks me out

ME too!! I am afraid of fructose, soy, oats (all supposedly okay). I play it ultra safe.

--------------------

#319717 - 11/29/07 08:09 AM
Jordy

Quote:

i'm going to try to remember that just because a food or drink is problematic for one person doesn't mean that it's the same for me. My problem is that i think that because someone can't tolerate it then it means that i can't

I am the same way!

Quote:

. I think in some cases we know our own bodies and how they react to things

I feel totally out of touch with my body. I don't know what it wants or doesn't.
Quote:

i've been getting so depressed about what i can and can't have that i think it's making everything worse, and is especially making my anxiety worse. I've been also feeling like my whole life revolves around my IBS- so much so that i've forgotten what i enjoy and how to enjoy life

Again, totally understand!!!

So, other than eliminating gluten, most dairy and sugar, will you be expanding outside the coffee experiment?

--------------------

#319719 - 11/29/07 08:24 AM
welshsarah

Thanks for your post Jordy. IBS sucks doesn't it.

I'm not planning on experimenting outside of having my beloved coffee. I am going to keep it to 1 a day though- anymore than that and my blood sugar levels go all over the place and then i get panicky! To be honest, i don't think i'll touch the dairy stuff. I'll just have to learn to love soy!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

cheating differences new
      #319820 - 11/30/07 01:08 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Everyone is different but cheating with coffee, soda, red meat, or egg yolks by themselves seem the riskiest. When other things are eaten on a stomach of SF or in small quantities, I feel they are more tolerable. I would definitely be careful with that coffee!! Just my opinion!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1803 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6260

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review