Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Tricky Situation
      #319407 - 11/24/07 11:17 AM
Kat32

Reged: 11/09/05
Loc: Denver, Colorado

Hi all,

Tonight my sister (who is my roommate)and I are hosting a party and I wanted to ask your opinion about something because hosting is often a confusing situation to me. This is why....since I don't drink I don't want to pay for and serve alcohol that I can't drink. However, my sister does drink. This is where it gets confusing....if we are hosting a party where my friends are the drinkers and hers are not, it seems unfair for my sister to provide the alcohol for them. So then you say just don't serve any alcohol. Well, my sister wants to have her beer. So, it doesn't seem right for her to drink a beer in front of my friends, but I also don't think my sister will be willing to not drink. HOW in the world do you handle this situation? The only thing I can think of is to ask our friends to bring their own beverage, but I also know when my friends host parties, they always provide everything. I am so confused about this....if you suggest that my sister not drink, I really don't think that will fly...she is stressed out with school and needs the release, at least that's how she will see it. Any help from you guys would be so great since I'm sure others of you might also experience this. This has been bothering me for a while now so I look forward to advice!

Thanks,

Kathy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tricky Situation new
      #319408 - 11/24/07 11:36 AM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

I think, in order to be a "good" hostess, you should provide your alcohol-imbibing guests with alcohol. Your sister can buy her own beer. Maybe you can buy some that you know they will like (not too much) and let them know they can "BYOB" in case they want something special for themselves. I don't drink, but I am willing to provide drinks for company. It's just one of those things. If your sister was willing to not drink for the night, then it would be easy to have a "dry party" with no alcohol for ANYone, but since you don't think your sister would give up her beer, you've got to provide for your guests. Kinda lame, but I don't know what else you can do! All I know is that your sister shouldn't have to buy booze for your friends, unless all your friends are mutual ones. It wouldn't be fair to your sister.

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

#319409 - 11/24/07 11:46 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Things are never going to be fair when some people drink and others don't and who pays for what. I think that you tell your guests what you will have available to drink and if they prefer something else to BYOB. Since BOTH of you are hosting this party, regardless of who drinks or who doesn't drink the cost should be split down the middle. Just makes things easier in the long run.

#319410 - 11/24/07 11:53 AM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

every party I have ever been too is byob alcholic beveragages, non alcholic beverages provided, it's on every party invitation I've ever received, (I no longer drink and still bring a bottle of wine every time) there is nothing wrong with this, close freinds should have no problem, it's really not a big deal, people do not go to peoples homes and expect a full bar, like it's 1960 and you guys are suzy homemaker, well unless one of you is a bartender try to relax, and go with your gut on this one, have a great party!

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6323 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 856

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review