All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Smoking..
      #319286 - 11/21/07 11:51 AM
SW10

Reged: 10/18/07

I know that in Heathers book it talks about how tobacco is GI irritant.. does anyone else have this problem? Did it help you for the ones who did quit? I am just trying to build up the courage to quit.. it's so hard and I have tried before.. it might be easier now that the non-smoking ban is in affect, because I do work in a bar.. just curious on others experiances..

Edited by SW10 (11/21/07 01:18 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Smoking.. new
      #319292 - 11/21/07 12:28 PM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

Yes, it does help! Now I can't stand the smell of it. It was a tough at first, but just keep telling yourself it's worth it.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#319300 - 11/21/07 01:30 PM
SW10

I have noticed that when I eat and if I smoke sometime after I will have a BM right after.. I am trying to tell myself its well worth it, but as you know its hard.. I have asked my fiance to try and quit with me, but he really doesn't want to.. I think it would be soooo much easier.. even if he just chewed it would still help me..
It was hard to give up caffeine (which I did about a year and a half ago), going out for drinks with the girls here and there(which I sill do every once in a blue moon), and now smoking.. UGH..

#319309 - 11/21/07 03:29 PM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

That's hard when they don't quit with you. My DH is still smoking. Keep asking him to quit but....

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#319316 - 11/21/07 04:44 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

I'm IBS-D and quitting made a huge difference. I remember having really bad smelly gas for four or five days after quitting, but don't worry, that will go away.
It will be a year in Jan since I quit, and it's not only one of the best things I've done to improve my IBS, it's one of the best things I've done to improve my overall health. I smoked for about 27 years, quitting twice for several years during that time. I didn't have IBS at the time. The horrible effect smoking had on my IBS is a huge incentive for me never to start again. Yes, it's hard, but it's so worth it. And wanting a cigarette seldom crosses my mind anymore.
Best of luck to you. You can do it!

#319317 - 11/21/07 05:12 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

I found a signifigant difference since I quit over a year ago my tummy has really stabalized although its still hard, and every day I have to remind myself I don't smoke anymore, I just say to myself if I do this i'll be sick, it made quitting worth it, good luck, and give it a try, I smoked for ten years, and it took me three tries to quit for real, but my tummy is thankful

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#319318 - 11/21/07 05:14 PM
SW10

Thank you!
I too have ibs-d.. so just hearing that it helped you makes me wanna try harder!! I know that it will be for the better, but it's just really convincing yourself that..

#319319 - 11/21/07 05:17 PM
SW10

I think my tummy would feel the same way if I quit. I will give it a try.

#319320 - 11/21/07 05:19 PM
SW10

Yeah, it makes it 20x's harder! I just need to get myself in the right state of mind and tell myself it's for the best!

#319321 - 11/21/07 05:21 PM
SW10

Did you use anything to try and get your brain off smoking? Perhaps mints or suckers, or something like that?

#319537 - 11/26/07 10:09 PM
gigi1234

Reged: 06/10/06

I am IBS-C mostly and I smoked lightly for many years. I used it as a way to time bowel movements. I would smoke before leaving the house so that everything would move through while I was close to the loo. I finally just quit cold turkey because my lungs wanted me to quit. But in some ways quitting made controlling my symptoms more difficult. Still, I am glad I quit!

#319544 - 11/27/07 06:59 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

You can do it! Aside from the health benefits of not smoking, think of the money you'll save and can use for the better! I quit smoking back in '92 (I quit cold turkey when a guy I was about to kiss scoffed and said I smelled like a chimney--I was 17, what'd you expect?!) and what I found the hardest was not the actual smoking, but the habit of smoking i.e. after drinks, after eating, after a fight, after sex, etc... It's the habit of smoking that's the challenge, at least IMO.

So having said that, go for it! It'll be for the better.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1725 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2701

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review