All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Nausea
      #319124 - 11/19/07 05:13 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

Does anyone else experience on and off waves of nausea throughout the day? Is this IBS or anxiety? Sometimes I cant even look at food but force myself to eat.......

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Nausea new
      #319126 - 11/19/07 06:09 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Yes, yes, OMG Yes. I think it's a mix of IBS and anxiety that starts with anxiety or maybe with the IBS. Confused? I wake up in the mornings with a knot in my stomach cause I know I have to get on the subway to get to work and I stress over that coupled with the stress of wondering how I'm going to make it through the day and then to have to get back on the train and wonder if I'll make it home. All of that stress from as soon as I get up in the morning starts to nauseate me and because I get motion sick, the last thing I want to do is to get into a moving vehicle, train, bus, etc. but I have to cause I have to go to work. Then I don't eat my oatmeal right away cause I have to wait for the nausea to go away and then just when I think I'm fine, there comes another wave say about 3 hours later and so I have to wait for that to pass to eat my measly slices of french bread with soy butter. Yes, that's all I have for lunch because anything else, even if safe, will make me get sick. Or should I say I will make myself sick. By the time I get home I'm starving but still eat like a rabbit 'cause I know I'll have to go through it all over again the next day.

I just rambled didn't I? Anyway, I always have Ginger Chews on hand to curb the nausea but if the nausea is anxiety driven, even the ginger chews don't help and so I mentally have to fight it off and when I go into that zone, I don't answer my phones, converse with anyone, hell, I don't even check my email solely because I need to use every last bit of energy to fight.

Ok, rambling is over.

P.S. Somehow I still manage to smile through the malaise and crampy pains and you know what? Frankly, I'm tired of doing this everyday!

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#319129 - 11/19/07 06:14 PM
Mhillqt

Bene....you sound like you are also suffering so much ....have you ever tried taking an antianxiety med like klonopin or an ssri like prozac or lexapro? I think you might benefit if you are not med sensitive.......im over all this as well...it sucks

#319131 - 11/19/07 06:17 PM

Unregistered

BendeeW, if I may intrude, I have to say you are a true trooper. I'd never be able to (not yet anyway) take a train, cab or carpool to work every day, heck, I try to avoid giving people rides home or to work. I panic just thinking I'll get gassy, or need to jump out at a gas station to use the bathroom! Truely, I take my hat off to you! And who could blame you for being sick and tired of doing this everyday! I hope soon you can report that this chapter of your life is over and IBS is a thing of the past for you!

#319138 - 11/19/07 06:41 PM
BendeeWendee

I've not gone the drug route because I never needed the drugs before IBS and so I feel that I can go back to that. I do have to start seeing a therapist because from what one therapist told me, all the negative thinking is a bad habit that needs to be broken. As a child I would always get motion sick so as soon as I was told that we were going somewhere, I would start feeling antsy cause I knew I was going to get sick and I was not going to enjoy where I was because I knew I was going to get sick on the way back. That "little" thought of "what if you get sick" has always been there but since the IBS, it's become more pronounced and I can't seem to shake it off like I used to. The one time therapist that I went to recommended that I go to the American Institute of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and I know that I do have to call them, but the reason that I have to go to them is the very same reason that I haven't called them. To make an appointment with them would mean that I'm going even further away from home and that freaks me out because "what if I get sick?"

I so will beat this thing. Maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow but I will beat it.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

#319139 - 11/19/07 06:48 PM
BendeeWendee

That's what my coworkers say, "you're a trooper". I always smile and joke around and act like the old me, even though the old me has been hibernating for over a year now. I have no choice but to get on the subway to get to work BUT fortunately for me, I don't get D like other IBSers on here do. Everything that starts to happen to me starts from my subconscious screwing around with me--without me thinking about it--and so my body starts to get queasy or what have you and then the thought comes forward to my conscious and then I have to start fighting the good fight.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

#319165 - 11/20/07 05:54 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Wendee,

You are so brave for getting up everyday and going to work. I hear myself in you. But sweety YOU have to comes to terms with the anxiety and panic disorder. I used to wake up all anxious since I hated my boss at my last job. He used to call me a stupid woman and other nasty things. So basically I would get so worked up that I would be sweating so much sometimes I had to change my top before I left. then the drive on the highway. I hate 95 which is so busy people rushing in and out of lanes. So by the time I got there i was exhausted and then had to work 8 hours. Some how I would manage. But my point here is you need to get to a doctor to deal with this all and get some meds. If its ativan, or zanax to take at night to calm you down. Or SSRI zoloft,lexapro,effexor. Trust me I went through and now I take Zoloft and 1/2 of ativan when I get so worked up that I cant sleep. Plus find a therapist that is local. Mine is 5 minutes away. This way it will easier for them to help you. And when you start to feel stronger the commute wont even bother you anymore. And now that I left that jerfoff boss..LOL I work 10 min from my house and I love the environment so I not as stressed at much. sENDING YOU HUGSS

MAKE 2008 YOUR YEAR TO ADDRESS YOUR HEALTH!! its all about you girl! when i am working on me I hear the rocky song.."getting strong now" when he runs up the art museum steps"

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#319174 - 11/20/07 06:59 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

Have you had all the tests done to check for reflux, gallbladder, etc? I had nausea that was caused by my reflux and gallbladder. Usually the IBS affects the lower area. Between diet change (lowfat) and taking Protonix the nausea went away.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#319186 - 11/20/07 08:38 AM
tovabela

Reged: 11/07/07
Loc: NYC

Bendee Wendee, a fellow New Yorker here too! I have found that if I listen to music or read while I am in transit, it tends to get my mind off of worrying and reducing the stress. Once it happens a few times and you get to your destination without any "episodes" as I like to call them, the travel part gets easier. Although I have never gotten car sick so I certainly can't compare my episodes to yours. While I always try to stay away from meds, I found that hyoscyamine worked well, ginger sucking candies and yes, even therapy have all played a part in my "recovery". I always like to say I am a work in progress, as nothing ever gets to 100%, but only you can make the effort to decide how to get over your anxieties. I hope this forum, in what ever way, gives you the strength you need. For me, just knowing there are soooo many people out there who have gone through what I have been going through for so many years, gives me the validity that I am not crazy, I really do have something that affects my health and am finding many ways to handle it.

#319188 - 11/20/07 08:54 AM
Mhillqt

Maybe its NYC>..I live in manhattan also.....

Aunt - did you find that the AD you were given alleviated your IBS? Did you also have panic disorder? Lastly, once the AD works, do you have to stay on a careful IBS diet if the IBS is under control with the AD? Thanks

#319190 - 11/20/07 09:13 AM
BendeeWendee

Auntdebs, I'm going to heed your call and bite the bullet and make that phone call. I do recognize that I need help and trying to shake this off by myself is not enough. Oy! I guess if meds is the way to go, then that's the way to go. I'm going to have to dig around and see if there's someone in my neck of the woods that I can go to. Most of my docs are in the city and I chose that because I work in the city. Little did I know that years later that was going to be trouble for me. Geez...

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

#319191 - 11/20/07 09:15 AM
auntdebs318

Yes,I have panic disorder. But havent had a panic attack in several of years. When I was 25 alot of family issues came to a head. I started with IBS-C so when I read posts on here I can totally relate and feel for those whom have that struggle. Eventually, after the years passed and it was taking over my life, job, driving. So I took Paxil which helped. Then I gained some much weight and went off of it. But with my last job 4 years ago it caught up with me again. But the IBS turned into IBS-C with still some D. So my doc put me on Effexor and that helped control the anxiety. HOWEVER, I still suffer from IBS_C major cramping, gas belching. But now that I am 36 married out of that nasty job my mind is better or shall I say coping skills. I still see a therapist once a month to keep in check. She gave me cognitive therapy tapes that help chill me out and learn how to breath and get through it.

As far as the IBS I still struggle through but heather diet and Acadia have helped me the most. Go figure after the millions of test and GI, endocronlogist, internist, ect..OY!!LOL So I have heather to be thankful for this thanksgiving.If I didnt find this site and read her books I would still been bent over cramping and crying.

So I know its here to stay but its ALL ABOUT HOW I WANT TO COPE AND TAKE CONTROL OF IT NOW. tHATS WHY THEY SAY MIND OF MATTER. AND THATS WHY AD I THINK GIVE YTOU MORE STRENGTH.

I hope this helps..

Deb

--------------------

#319192 - 11/20/07 09:20 AM
BendeeWendee

Hiya tovabela! I was born all wrong to begin with! I've always had motion sickness and I always worried about getting sick when I was going to go somewhere. As a kid, I would get sick, then I couldn't enjoy where I was cause I knew I was going to get sick on the way back. Dreadful it was. I could never enjoy swings and school trips because of it. As an adult, I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease (that explains a lot of the motion sickness). Even as an adult, I can never get excited about going on vacation like others do only because I know I have a mental fight up ahead. I used to be able to just shake it off but now I can't and it's making me make my world smaller and smaller and therefore limiting myself to what I used to be able to do. I have the ginger chews that work when I'm truly feeling motion sickness but when the nausea is anxiety driven, they don't work. Go figure.

I need to find a therapist in the Park Slope area of Brooklyn. I went to one in Brooklyn Heights and she didn't know of any so she recommended the American Institute of CBT. The good thing about CBT, she said, is that there are many ways to fix the negative thinking.

Like AuntDeb said, I'm going to start the new year on the right track to a more sane me.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

Re: I am so proud of you new
      #319193 - 11/20/07 09:29 AM
auntdebs318

Wendee,

You go Girl!! Put on those boxing gloves and fight,fight, fight!! Just remember I am here holding your hand. Your not alone. Plus, I live in Philly so literally I am not that far..LOL The first step is admitting you have something on. Trust me, I didnt like it at first either but glad I was able to get the strength. So now the next step is checking with your insurance co if you have one to find a local therapist. My hubby has great insurance (works for Verizon) and my visits are covered. We had to faxver a claim form and I get 80% back. But back at my worst time I didnt have Insurance. Just ask the doctor if you can see him.her on a scale or payment plan. They might now put you on meds at first maybe you can work through with out. But, I do agree you must get and IPOD or CD player for train ride. I think that will help distract you. You are young, beautiful and have alot to offer. Now go out there and get it!!hugs

--------------------

Re: Ginger chews new
      #319197 - 11/20/07 09:36 AM
auntdebs318

Where do you get Ginger chews?

Oh and Wendee I forgot to mention Nauseas is caused from anxiety..

--------------------

#319200 - 11/20/07 10:10 AM
Mhillqt

bene - did you send an email to that doctor at payne whitney....ny presbyterian hospital...if you have panic disorder...you get screened and get 3 months(2x weekly) free cognitive behavioral therapy

aunt - im surprised you still have ibs symptpms with the AD....i thought many on the ADs get their ibs under control once their anxiety/panic are under control././...ive had panic for 20 years..on and off but just got ibs 5 weeks ago....it truly sucks....

Edited by Mhillqt (11/20/07 10:14 AM)

Re: Ginger chews new
      #319202 - 11/20/07 11:40 AM
BendeeWendee

Auntdeb - Ginger Chews And thanks for the virtual hugs! Right back atcha!

Mhillqt - I didn't send them an email because--are you ready for this--they're too far away. I'm embarassed to even have typed that. I will call the CBT folks. I promise.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

#319271 - 11/21/07 08:33 AM
tovabela

Reged: 11/07/07
Loc: NYC

Bendee,
http://www.nynaturalhealth.com/
I found this doctor/website after it was noted on this website after purchasing some products. I haven't been there, haven't heard about it, but it may be something you would want to check out. I already have a therapist and acupuncturist who've been treating me which is why I haven't researched the center further. But I figured if Heather recommended it, it should be helpful!

#319276 - 11/21/07 09:12 AM
BendeeWendee

Thanks tovabela, I'll give it a looksee.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8114 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4147

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review