All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What are your triggers?
      #319113 - 11/19/07 03:33 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

What are your triggers (known or even just suspected)?

For me my number one trigger by far is stress and anxiety. Even the worry of having an attack can trigger one for me. But I also know that there are a few foods that bother me, too. For me, I'd say it's 70% stress/anxiety, and 30% food. For the foods, I know that coffee can be a big potential trigger (especially Starbucks, for some reason, to the point that I just avoid it like the plague); high-fructose foods like fruit juice, corn syrup, and any particularly sweet/syrupy desserts; some high-insoluble fiber foods (particularly whole grains); and sometimes, though not always, high fat foods – I can almost always eat a fast food burger and not have an attack, but breakfast hash-browns fried in oil almost always give me trouble.

For the record, I am predominantly IBS-D.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What are your triggers? new
      #319114 - 11/19/07 03:36 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

My triggers:
dairy
spicy
fatty/fried
artificial flavorings
alcohol
caffeine
carb.beverages

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#319116 - 11/19/07 04:14 PM
NancyK

Reged: 11/19/07

Hello
I am new to the Board and have found some interesting information here. I am wondering if anyone has had similar experiences to mine. I have thought that food was the trigger to my IBS, but after a careful 4 month journal, I have relaized that I experience IBS symptoms every 26 to 30 days. I am very lucky that I am fine at other times of the month and can eat a normal diet. Could this be hormonal? or is it just coincidence? When I have an episode, I cannot digest anything.. I stick to broth and water and still have a stomach ache.
Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.
Thanks

#319128 - 11/19/07 06:14 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

My triggers are dairy, HFCS, deep fried foods, any green veggie or gas causing veggie and nervousness.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

#319133 - 11/19/07 06:27 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

My triggers are definitely anxiety driven. My anxiety will make me have frequent loosey goosey to solid BMs, even if I eat anything safe. The anxiety comes from knowing that I have to leave my safe zone a.k.a. my house. Of knowing that I'll be "stuck" somewhere (meeting, appointments, etc.) If I don't have to go to work, I can eat almost anything and not get sick. I would have to say that anything super oily or high in fat will make me have D as well as milk which all started to happen after my horrific colonoscopy. I'm IBS C (poop every other day) when I don't have to leave the house, but as soon as I know I have to leave the house (go to work, store, etc.), I'll become an everyday 2-3 times a day solid stool to loosey goosey pooper.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#319141 - 11/19/07 06:48 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

mine are
stress
fatty food
red meat
dairy
pork
broccoli is the enemy
tomatoe (have really bad luck)
soy

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

Re:For Bendeewendee new
      #319163 - 11/20/07 05:25 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Have you looked into taking an AD? Your anxiety sounds alot like mine. But now that I am on zoloft I have been feeling alot better. Not as scared to leave home ect.. Plus it will help the IBS and all the nervousness.

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#319164 - 11/20/07 05:34 AM
auntdebs318

spicy foods
Garlic
fried or fatty foods
even fatty soups (beaware of chicken noodle soup at Panera bread) I had that recently in a sourdough bowl. Within an hour I had D. And I am IBS-C but D with any fatty foods. I stick to my own broth or FF health valley brand.
HFCS- no maple syrup or corn syrup
whole grains or high gluten wheat flour
SALAD (which is miss)
a lot of fruit (melons,grapefruit,oranges,stawberries)
brocolli, cabbage,cauliflower
dairy
Soy

Last but not least Anxiety!! stress and when stress affects my sleep pattern.

--------------------

#319168 - 11/20/07 06:06 AM

Unregistered

Stress, fatty deep fries foods, Coke

Can I ask you what AD you are taking? new
      #319169 - 11/20/07 06:27 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

My GI doc prescribed one which I never took. I forget the name now but it's a newer one and popular. My IBS is fueled mostly by stress but I have to avoid fat mostly and dairy.

Sandy
IBS-D

Re: Can I ask you what AD you are taking? new
      #319171 - 11/20/07 06:37 AM
auntdebs318

I take Zoloft now since it helps for anxiety but is safe to take while preggo. My hubby plan on trying to conceive in January. But I was on Effexor before and it really worked great to control anxiety plus it gave me some energy. But not enough info on that while preggo. So far I have been on zoloft for 6 months and I am fine. I am considering trying Lexapro after we have a baby. I have heard great things about it IBS and anxiety. It has helped being on a AD.I used to get myself all worked up and have IBS-C and now I have IBS-C. Well mainly C. But I can sleep now and not as anxious.

--------------------

#319173 - 11/20/07 06:54 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

Oh yeah, hormones definately play a part. That time of the month was always the worst, compounded with severe cramps, heavy bleeding, and mood swings. I use BC continueously now to stop the periods and that has helped. Haven't tried adding foods back in to see what may trigger. When using a food journal it was so random if something would bother me. I know for sure that broccoli, cucumbers, and salad will make be bloated and gassy. Stress was always a trigger for me as well.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

Lexapro...that was it...I had heard that i can cause D at first (m) new
      #319177 - 11/20/07 07:04 AM
Sandyg

and that scared me off of it although I know some say it's only temporary. But if you're C than it probably won't have that affect anyway. Not sure.

How many children do you have? I have two sons, 9 and 6 and would love to add a daughter to the mix but I'm getting on in years!!!!
Sandy

Re: Lexapro...that was it...I had heard that i can cause D at first (m) new
      #319179 - 11/20/07 07:12 AM
auntdebs318

I dont know about the D with it??

This would be our first !! We tried for 6 months last year but the doc said I would stress to much and then the IBS attacks also made me lacking the mood. And now that I working to get this under control and I have lost 35 lbs ( i got weighed at the doc last night). Hopefully it will happen now Hello, my clocks have been ringing I am 36 turning 37 in March. So hopefully I will be preggo for my b-day.

You are blessed to have 2 boys!! you should consider the lexapro I know 2 friends (1 has IBS) that it has really helped them.

--------------------

Re:For Bendeewendee new
      #319180 - 11/20/07 07:22 AM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

I haven't looked into taking an AD and the thought of taking anything bothers me cause I feel that if I was fine before, why now? What I need to do is get on the wire and call the therapist. You know, for a girl with tattoos, I sure can be a wimp! LOL

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

Just to encourage you... new
      #319184 - 11/20/07 08:20 AM
Sandyg

I had my first in my late 30's so don't worry too much about the age factor. You'll be fine. Yes my boys are a blessing. My mom passed away 4 years ago and since then I have wanted a daughter. But I was very happy my boys were boys! They are best friends which is great.

I hope you are holding a little blessing soon! Make sure you update us here!

I may try Lexapro now I've heard it helps so many.
Sandy

Re: Just to encourage you... new
      #319189 - 11/20/07 09:01 AM
auntdebs318

Thanks Sandy for your warm thoughts. It is so nice to have people finally understand what you go through. Trust me , when we finally conceive I wont be keeping it a secret. Were both too excited about the whole thing.

As far as you go, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your mom. But maybe I can see how a baby girl would fill that void. Perhaps you might want to talk to hubby about making your own 2008.

--------------------

Search lexapro... new
      #319206 - 11/20/07 12:10 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Hi. I'm not being lazy, I just have posted so much about Lexapro myself when inquiring about going on it and you would get the most info. by doing a search. You'll be able to hear my questions and the answers that everyone gave me too. Good luck.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#319217 - 11/20/07 01:47 PM
maestro

Reged: 01/14/05
Loc: Missouri

My triggers are:

dairy
red meat
beans (sometimes I can with beano but other times it's a disaster)
Gassy type foods: broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage
fried foods

Thanks that was very helpful! new
      #319223 - 11/20/07 02:44 PM
Sandyg

Don't know if I'm ready yet for AD's but it seems that many folks have had success.

Sandy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 695 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4432

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review