All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Potassium in bananas causes C?
      #318763 - 11/15/07 02:56 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I went to my GI doc this week and he said to quit eating bananas. When I said that I thought they were good for C because of their fiber content he answered that they cause C because of their potassium levels. Anyone has heard about potassium causing C? I searched on the internet and it actually seems that potassium is good and helps preventing C. I'm confused

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Potassium in bananas causes C? new
      #318810 - 11/16/07 05:22 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

This does seem strange. The Linus Pauling Institute says that a deficiency not an excess of potassium will cause "fatigue, muscle weakness and cramps, and intestinal paralysis, which may lead to bloating, constipation, and abdominal pain." In addition any number of reliable sources says that the fiber in banana is good for reducing constipation

Ask you GI doc for a reference next time you see him

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#318814 - 11/16/07 05:42 AM
Zara

Thank you. That pretty much confirms what I found out. To be honest, I don't give this doc much credit. I went to him twice, felt very rushed through the appointments and he never even examined me/touched my stomach to feel it (I did show him my previous tests results though). The first time he prescribed Sorbitol for C and when I asked if it was the artificial sweetener that can cause D in healthy people and a lot of distress, including bloating (my main complaint to him) in IBSers, he was like, "nah, never heard of that". I mean, c'mon, all of us here know about that and this guy went to a med school?
So, two appts with him and two red flags already. I don't think I'll be back.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#318815 - 11/16/07 06:24 AM
pixiegoddess

Reged: 01/18/07

I know that bananas are given to people to help bind stools if they are having problems with diarrhea as well as applesauce and oatmeal. We do this in the hospital that I work at - I'm a dietetic technician. I am predominantly C though and enjoy all of them without a problem. Hope this helps!

#318818 - 11/16/07 06:44 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I find when my digestion is weak bananas block me up a bit and give me gas.

A lot of doctors I've had experience with aren't geared to thinking the way we on these boards think - although I'm sure there are some out there that are a bit more open minded, just not where I come from!!

I have no idea if it's the potassium in the nanas that causes the C, but something does in me, I try and listen to my body with new / different foods - although that's not an easy thing to do when you're out of practice!!

#318829 - 11/16/07 09:11 AM
Zara

Thanks for your replies. I do believe that bananas can cause C and gas in some people, I'm not questioning that. I was just surprised that he said it was because of potassium and then both Syl and I found information saying that C can be caused by lack of potassium but not excess.

Yeah, finding the right doctor who is willing to work with one's diet is hard

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 476 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3027

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review