All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help w/ food to eat- gassy - who else????
      #318727 - 11/15/07 10:10 AM
pieta8

Reged: 05/10/06

yES, I agree- everthing i eat causes gas- I have cut out so much variety in my life- and I am very very thin- I don't eat dairy, wheat, soy, sugar, garlic, onions- stay away from desserts( sugar- and fake sugar products give me lots of gas)- I only eat fruit 1 time a day( I love fruit- and it is a hardship believe me- my brother is a DR. and says what is the difference- even cutting all that out you get gas- might as well hae that stuff- don't know anymore- have had colonoscopies(5 of them- all fine- so I have IBS- taht is where they put you when you can't find anything I guess)- I take acidophillus, probiotics- oh well. I wish there was a magic bullet.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help w/ food to eat- gassy - who else???? new
      #318946 - 11/17/07 03:27 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

I discovered that non-rice based breakfast cereals were causing the worst of my gas. I cut those and my gas improved dramatically. From the sounds of it, you aren't eating anything like that, though.

How long have you been taking the probiotics? Personally, I can't take probiotics because they make me gassy. Just a thought.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#318953 - 11/17/07 04:47 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

If you don't mind, can I ask you what your "gas" goals are? Are you trying to have NO gas -- because, you know, that's just not possible. Or are you just trying to reduce the amount of gas you pass? Are you having pain with it? Cramping?

Instead of cutting out foods, have you tried using digestive enzymes (such as Beano) or drinking teas that help with digestion (chamomile, ginger, fennel, etc)? Have you tried prescription medications, like anti-spasmodics, that reduce spasms? Have you tried to change HOW you eat (small meals, chewed slowly, no gum, no gulping, no straws, etc)?

In the beginning, I had a lot of gas (for me) but that seemed to clear up after a couple of months on the diet and taking medication. It's also normal to experience a lot of gas when introducing something new to your diet, but it should go away after a couple of weeks.

#322223 - 01/12/08 09:24 AM
Viajero98

Reged: 11/29/07

I just read your post and what other people have said in response. I have the same problem, although admittedly not to the same extent. Have you found any solutions or noticed any big trigger foods? I'm working on solving this one as well and it would be nice to know what you've learned. Eating can be so much trouble!

#322242 - 01/13/08 08:46 AM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

Are you taking any fiber supplements? I had horrible gas (almost constant all day long) with pain and bloating, I stopped eating bananas and quit taking the acacia fiber and it is sooo much better!! I also drink the fennel tea all day long. If I happen to eat something that does cause more than normal gas, I take gastrizyme by naturarx and that typically gets rid of it immediately. I found this product at our local co-op but you can also order it online at: http://www.naturarx.com/acidreflux-gastrizyme.html

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1815 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 994

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review