Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
endometriosis
      #318660 - 11/14/07 05:34 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi friends.
So I have been really struggling with female issues for a few months. TO make a very long sob story short, I usually took 2-3 packs of BC pills back to back to skip some periods. My doc told me to do this and it worked pretty well for a few years. However, in the middle of Sept, I got my period and it was horrible. After 12 days I went to the doc (mainly b'c I was getting married a few days later) and he said to take 2 BC pills day to stop the bleeding. This worked for a bit, but then the period came back. bigtime. lots of cramping. My doc put me on progesterone. This stopped it again for 5 days. Came back again... So I have had a period on and off (no more than 2 days off) since then. O
n Monday I got my period for real and the pain has been unbearable. I tried 4 advil, didn't work. Tried my pain killers I have on hand for IBS just in case...and it worked a bit. I don't mean to be too graphic, but its VERY heavy with lots of clotting and the cramping is pretty severe. My doc has always said to wait this out and give it a few cycles to regulate after that bit of progesterone.
Anyway, I'm miserable and wondering about endometriosis. Could I have this? I have read about have endo on the bowel and since I have IBS already and a terribly sensitive belly, maybe this could be why?
If anyone has any experience with endo, could you tell me your experiences? I'd appreciate it. I did have an internal ultrasound a few years ago and it showed nothing. So I was unsure if the only option now would be a laprascopic thing? I have my gallbladder out a few years ago and I am familiar with the laproscopy...
Anyway, any suggestions would be great!

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: endometriosis new
      #318663 - 11/14/07 06:17 PM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

Honestly, I think you need to look at a new doc. That much bleeding is not normal and it could be endo or something else. You're best bet is the laproscopy. Hope you feel better soon. I am all too familar with the painful periods. They never figured out whyand now I use NuvaRing until I can convince my doc to do a partial hysterectomy.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#318665 - 11/14/07 06:21 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

hi, I have endometriosis and irritible bowl, it has taken me a really long time to manage both, 7 laproscopic surgeries, and pretty much only doing soluble fiber during my period because of the insane horrrible cramping. I have had extremely heavy periods in the past lasting up to 14 days, and the clotting. (for the record my doctor swears by aleeve, and I have had some success with it.) I would definitly ask my doctor if endo is a possibility, the experiences you are describing sound simmalar. for me it hit young, 12! and has got better in the last couple of years, I'm now 30, the right birth controle pills can help, but it's trial and error and some were really hard on my Ibs
talk to your doctor, try aleeve, heat therapy. hope your better soon.

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

Re: endometriosis - 22 with endo and IBS new
      #318674 - 11/14/07 07:01 PM
bdcanfield

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: Carlisle, Pa USA

Oh sweety, I feel for you. I am a 22 year old Grad student, diagnosised with IBS almost 3 years ago and just last winter I was diag, with endo. They discovered in the laproscope that I have endo "everywhere and the worst case" my doc has ever seen, so i know how you feel. She immediately put me on Lupron hormone injections for 6 months and now I am on Seasonique (the BC where you only get 4 periods a year) it has helped emensely! I wish the best of luck to you.

--------------------
Smile and the world smiles back

#318682 - 11/14/07 08:18 PM
SW10

Reged: 10/18/07

Hello
I was diagnosed with endo and IBS-D a few years back.. I went through with the laparoscopy, which permits the physician to see inside the pelvic region to observe endometrial growths. I ended up having to have the sugery done to remove the tissue that was growing on the outside of my uterus instead of on the inside. Before I had this done my periods were horrible. It helped for a while then the pain came back.. I was going to start the Depo Lupron shot, but ended up getting pregnant before I started.. my Dr. always told me, "the best way to get rid of the endometriosis was to have a child"(sad, but it was true). So anyway my periods are much better now, but I would def look at getting yourself looked at and going through with the laparoscopy.

#318693 - 11/15/07 05:07 AM
Aly

thanks everyone... I'm going to call my doc today and ask for an earlier appointment. I want to get in with him soon so I don't have to deal with another period like this. it's day 4 and I'm still miserable....
Thanks so much for telling me your experiences... is IBS and endo related? seems like a lot of you have it...just curious

--------------------
IBS-A

#318709 - 11/15/07 07:55 AM
bdcanfield

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: Carlisle, Pa USA

Yes, my doctor told me that the Endo was causing the IBS. Endo also caused a couple other disorders I can not remember right now. But take care, it will be alright. At least you have a support system (your husband:)) -- I am dating which is rather tough with all of my conditions.

--------------------
Smile and the world smiles back

#318715 - 11/15/07 09:14 AM
Aly

Thanks a lot. IBS certainly seems agitated with these cramps.
I just called my doc to see what to do. The cramps are really bad and NOTHING has helped. I even took a real pain pill this morning and still cramping. I went to work to teach my morning classes but then came home to rest. I hope my doc calls in something for me, b/c I just feel miserable.
Having a support system really has helped. My husband is SO good about it...he went out yesterday to buy me tampons and came home with chocolate as well. So he knows how to help!!:)
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll update after the doc calls me back!

--------------------
IBS-A

#318721 - 11/15/07 09:42 AM
Laura Renee

Reged: 05/17/07

I was diagnosed with Endo and IBS about 10 years ago. The Endo was horrible, but I agree with taking Aleve. It saved me numerous times. I had to take 2, and I had to take them as soon as I felt even a twinge of cramping. If I waited until it was really bad, it was too late. My doctor put me on the Lupron shots, which I will say sucked, but stoped my periods, so no pain. I finally had a hystorectomy about 7 years ago. It was life changing for me. I still have IBS, but I knew that if I had to have another period, I would probably kill myself, it was so horrible. By the time they did the surgery, I had Endo on my uterus, intestines, and my ovaries had adhered themselves to my pelvic wall. This was after 6 months of Lupron. Have the laproscopy.....insist on it. You don't have to be in pain. Getting pregnant definitely helps, but it is harder when you have endo, and impossible if you are on Lupron. And not everyone wants children. Good luck. Find a doctor that listens to you. Mine did and understood that I knew my body and what I was going through more than she ever could.

Re: endometriosis-UPDATE new
      #318769 - 11/15/07 04:12 PM
Aly

So I just got home from the doc. I got a call from them around 4.30 and they wanted me to come in. I saw the nurse practitioner instead of my doc, which might have been a good thing to get a so-called second opinion. She believes I probably do have endo, but would like to try to treat it with meds before doing a laproscopy. Sounds good to me. She gave me naproxen to take twice a day during my period. I just took one and can only hope to stop this horrific cramping. Anyone take naproxen before? it's 550 mg.
Anyway, she said I might want to talk to my doc about doing a laprascope anyway. My insurance is going to change in January and my insurance now is so good, I probably should do it soon. So I'll schedule an appt soon.
So thanks for the advice and here's hoping my heating pad, naproxen and sooo unsafe pizza will cure me. Maybe even a dash of chocolate to end it all...
Aly

--------------------
IBS-A

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 217 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10227

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review