All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Surveys about our habits and personality
      #318649 - 11/14/07 04:21 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

This isn't an actual survey at this time but I could make it one if necessary. I am trying to do some research into a possible 'IBS personality'.
How many people eat too fast?
How many grind their teeth or bite nails?
Who here describes themself as nervous in social situations or tends to get stressed or worried about things like that?
How many grew up not wanting to answer nature's call, either number one or two?
Do you think you would not have IBS so bad if you had gotten used to going to the bathroom whenever you feel like it without any embarrassment?
Is anyone here super casual about that kind of thing?
Is anyone laid back, moves and eats slowly and never really worries?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Surveys about our habits and personality new
      #318666 - 11/14/07 06:26 PM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

oh wow here are my answers minnie!
How many people eat too fast? yes How many grind their teeth or bite nails? yep nails Who here describes themself as nervous in social situations or tends to get stressed or worried about things like that? guilty

How many grew up not wanting to answer nature's call, either number one or two? couldn't use public toilets till in my twenties
Do you think you would not have IBS so bad if you had gotten used to going to the bathroom whenever you feel like it without any embarrassment? probably
Is anyone here super casual about that kind of thing? no
Is anyone laid back, moves and eats slowly and never really worries no

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

Edited by Dizzy (11/14/07 06:28 PM)

another question new
      #318683 - 11/14/07 08:18 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

I'd also ask how many of us have either dealt with eating disorders or other problematic eating issues and anxieties - anorexia, bulemia, overeating, weight problems.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#318686 - 11/14/07 09:05 PM

Unregistered

I do

I don't

Who here describes themself as nervous in social situations or tends to get stressed or worried about things like that?
Ever since I can remember

Not me

Do you think you would not have IBS so bad if you had gotten used to going to the bathroom whenever you feel like it without any embarrassment?
N/A

I am

Maybe in another lifetime

#318691 - 11/15/07 04:54 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I do sometimes. I have to remind myself to slow down.

If I am extremely stressed out, I grind my teeth. Hasn't happened in a couple years.

Me! I always worry about how I am coming off.

Nope, not me. But I do remember walking home from high school (short walk really) and having to break into a run for the last few steps because suddenly I REALLY HAD TO GO!

Doesn't apply.

The only time I'm really uncomfortable asking "Where's the bathroom?" is at a job interview.

#318699 - 11/15/07 05:57 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I eat moderate to fast

no

Yup, I do, I really worry about what other people may think of me and if they'll judge me. I really want to be liked.

number two

Well I never felt embarrassed I just didn't want to go because I felt like I was wasting time (in school), or the bathroom didn't seem private enough so yes

no

no

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#318720 - 11/15/07 09:41 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Nope, I've always been the slow eater, last one at the dinner table.

No

I love being in social situations, however I do get stressed about my IBS, traveling (the actual getting there part), and school.

Nope, I always went when I had to go.

No

Yep haha, I will go in public washrooms, talk and laugh with my friends (some) about bathroom troubles. However most of my friends don't seem to understand or want to hear it so I respect their wishes to not talk about it.

I move and eat slowly but I wouldn't call myself laid back.

--------------------
Kat

#318723 - 11/15/07 09:45 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

Yup!

Both.

Not social situations entirely, but I do have nervousness/awkwardness about some things.

I didn't have that problem.

Not an issue for me. I developed it when I worked in an office with single bathrooms. But it was also a time when I was seeing a lot of theatre, and getting up to leave in the middle of a show was anxietous.

I've gotten over it. By necessity.

I worry about some things, not about others.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#318724 - 11/15/07 09:46 AM
melinda413

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Findlay, OH

I would say yeah I probably do

I used to grind my teeth but never bite my nails

Definitely me, not to the point where I don't go but I really get nervous beforehand

Nope

N/A

Not really but not supre anal about it either

Nope!

--------------------
Melinda
IBS-A but leans toward C mostly

#318753 - 11/15/07 12:36 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

How many people eat too fast? I'm a fast eater.

How many grind their teeth or bite nails? I do neither.

Who here describes themself as nervous in social situations or tends to get stressed or worried about things like that? I'm neither.

How many grew up not wanting to answer nature's call, either number one or two? #1 is not a problem and #2 I've always preferred to do it at home because I like the peace and quiet. Before IBS and I did #2 outside of home, it was because I got D from something I may've eaten. Nowadays, I feel that if I go outside of home, I feel like I'm opening the floodgates and won't be able to stop. I recently had to go as soon as I got into work last week and I went yesterday as soon as I got in and yesterday was much easier than the first time. Whew!

Do you think you would not have IBS so bad if you had gotten used to going to the bathroom whenever you feel like it without any embarrassment? I'm 99% sure that my IBS stems from a traumatic colonoscopy and anxiety.

Is anyone here super casual about that kind of thing? Nature's calls have never made me shy away. 'Specially now that I have IBS!

Is anyone laid back, moves and eats slowly and never really worries? I used to be that way and I'm still that way except for the worries. My anxiety always has me worrying that I may get sick, whether it be upchucking or pooping.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#318759 - 11/15/07 01:02 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

How many people eat too fast? I don't think I do

How many grind their teeth or bite nails? I always bit my nails as a kid, and now I pick at them if I'm nervous

Who here describes themself as nervous in social situations or tends to get stressed or worried about things like that? I do stress easily, but enjoy myself in social situations *if* I'm feeling well. If I even get a rumble in my tummy, its all I think about and my worries start

How many grew up not wanting to answer nature's call, either number one or two? def. fits me. I remember I went 7 days not going at camp b/c I was too embarassed. I'm sure this started everything off..

Do you think you would not have IBS so bad if you had gotten used to going to the bathroom whenever you feel like it without any embarrassment? absolutely

Is anyone here super casual about that kind of thing? haha not me! I am much more casual about it now, but it took YEARS for me to get here

Is anyone laid back, moves and eats slowly and never really worries? I wish...still a worrier...always will be

--------------------
IBS-A

#318767 - 11/15/07 03:59 PM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

How many people eat too fast? I'm a fast eater, got in that habit in high school eating on the run and still that way as a teacher...never enough time

How many grind their teeth or bite nails? Grind my teeth

Who here describes themself as nervous in social situations or tends to get stressed or worried about things like that? Always nervous, I'm the wallflower at parties.

How many grew up not wanting to answer nature's call, either number one or two? #1 is not a problem, always having to go. #2 not so much a problem anymore, but growing up would be embarrassed about it.

Do you think you would not have IBS so bad if you had gotten used to going to the bathroom whenever you feel like it without any embarrassment? Not sure.

Is anyone here super casual about that kind of thing? Never a casual thing for me.

Is anyone laid back, moves and eats slowly and never really worries? Type A personality all the way

No eating disorders either.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#318790 - 11/15/07 08:34 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

How many people eat too fast? I sometimes don't even chew.
How many grind their teeth or bite nails? I grind really bad, actually I clench. As soon as I got teeth I clenched them. I wear a mouthguard but still clench with a lot of force. No nail biting, but I do fidget.
Who here describes themself as nervous in social situations or tends to get stressed or worried about things like that? I get stressed around people- not in a scared of people sort of way. In fact public speaking isn't a problem for me. It is more of the little day to day getting along with people and finding things to say and watching people be annoying/unaware and that sort of thing. It is pretty severe. Much rather be at home with cats.
How many grew up not wanting to answer nature's call, either number one or two? I went 36 hours without peeing when I was about 11 because I wouldn't go at school and I stayed over at a friend's and was embarrassed. I only feel comfortable at home for #2 but have to try to get over that at work. I even backpack and that (pooping on throne in woods in the open) is easier than at work or other public place. It either has to be empty or very busy for me to be able to go. I try but just can't.
Do you think you would not have IBS so bad if you had gotten used to going to the bathroom whenever you feel like it without any embarrassment? This is just my feeling about my own situation. I grew up very ashamed about human private matters. I wish we didn't evacuate waste or reproduce the way we do! I think all the holding it has definitely affected me and it doesn't really go away.
I am very surprised at the couple people who are casual, open and laid back! Why does your body have IBS symptoms then?
I have never had eating disorders or a problem with food. I have often been 10 pounds overweight but never more over or under.
Thanks for the responses!!!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#318830 - 11/16/07 09:12 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

"I am very surprised at the couple people who are casual, open and laid back! Why does your body have IBS symptoms then?"

I know some people's IBS may be caused by anxiety (and definitely aggravated by it), but I know for a fact other's IBS are not caused by anxiety. Mine in particular has been aggravated by stress but for the past month at least I've had zero symptoms while dealing with tons of stress with school and friends. For me, diet is way more of a cause for IBS than stress.

Unfortunately for people who's IBS is mainly controlled by stress, it's probably a lot harder to manage symptoms. We can always control what goes in our mouth, but stress is so hard to deal with sometimes. I still haven't figured out how to deal with common life stress and can't understand how some people live life so laid back.

"Much rather be at home with cats. "
Me too, as much as I love being social, I also love being at home with my own food, in my comfy clothes, curled up watching a fun movie (or sleeping through it).

--------------------
Kat

#318832 - 11/16/07 09:16 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

I always eat too fast

Not Me

I do, ALL THE TIME

Definitley me!

Probably

Not me

Is anyone laid back, moves and eats slowly and never really worries? Never

#318856 - 11/16/07 12:48 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Quote:

I am very surprised at the couple people who are casual, open and laid back! Why does your body have IBS symptoms then?

Boy do I wish I knew the answer to that one. Actually, I wish I knew the answer to all of my nuttiness.

I was born with a heart murmur. Why me? I dunno.
I was born with motion sickness which means that I have an inner ear inbalance. Why me? Damned if I know.
I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease in '96 and have always and still have to fight that. Somebody up there doesn't like me?
I had a traumatic colonoscopy that brought on my IBS symptons. What am I? The world's guinea pig?!

Anyway, I've always been the kind of person who's lax, stress free, lets things roll off my back, open minded, if you gotta go you gotta go attitude, etc. which is why I don't understand why I'm always that 1 in 10. Definitely sucks big time. Now as soon as I feel that little flutter in my tummy, I go into anxiety hell wondering how I'm going to get home etc. To describe the feeling, I would have to compare it to the feeling one gets when their in a store and pick up an expensive vase and you almost drop it. That's what I feel as soon as I feel something in my tummy. I believe that a majority of my issues are related to my anxiety that has become more pronounced since this IBS stuff. Sorry if I went off on a tantrum tangent. I'm going nuts!

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#318869 - 11/16/07 05:03 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

Quote:

This isn't an actual survey at this time but I could make it one if necessary. I am trying to do some research into a possible 'IBS personality'.

I definatly eat too fast.
I don't bite my nails or grind my teeth.
I'm never nervous in social situations but I do get stressed when it comes to deadlines at work and such.
I used to only go #2 at home but sometimes I get nervous at work and I just have to use their br and I really hate to!
I do think if I wasn't so embarrassed about going at work or in public places, I know my ibs d would be non-exsistant!
Never worries... I wish I didn't always worry.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 945 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3413

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review