All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Hohoyumyum and K2 new
      #319751 - 11/29/07 01:07 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I'm trying to get my GI to do an additional test for Celiac. So far I've had 2 different blood tests at different times and they were normal. I do want the confirmation though. If it is Celiac then I have to be careful of cross-contamination and avoiding gluten hidden in things like sauces. So far I've avoided all wheat products, but have had some soy-sauce with wheat and probably other sauces with wheat when I eat at restaurants or friend's houses. So I will ask for the endoscopy where they take a biopsy.
Still waiting to see him, hoping he gets a cancellation so I can go in sooner (so far appointment is in January). Also I'm worried I'll have to go back on a high-gluten diet before the test which might make my symptoms bad again. Ugh! Can't wait for all this to be over with.

Best-case is I have the test done soon and it's negative. Then I'll go back on gluten-free diet and watch my symptoms without worrying about small amounts of gluten. I do agree it's easier to deal with a gluten sensitivity than not knowing is causing symptoms.

--------------------
Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

IBS and gluten sensitive new
      #319789 - 11/30/07 07:05 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

And it would be so much easier to be gluten sensitive than having IBS.

I'm not saying you would have both, but I think most people on this sight who follow a GF diet also have IBS in addition to it.

Quote:

My doctor said that they used to test for another antibody and that this test was only accurate in children and that they now test another type of antibody in adults

What is this new test? I'm wondering which one I had done now. I know I'm not celiac because I do not carry the gene, but I did have positive antibodies....but a normal biopsy.

what is a gastroscopy? Hope you find some answers soon!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: IBS and gluten sensitive new
      #319793 - 11/30/07 08:02 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

They used to test for gliadin-antibodies before. But since then they have found that celiacs in chidlren and adults are probably two different conditions. The old test was not very accurate in adults and could give "false positive results" according to an information page I found. Now they instead test endomysie- or transglutaminas-antibodies for adults. This is considered to be highly accurate according to my GP. (Not sure these antibodies are called the exact same thing in English as in Swedish but it should be something similar.)

A gastroscopy is just the Swedish term for upper endoscopy.

About your other comment, I think that some cases of IBS could certainly be just gluten sensitivity. And after all IBS is just a collection of symptoms and doesn't say anything about the cause of the problem so if gluten would be the underlying problem for some people it may be that a GF diet would actually cure their IBS.

/Ulrika

#319812 - 11/30/07 11:42 AM
Jordy

Quote:

They used to test for gliadin-antibodies before. But since then they have found that celiacs in chidlren and adults are probably two different conditions. The old test was not very accurate in adults and could give "false positive results" according to an information page I found. Now they instead test endomysie- or transglutaminas-antibodies for adults. This is considered to be highly accurate according to my GP.

Whoa. I never heard this before. My tests that were positive were the gliadan tests. The endomysie- or tansglutaminas test was negative (yep, same name here in US). Perhaps I have been eating GF for nothing. I am so confused. The GF diet really hasn't given me the success it seems to have given Kat, Sarah, and Melissa. I still have bloat and gas and pain....just not the D.

Where did you read this info? Please....I would love to read this! I was always told that the gliadin was over 90% accurate. Plus, I just had my blood tested again after being GF...and this time all the antibodies came back negative.

Thank you so much for telling me this. My doctors seem to have no answers. I wonder if anyone here in the states could enlighten me on this.

I wish I could be brave and just try gluten again....but I am terrified of it by now.

--------------------

#319817 - 11/30/07 12:21 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

But certainly your not having D is a good thing though?

The web page where I found the info was in Swedish unfortunately so I guess that won't help you. Sorry.

/Ulrika

#319818 - 11/30/07 01:00 PM
Jordy

Yes, it's a good thing. But now I have chronic C instead. to the point of taking Miralax.

--------------------

Good reference new
      #319822 - 11/30/07 01:48 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Below is a link to an article about going why and how to "Go Glutten Free" written as a guideline for clinicians.

Reference
Dennis, M. and S. Case, 2004: Going Gluten-Free : A Primer for Clinicians. Practical Gastroenterology, 86.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Hohoyumyum and K2 new
      #319831 - 11/30/07 04:26 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I had allergy testing done. They sucked a bunch of blood out of me and away they went. I tested positive for a gluten sensitivity. I never thought to test for gluten because I was stable for so long eating wheat products. But after a few months of flare up this year I decided to have testing done for everything I eat and that was the only thing to come back positive.

It's been a little over a month now and I'm feeling better than ever.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Thanks Syl...helpful to better understand GF N/T new
      #319848 - 11/30/07 07:47 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 448 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24929

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review