All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Recipes??? new
      #319277 - 11/21/07 09:13 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

Amaranth I get in the form of pasta (amaranth flour + rice flour), flour which I've made tortillas with (they didn't turn out great but work ok), and puffed which I mix with unsweetened almond milk and berries,

How do you make your tortillas and bars?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Bump for K2-nt new
      #319626 - 11/28/07 06:28 AM
Jordy

--------------------

Re: Recipes??? new
      #319653 - 11/28/07 09:56 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Sorry I must have missed this post..

The tortillas I tried this recipe: Amaranth Tortillas
Basically you could try any flour for tortillas, just figuring out the amount of water needed would be different.

The bars I just eyeball, and they really haven't turned out that well in terms of being a 'bar' form. I put about 1/4 cup puffed cereal for 1 tbsp peanut butter and a small amount of honey. Mix it all and coat the puffs as much as possible. It's tasty but I can't seem to get it to stick together properly.

--------------------
Kat

Thanks! new
      #319714 - 11/29/07 07:59 AM
Jordy

I can't find amaranth puffs anywhere though! Been to 3 HFS.

--------------------

What kind of changes? new
      #319715 - 11/29/07 08:00 AM
Jordy

Glad it helps! Don't you find it difficult to follow? What are you eating daily?

--------------------

Re: Thanks! new
      #319731 - 11/29/07 10:07 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

You can try puffing your own: take amaranth seeds, put about a tbsp in a hot pan and shake it. Kinda like making popcorn the old-fashioned way. I tried it once but had a lot of un-popped kernels.

Or you can try other puffs like quinoa puffs, millet puffs, I'm sure they'd taste just as good with the peanut butter and honey. They might also form more of a bar.

--------------------
Kat

#319732 - 11/29/07 10:08 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Quote:

I can't find amaranth puffs anywhere though! Been to 3 HFS.

I haven't found them either so I bought these Amaranth Flakes. They taste pretty good and they're not sweet (which is a good thing for me). However, they do contain other grains besides amaranth.
If you're just looking for breakfast "cereal" in general I also eat quinoa and buckwheat. I cook up a batch (in water only) and keep it in the fridge for a few days. I add some rice milk and fruit and either eat it cold or nuke it. Very yummy

I also bought plain amaranth but I have no idea how to prepare it and what to eat it with

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#319733 - 11/29/07 10:10 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I wonder it you can also make the puffs in the microwave...Kat, have you tried it?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: What kind of changes? new
      #319745 - 11/29/07 11:54 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Quote:

What are you eating daily?

I've gotten this question more times than I can count over the years with the IBS diet and now recently with a GF diet. I eat the same things everyone else eats. I just sub certain ingredients. Instead of wheat flour, I use rice flour. I've been using brown rice pasta. I went to local stores that carry gluten free products and pretty much tried one of everything until I found what I like. I found that the children's brands of GF cereals are actually a lot better than the ones targeted at adults. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies that I couldn't tolerate before because of the reaction I was having from gluten. I found a tapioca bread that is pretty good and a pecan raisin that is really good. I mostly buy mainstream brands of foods. I just check the ingredients and make sure it doesn't have anything I can't have in it.

As for changes, the gas, bloating, pressure and nausea are completely gone. There is much less sense of urgency now. I occasionally have soft stools but I think it's just because I am reintroducing so many foods I haven't had in the last 5 or so years. I've been feeling much better and I have even started losing some of the stubborn pounds that have been hanging around my backside for the last year.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Hohoyumyum and K2 new
      #319748 - 11/29/07 12:43 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I don't remember if I have asked you this before but have you had anything suggest you may be gluten sensitive? Like blood or stool antibodies or abnormal gastroscopic biopsy?

Just asking because I just had another blood test for gluten antibodies. My doctor said that they used to test for another antibody and that this test was only accurate in children and that they now test another type of antibody in adults. Anyway, the test came back negative. But when I mentioned to her today that I know of people who didn't have any blood antibodies but still responded really well to a GF diet she offered to refer me for a gastroscopy. This is the only test I haven't had so I think it's good. Plus I didn't even have to ask for it. But that's not all - she actually said she'd refer me to a private practitioner and she said she thought that we'd get it done and maybe even get the results before Xmas! Total shock. But in a good way of course. Now I hope something will show up so that I get a really good reason for trying a GF diet. It's easier to decide to give it a real shot if you really suspect it. And it would be so much easier to be gluten sensitive than having IBS. I still have problems from time to time and tend to do the BTC diet like once every one-two months parts of the year. And I am still on loperamide daily. I have had problems with blood sugar fluctuations and just now tried eating root veggies and bread with my main meals instead of bread and rice/potatoes and a smaller amount of veggies to see if that would help. But I can tell you this - my bowels were not very happy with that decision. So please wish me luck with the gastroscopy and gluten thing...

Glad to see you're both feeling so good on the GF diet.

Hugs,

Ulrika

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 173 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24935

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review