All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Tried a GF diet but it didn't work???? new
      #318206 - 11/08/07 07:16 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Seems like more positive responses than not. But still differences. this is very confusing. Has anyone else tried a GF diet and have it not work?

Actually, I thought there would be more people who were following it than the 3 who most graciously responded (thanks again).
thanks for the responses, ladies. For those it has worked for.....how wonderful!!! I wonder why it doesn't work for everyone. Why can't there just be one answer!!!!!!!!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

But Syl... new
      #318207 - 11/08/07 07:23 AM
Jordy

you still eat wheat even on your low fructose diet, don't you?? what about the fructans?

--------------------

Re: Tried a GF diet but it didn't work???? new
      #318208 - 11/08/07 07:31 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

When you tried a GF diet what were you using as substitutes? Did you base your diet on rice, corn etc? I'm not entirely sure it's the gluten that's causing problems for me, but it may be grains in general. That may be something to consider.

Also, it may be that you do fine with grains, and something else is the cause for your symptoms. Don't give up trying to figure it out though.

--------------------
Kat

Re: But Syl... new
      #318209 - 11/08/07 07:55 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

In one of the recent papers on the dietary management of fructose malabsorption the authors recommend restricting fructans consumption to about 10-20 grams/day. A 65 gram slice of white bread contains about 2 grams. I try to keep my total fructan intake near the lower end of the range. I ~seem~ to be ok I eat some wheat and I don't worry about gluten.

In summary I restrict my fructan intake I don't try to eliminate them. Others may find that they are more sensitive to fructans than excess fructose and they have to restrict their wheat consumption more than I do. Unfortunately, like many things with IBS you have to figure out your own limits.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#318579 - 11/14/07 06:55 AM
Jordy

Quote:

When you tried a GF diet what were you using as substitutes? Did you base your diet on rice, corn etc?

Yes. I substituted with rice and corn very much. Plus some quinoa and amaranth.

Do you also follow a low fructose diet, Kat? It really helps me to see your meals on the fitness board. Excellent samples for me to try too. Although, doesn't teriyaki sauce contain wheat or some sort of gluten?

--------------------

#318594 - 11/14/07 09:24 AM
K2

You may want to try GF but with using less corn. Rice has proven to be one of the most easily digested grains, but corn is probably not. Quinoa and amaranth have become staples in my diet. Before I went GF I still had days when my stomach wasn't stable at all, quinoa and amaranth didn't seem hard to digest at all.

The teriyaki sauce I make from scratch. I use Tamari sauce (soy sauce without any wheat), vinegar, honey, garlic, and ginger. So there isn't any wheat in it. I don't follow a low fructose diet (I eat applesauce almost daily).

--------------------
Kat

#318701 - 11/15/07 06:51 AM
Jordy

Thanks Kat. The corn is in the form of polento and cornmeal in cereal, so it's ground up. Still may be causing problems?

Do you include potatoes of any form in your diet? What products do you use the quinoa and amaranth in? I know you have quinoa flakes, but do you eat the round grain? How about amaranth. Do you eat the cooked grain form? I eat the grain quinoa, but only have tried amaranth as a cereal form. Also, buckwheat noodles. Have you tried that in the kernal form?

Thanks for all the help. I'll send you my email address since you have so graciously offered to forward that info!

Oh, about the rice. I think it is very constipating. I went gung ho with substituting rice products and that is when the C worsened. So, now I try to limit that too.

Do you ever feel like you are being cheated? Do you ever get angry that you have to follow the ibs and the GF and the DF diet? I do. I crave foods I'm not suppose to have. I just get so angry. How do you come to peace with knowing you will never be able to have some of your favorite foods ever again?

--------------------

#318705 - 11/15/07 07:12 AM
K2

I'm not sure if corn would be a problem for you, but if you tried GF and had lots of corn products, try next time not having lots of corn products.

I eat both white potatoes and sweet. I have quinoa flakes and quinoa grain. The grain I use as a substitute for rice sometimes with stir fry. I've only had buckwheat noodles, haven't tried the groats because I haven't found them yet. Amaranth I get in the form of pasta (amaranth flour + rice flour), flour which I've made tortillas with (they didn't turn out great but work ok), and puffed which I mix with unsweetened almond milk and berries, or peanut butter. I eat rice most days, but usually only about 1/2 cup or so per day. Don't cut rice out, but try to incorporate other foods so you aren't eating too much rice.

I've had IBS as long as I can remember. I can't remember a time when I didn't have stomach pain and difficulty digesting. Now I finally feel great, and so I would say I'm not angry I have to eat this way. I never knew I had it so bad my whole life and at the same time never knew what it was like to be normal. I don't feel restricted on my diet, I love vegetables, fruit, fish, nuts etc... I love the fact that now I don't have to worry about what I'm eating and when and how much fat there's in it. Although I follow Heather's diet in terms of avoiding the triggers, I'm not really following the fat content rules or SF first.

As for sweets and dairy, I used to live on that stuff. Now that I've changed my diet completely and pretty much have no added sugar, I'm enjoying the actual "true" taste of foods and it's wonderful. I love the taste of strawberries just on their own, whereas before I used to coat them in sugar. Sweet potato tastes great without adding butter to it.

I would say I've come to find new foods that I love. Kinda like getting over an old BF, I don't really care for the dairy or sweets anymore. I love my new foods and I'm committed to them!

--------------------
Kat

I thought there were more new
      #319065 - 11/19/07 08:32 AM
Jordy

Anybody else willing to share their GF experience? Positive or negative?

--------------------

I just started one a few weeks ago and have seen wonderful changes in GI function. n/t new
      #319137 - 11/19/07 06:38 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1038 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24912

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review