All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Who follows a gluten or wheat free diet.? new
      #318141 - 11/07/07 09:00 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hmmm, just been reading all the posts on this and i'm wondering whether i should try avoiding gluten rather than wheat as it's only since i've been eating more rye bread has my constipation and cramping returned...

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Both new
      #318142 - 11/07/07 09:16 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I'm not sure if for me it's fructans or not, since I do fine with garlic and onion. I hardly eat any commercially prepared food which has also helped.

BTW (completely off topic) After thanksgiving in Oct I made a broth with the turkey carcass and some meat. I know you make your own homemade broth with chicken. I just wanted to know how you do it exactly? Do you buy a whole chicken, or parts? One thing I noticed right away was the consistency was like jello when cooled, and when I had soup from this broth my stomach was so calm and soothed. I'm never buying commercially made broth again, it's just not the same.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Both new
      #318147 - 11/07/07 09:53 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I make my chicken broth from whole chickens or pieces. It depends on how much I want to make. The jello like consistency of cooled broth comes from the collagen found in the bones and connective tissue. I understand that you can increase the amount of collagen by adding the feet to the broth too. Apparently they contain a lot of connective tissue. Like you I will never buy commercial broth again.

If you want a quick test of your sensitivity to fructans try eating some Jerusalem artichokes and see how they affect you. They pass through me like grease lightining

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Where to buy chicken parts? new
      #318149 - 11/07/07 10:02 AM
K2

Ok this may sound dumb but I haven't been able to find chicken parts. I can find whole frozen chickens but didn't know if that would be good. I tried asking at a few grocery stores if they have chicken parts and they look at me like I'm an alien! They show me the chicken breasts, thighs and wings out on display. Can you make a good broth from those?

--------------------
Kat

#318151 - 11/07/07 10:50 AM
Syl

Frozen chickens work fine for broth. By chicken parts I meant I buy a package of breast, thighs or wings. I prefer the breast on the bone because the bone adds flavour and collagen. It is a bit more expensive but I prefer the breast meat in my soups

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: Thanks! new
      #318152 - 11/07/07 10:55 AM
K2

I JUST had a chunk of chicken breast on bone, cut the chicken off to throw in a stir fry and threw out the rest. I can't believe I did that.. ugh
I'm gonna pick up the same thing and make a soup next time. And yeah I prefer chicken breast meat in the finished soup, so I could probably separate it from the bone when finished and leave it in.
If I used the chicken breast on bone, how much water do you think I should add? It was 2 large chicken breasts with a bone in the middle.

--------------------
Kat

#318153 - 11/07/07 10:56 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

I agree with Sy the breast is the best part!! The last two soups I made were from the chickens at my local farmers market. Boy, did I see a difference since all there chicken and turkey is Organic and free range.The only other broth I will use is the vegetable or chicken in a pinch FF from Health Valley.

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

Re: Thanks! new
      #318162 - 11/07/07 01:17 PM
Syl

My rule of thumb is to just cover the chicken on bone with water and simmer in a covered pot. If the flavour is too strong you can dilute the stock to taste. Boiled chicken breast makes excellent sandwich meat too

--------------------

broth new
      #318182 - 11/07/07 05:29 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Kitchen Basics stock is very good. It is super safe too. Also Emeril's is pretty good. I am not a fan of his but use his stock if Kitchen Basics is not there. I also make my own stock but find the freezing and storing of it to be a pain.
Stock can be made with poultry bones and veggies and herbs; you don't need or want the meat. Roasting the bones if raw is a way to add extra flavor.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Who follows a gluten or wheat free diet.? new
      #318203 - 11/08/07 07:01 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

I tried gluten free for a trial period of two months (although I tested negative for celiac). I did feel a little better during that period, but still had my bad days. At the end of the two months I reintroduced gluten and started eating a lot of it so I could tell if it was an issue. There was no change. So it seems that gluten is not a culprit for me.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 325 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24920

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review