All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Who follows a gluten or wheat free diet.?
      #318066 - 11/06/07 10:49 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I'm not sure if Jenny and Welshsarah still post, but I was wondering how your GF diet worked out...or didn't work out.

Who on this board follows a gluten free diet and why? Most importantly, what has it done for your symptoms.

Thanks all.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I do new
      #318075 - 11/06/07 12:52 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I've been following a gluten-free diet on top of Heather's EFI diet for about a month. This change completely got rid of bloating, gas, pain and cramps. Urgency has been greatly reduced as well. I have cut down on Imodium, only using it now when I have D and have to do a presentation or take a test or something that I can't easily get to a washroom. Mostly I have D due to stress or eating too much in one sitting.

I have had bloodwork done for celiac that came back negative. I had allergy testing that showed no allergy to wheat or other gluten-containing grains. However in the process of constantly trying to make myself feel better this was one option I decided to try. It has been the best change in my symptoms since I removed dairy from my diet.

I do not rely solely on rice for my SF base. I eat plenty of quinoa, buckwheat noodles, amaranth puffs, potato, sweet potato, squashes, beets, zucchini, carrots, etc...

--------------------
Kat

Re: I do new
      #318079 - 11/06/07 01:22 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Do you think the benefit you are experiencing is coming from having removed gluten or having removed wheat from your diet?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Both new
      #318080 - 11/06/07 01:30 PM
K2

For one week I removed wheat only and my symptoms got noticeably better. I still had oats, barley and spelt. However when I cut those out my symptoms pretty much went away.

I believe some people just don't tolerate grains as well as others. White rice seems fine with me and I've read that it is often the easiest to digest. Amaranth, buckwheat and quinoa are not really grains so they probably don't digest the same way. Gluten-containing grains seem to be the worst for me. I never would have guessed this a year ago when I was living on white bread and doing relatively ok with my IBS-D. However I was also drinking tons of teas, using peppermint caps, gas-stop, Imodium, ginger etc...

I have had traces of gluten in sauces or contaminated foods when I'm eating out. I haven't really noticed this making a difference in my symptoms.

--------------------
Kat

#318115 - 11/06/07 07:13 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

K2, can you give us an example of a daily menu for you now that you are avoiding wheat and gluten? Thanks.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: Example diet new
      #318119 - 11/06/07 07:58 PM
K2

Here's an example of one day's snacks and meals.

Breakfast: quinoa flakes, blueberries, almonds

Snack: sweet potato

Lunch: avocado sushi (avocado, nori, rice), baked salmon

Snacks: carrots, applesauce, Spirulina

Dinner: Stir fry with shrimp, zucchini, mushrooms, garlic, ginger, tamari sauce, buckwheat noodles (100% buckwheat)

Snack: peanut butter amaranth bar (amaranth puffs, peanut butter, honey), strawberries

--------------------
Kat

Re: Who follows a gluten or wheat free diet.? new
      #318127 - 11/07/07 06:03 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

I follow a GF diet and my symtoms improved tremendously!

For breakfast, I have turkey sausage, GF waffles, bananas
Lunch, I have Jenny-O Turkey Burger, french fries, pickles, corn

For Dinner, I have chicken breast, potato chips, baked potato.

For snacks, I eat apple cinnamon rice cakes, corn chips, Veggies, and homemade chocolate rice cake.

Thank you! n/t new
      #318128 - 11/07/07 06:14 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#318139 - 11/07/07 08:52 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Thank you for the insight. The reason I asked is that some grains like wheat contain inulins and/or fructooligosaccharides which are collectively called fructans. Unlike gluten which is a protein these are carbohydrates made up of chains of fructose molecules which are undigestible by mammals. Mammals don't have the enzymes need to break these molecules down so they pass through the GI tract to the bowel were they are fermented. Fructans are not only found in wheat but in vegetables like onion, garlic and artichokes. Also, recently fructans have been added to some commercially prepared foods too. It has been found that fructans particularly inulins can produce bloating and gas. Heather even warns about the problem with inulin based SFS.

Anyway - just another bit of information you might consider when experimenting with your diet.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Who follows a gluten or wheat free diet.? new
      #318140 - 11/07/07 08:53 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hi Jordy, sorry haven't been on for a while as life's been a bit hectic! I'm still on a wheat-free diet as well as Heather's diet and it's working well. I very rarely get bloated and if i get constipated it doesn't last more than a few days. The only problems i experience are when i don't follow heather's diet. Also, i eat rye bread since i can't have normal bread and this is high in IF so that sits quite heavily in my stomach and i occasionally get cramps with it.

Ultimately the wheat free diet combined with when i strictly follow Heather's diet works a treat for me

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 612 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 25233

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review