All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS-G
      #317728 - 10/31/07 02:49 PM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

ok i've posted before and didn't get much of a response, however i am hoping for a different turn out

i am just looking to see if anyone is in the same boat as me..

anyone have a MAIN symptom of GAS with D or C on the side?

thats me in a nut shell and nothing is working..

i just finished treatment for SIBO and noooooo change

i don't know whether to scream or cry

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Gas sucks. try these few ideas: new
      #317799 - 11/01/07 07:24 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

1. Check out the yoga for IBS icon on the LEFT HAND side of the page (click on gas relieving poses.) Whoo wee! Also, if you have any children, lie on your back and have them sit on your stomach just below your belly button. That works great too.
2. Try child position in yoga (knees and feet on the floor, bring your knees into your abdomen and stretch your hands past your head on the floor) You can also alternate this position by bringing one knee into your chest on the floor and extending the other leg behind you, and then bringing your chest and head to the floor.
3. TONS of fennel tea. Try crushing it lightly with a mortar and pestle or a knife and put it in a tea strainer. Hope you like licorice taste. If you don't ( I hate it), try sneaking it in with some other tea you do like.
4. If you don't like fennel tea, I go by my standby peppermint tea. Heather's is the best.
5. Make sure you're not getting ANY dairy products or substitutes with casein or whey in them.
6. Avoid gas producing veggies for a while - such as broccoli, cauliflour, cabbage, etc.
7. Make sure you're keeping your fats down - eat low/no fat as much as possible.
8. NO large meals. Eat several small meals throughout the day. There's nothing worse than a full stomach PLUS an abdomen full of gas as well. Smaller meals are more easily digested and are less likely to produce gas.
9. Go for a 10 minute walk after meals. A little mild exercise helps with digestion. Don't lie down after meals either.
10. Eat SLOWLY. Don't gulp and chew thoroughly.
Good luck. I hope maybe a few of these will help!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: IBS-G new
      #317801 - 11/01/07 07:36 PM
FLK

Reged: 11/01/07
Loc: USA

Hi. I have the same problem as you. I actually just joined. I am so frustrated because it seems like nothing works, and I can't eat anything. I did just order some fennel tea, which is supposed to work. I'm hoping that that will help. I have been taking probiotics for a while, which I think might help a little. I take Culturelle, which you can get at Walgreens. There is also a company, Digestive Advantage, that has probiotics for IBS and another one that is specifically for gas. I took that one for about 8 days because I had a sample, (you can order a sample on the website)but I never continued to take it. If you try it, and it works, let me know. I am considering trying the low fructose diet. What have you tried?

Re: Gas sucks. try these few ideas: new
      #317812 - 11/02/07 08:05 AM

Unregistered

Yoda,

Thanks for these tips. I am going to post them by my bed. I know I have to start eating slowly. I do everything quickly and unfortunately I eat quickly too. Starting today I commit to slooooow eating. And as much as I don't like the fennel tea I WILL drink more of it.
Questions: When you say crush the fennel tea are you referring to Heathers tea bags?
Thanks

tea bags are fine. Crush the unbagged fennel for stronger tea in tea strainer. -nt- new
      #317851 - 11/02/07 05:36 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#317868 - 11/03/07 05:25 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

Well... I used to be up until I was about 19. I am now 23. Around 19 it changed from D every day to maybe 1-3 times a week (which for normal people seems nuts but for me it was amazing) and then all of the sudden I started getting horrible gas and bloating every day! I tried every over the counter gas medicine. No luck. I altered my diet no luck. Though I had Celiac's Disease, ate gluten free for a year. No luck. Followed pretty closly to heathers diet no luck. Cut out all diary and even soy. No luck. Just tested positive for SIBO. Took the treatment. NO &*$%ing luck!!!! No matter what I eat or drink nothing. I've tried fennel.. even went out and bought fennel and chewed it. NASTY. I am going to try the SIBO/Fructose Malabsorbtion diet and see where that takes me. It's just so limited and it gives you lists of what you can have, yet no list of what you can have. I need structure. I need to be told eat this for breakfast, this for lunch and this for dinner. It's difficult enough to change your diet completely, and if you don't know what you are doing it's even worse. My diet has been unbalanced for so long. I tried taking vitamins again but between the 3 calcium pills, 3 multi, 2 glucosamine, 1 b complex, probiotics and all of the horse pills, I almost throw up!!! For breakfast I just had cheerios crunch with rice milk over it. There is no dairy, its not high in fiber and there is no HFCS. There is no reason that I should feel crappy later, but I bet I will!!!! What I wouldn't give for pancakes.....

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

#317881 - 11/03/07 12:39 PM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

My gas symptoms are a bit milder than you appear to be experiencing but gas is/was my main problem along with boughts of D that came out of "nowhere". Now that I am following Heather's diet and drinking to teas (fennel and mint) with Tummy Fiber twice a day I have stopped chewing about 20 mylanta gas tablets a day--I'm down to about 2 a day. What has made the most difference with the gas was starting to strictly follow the diet for Fructose Malabsorption. I was using honey liberally and also drinking fruit juice laced with HFCS. It was killing me. Everyone is different but give up the HFCS (read labels) and you should realize some change. Good luck to you. Believe me I know the pain and the embarrassment of this problem. You just want to stay out of polite company.

Barbara

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#317882 - 11/03/07 12:50 PM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

OK. I absolutely can't take vitamins or mineral supplements--ALL of them (and I have tried them believe me) cause me to have incredible problems with gas and bloating. The best gas relief I get is from chewable advanced Immodium (even if I don't have D)but I don't like taking it. For breakfast I have oatmeal or cream of rice with nothing but a little cane sugar. I grill chicken breasts and eat them with baked white potatoes or cooked pasta or rice for lunch. I always add some IF (usually boiled or grilled zuchini or yellow squash or carrots, etc.). I fix a lot of fresh green beans (cooked to mush). I also grill salmon fillets and shrimp. I drink Almond milk or rice milk that has been enriched with calcium. I also drink low sodium V-8. I also drink at least 8 glasses of pure water each day. (I drink bottled water b/c my faucet/city water has so many minerals it causes me problems). If you get Heather's cookbooks she has a lot of suggestions. One of my favorites is freshly baked French Bread or Sour Dough bread. When you eat, make sure you get SF first (potato, bread, rice, Tummy Fiber). Then eat other stuff. I hope that as I stabilize I will be able to eat a little more variety but if not I will be OK. Incidentally--last weekend I got away with pancakes made with rice milk, egg whites and heart healthy Bisquick with pure maple syrup. Didn't seem to bother me. Good luck.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#317962 - 11/05/07 07:09 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

Gas is definitely my main problem. It feels like the gas is appearing in my colon hours after certain meals, and it just sits there, rumbling and causing discomfort. It causes both mucus and D for me when it finally comes out.

I suspect the gas is related to bacteria, but I'm still trying to track down exactly what foods causes it. It could be fructose malabsorption or something else. I am taking Digestive Advantage for IBS, and I think it does help some but I'm still having issues.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#317974 - 11/05/07 11:06 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I can't stand regular tea and I don't like licorice so I know fennel tea is not an option!! I take fennel seed capsules but maybe I'm not taking enough? How much fennel is really needed? The container just says one with each meal but sometimes I take two before and one after...not really helping much once the gas has kicked in...

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#317979 - 11/05/07 11:59 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

I have tried both tea with fennel in it (Stomach Ease by Yogi Teas) and fennel capsules. Neither did much for me.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#328462 - 04/18/08 07:11 PM
binok

Reged: 03/22/08
Loc: CT

Hi!

I have the same problem!! Can't go anywhere when this gas starts up!!!! Where do you get this "Diet for Malabsorption"? I really need to do something!!

Binok

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2150 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3446

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review