All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Jessica Senifeld New Book! Need HELP!!
      #317680 - 10/30/07 04:38 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Ok so i wen tout and bough the book and I think its can be very helpful but I do have a few questions. I can't do tomatoes only fresh ones so any subs for that? And when the recipe calls for if do we use the whole amount or just go slow? Can we do flaxseed and does any one have a suggestion for sub califlower its a huge trigger for me. What is brown rice ceral would love to make the rice cripies and the browines what would we use for the 3 oz of cholcate thanks any suggestions would be great!
emmasmom
ibs-c
lactose interolant GAS! GAS!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

New one has any suggestions? nt new
      #317832 - 11/02/07 12:43 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Re: Jessica Senifeld New Book! Need HELP!! new
      #317835 - 11/02/07 01:01 PM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

I know nothing about that book. However, I did buy before brown rice Hot and cold cerals at the local health food store. I still have the cold one and some marshmellow to make the rice crispies but havent gotten to it. I was planning on adding 50/50 ratio to orgainc rice crispies. But I havent found them yet.

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#317836 - 11/02/07 01:08 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

Pureeing vegetables, which is what I think her recipes call for, makes them easier to digest, and they're mixed in with baked goods and whatnot, so as long as things are low-fat, these recipes are probably pretty okay. Flaxseed, even ground, can have too much IF if you're really sensitive, but try a little bit and see - it's a really healthy food, if it doesn't give you an attack. I think her recipes already call for pretty small amounts of veggies - 1/2 c spinach for a whole batch of brownies or something, right? - so reducing them shouldn't be necessary, even if I'm misremembering and it's 1/2 c of puree per serving. For brown rice cereal, you could just sub the white version, which'd be something like sugarless Rice Krispees.

And for some unsolicited advice - while her recipes are a decent way to get some extra nutrition into kids' diets, it does nothing to help them develop healthy eating habits. For kids going through a picky phase, sure, but the recipes don't feature a lot of veggies, and it's important, I think, to help kids learn to enjoy eating veggies - it'll help them get *more* nutrients than these recipes, and will set them up to be healthier in the long run.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#317859 - 11/02/07 09:00 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I was curious about this book, too, and it's on my Christmas wish list. I look forward to hearing how it works for you!

I agree about the purpose of the book being for kids... it doesn't help teach them to eat and enjoy their veggies, but I think the concept could be good for us...

#318255 - 11/09/07 07:58 AM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

I read something somewhere that you have to show childeren new foods ten times before they will accept it. Of course if you have childern who are really willfull it might take more time. I just give it to mine and they have to take one bite of everything. If they don't eat they will be hungry. I know this sounds mean but I'm not a short order cook. I heard someone call it a "no thank you bite." HA

And remember the saying Monkey see Monkey do.......

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#318271 - 11/09/07 12:13 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I just wanted to note that Jessica herself says that kids should still be exposed to the real thing (veggies) and not just have the foods "sneaked" into their foods. The idea is that by incorporating the veggies in our recipes, the pressure/guilt is taken off the parents of making sure their children get the right nutrients. In other words, instead of an unhappy dinner table where the parents are coaxing the kids to try their spinach, having the spinach already in the recipe relieves the parents and then allows them to less stressfully suggest to the kids that they give the real thing at try. I hope that makes sense. My kids are great veggie eaters, but there are some that they just dislike the taste of...ie., squash, cauliflower,...so I have been sneaking those foods in Jessica's recipes but I still expose them to the real thing too. Like everything else...especially with IBS and your tolerances...tweak to your needs. (I have done flax seed in the breadcrumbs but less amounts than called for just in case.) HTH

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1114 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1600

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review