All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
different artificial sweetners
      #317660 - 10/30/07 10:29 AM
chitchat1

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Michigan

Is there anyone who is ok with using one type of artificial sweetner and not ok with another kind? i.e no problems with Equal but Ok with Splenda? I love the naturally flavored sparkling water, it has no sodium but does have aspartame. I don't seem to be able to stomach any other kind of sweetner, some I get pain but usually i just get constipated. How do sweetners affect others? Thanks for any help!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: different artificial sweetners new
      #317678 - 10/30/07 04:02 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

I try to stay away from all of the artificial sweeteners. None are good for you and can cause unpleasant side effects. And Splenda is not as safe as it claims to be. If you want to use them, and seem to have no ill effects,no one can tell you otherwise. We all have our vices

#317683 - 10/30/07 04:46 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

Artificial sweeteners affect me terribly; gas, diarrhoea, pain, evilness. I hate them and stay away from them now, which isn't terribly difficult. That's my experience anyway!

#317685 - 10/30/07 04:53 PM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

Several months ago I used to drink a little crystal light which has artificial sweetner in it and i didnt think it bothered me. I decided to stop drinking it and then I noticed how much better I felt. I stay away from all artificial sugars.

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#317688 - 10/30/07 04:58 PM
Cast_Away

Reged: 08/15/07
Loc: Orlando, Florida

I'm IBS D and all the artif bother me. I usually get sick in the first 20 minutes after consuming if I miss it in the ingredients!! Especially sorbitol- it wil put me in a full attack! Aspartame usually is just a headache.

Virtual Hugs!

--------------------
IBS-D, with Coloitis from surgery

Isn't aspartame different? new
      #317709 - 10/31/07 11:17 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I was wondering about this myself. Sweeteners such as splenda or sorbitol aren't absorbed by our bodies and that's why they have zero calories. But that's also why they're trouble.
However, aspartame is absorbed (hence the warning about phenylketonuria). Well wouldn't that mean that it may affect us but not our GI tracts since there's nothing left of it in our GI tract?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Isn't aspartame different? new
      #317711 - 10/31/07 12:48 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There have been a couple of thousand research papers published on asparame. Nothing has been reported tying aspartame to IBS symptoms.

Heather says on this web page

There aren't any clear cut long-term studies on saccharine's or aspartame's effects on gastrointestinal health, but there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that they can cause digestive upsets, particularly if you're already susceptible to these problems.

The reports on the web about adverse affects of aspartame and IBS appear to be mostly self-reported or copied from other sources of questionable reliability. However, it never hurts to keep aspartame out of one's diet if one feels it may be having an negative impact on their IBS.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#317715 - 10/31/07 01:09 PM
Life.Is.Random

Reged: 03/06/06
Loc: NJ

I don't advise the use of artifical sweeteners, but I've found that Stevia, a natural herbal sweetener, is OK with me. Everyone'e different, so I can't say the same for everyone else.

--------------------
Tierney
IBS-C
www.StandardProcess.com[/url] = the home of REAL supplements

#317720 - 10/31/07 01:21 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

While Stevia may be ok I found out the hard way that some Stevia supplements such as the Life Brand in Canada contains inulin which can be problematic for IBSers particularly those that have a sensitivity to fructose.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Sugar is perfectly fine for IBS. Artificial sweeteners are TRIGGERS. AVOID. -nt- new
      #317796 - 11/01/07 07:14 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#317976 - 11/05/07 11:54 AM
chitchat1

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Michigan

Thanks for everyones advice. I did try the AS for a couple of days and got constipated, no pain just constipated. As soon as I stopped using them I was back to normal within two days. I am NOT going to use them ever again!! It's the real thing (sugar) or nothing for me.:-)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3044 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2886

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review