All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
The Dangers of Sugar!
      #317498 - 10/26/07 10:16 AM
maccrumbs

Reged: 10/23/07

Hey people. I was recently looking up information about sugar and I happened to stumble upon a article that lists the dangers of sugar. Please read it because it has vital information! I don't know how to attach the article to this post so I am going to simply give it to you all. Simply cut the url and paste it to your browser. Hope it helps!

http://www.mercola.com/article/sugar/dangers_of_sugar.htm

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The Dangers of Sugar! new
      #317508 - 10/26/07 01:31 PM
maccrumbs

Reged: 10/23/07

When you go grocery shopping, not ony should you check the fat content and the ingrediants, but also the how many grams of sugar it has in it. Just because something is low in fat, doesn't mean that it is low in sugar. Companies tend to take out a lot of one thing and add a lot of the other just for taste. Hope this information is helpful!

#317509 - 10/26/07 01:44 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

If you are concerned about sugar intake then you should definitely check the amount of sugar in products. However, sugar is not a problem for IBS under Heather's dietary guidelines.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#317518 - 10/26/07 05:23 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

I wish I could have read this, but my computer has decided to act up, my guess and others' guesses is the graphics card - random words on a webpage don't show up, so a full sentence might be truncated down to two words in the left-hand margin or a paragraph or a list might be broken up. So it was impossible to make heads or tails of that article. In fact, when reading the preview of my post, it's doing exactly the same thing, half my post is missing and it's all formatted funny. Depressing when your computer isn't working and it's like your lifeline and you're broke! :'( Thanks for sharing though!

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

#317560 - 10/27/07 02:25 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

But, how do you know for sure that sugar does NOT contribute to IBS symptoms after seeing all the effects it can have on one's body? And that is scientifically based...not one person's opinion. For me, sugar affects me terribly. I can always tell when I fall off the wagon. Everyone is different. I am affected. To say that sugar is not a problem for IBS (or any of our health issues) is misleading. Do what works for you. No one else can tell you what is "safe" to eat. If you aren't getting better, change something. For me it was eliminating sugar and grains for awhile.

Re: All about moderation new
      #317561 - 10/27/07 02:42 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

try to get your sugar from fruits sources and balance it out with fiber, vegetables and a lot of pure water

#317565 - 10/27/07 03:49 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I think what Sand is saying is that sugar is not a GI stimulant, not in the same way caffeine or high fat food is. Everyone is different and everyone needs to work out what is best for their body; however, there seems to be a lot of similarity in dietary triggers among IBSers and this is the basis of the EFI diet. This forum is for discussing Heather's Eating for IBS diet and she does not list sugar as an IBS trigger, but neither is she saying to eat nothing but sugar and junk food.

#317571 - 10/27/07 04:39 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

To say that sugar is not a problem for IBS (or any of our health issues) is misleading.

What I said was "sugar is not a problem for IBS under Heather's dietary guidelines".

As for "misleading": half-baked information being promulgated by people who make money by scaring us all about sugar, soy, canola oil, or whatever other bogeyman is selling like hotcakes this week - now that's misleading.

Quote:

But, how do you know for sure that sugar does NOT contribute to IBS symptoms after seeing all the effects it can have on one's body? And that is scientifically based...not one person's opinion.

If by "all the effects" and "scientifically based" you're referring to the list the original poster linked to, I would be extremely surprised to discover that mainstream medical science considers consumption of a *moderate* amount of sugar responsible for all the ills on Dr. Mercola's list. The intro paragraph to the list itself refers to "excess sugar", although - interestingly enough - most of the items in the list magically drop any reference to "excess". I'd love to know what level of sugar consumption the foot-noted articles were considering.

As for how I can "know for sure" sugar isn't a problem for IBS, that's an impossible question without some type of controlled study. And since - surprise, surprise - none of the footnotes in Dr. Mercola's site have hyperlinks, neither you nor I can evaluate what was really studied or how accurately it was studied.

(I can make some guesses though. Sugar problem number 71 says, "Sugar causes high blood pressure in obese people." and refers to footnote 106. Footnote 106 references an article entitled: "Pathogenesis of Hypertension in Diabetes Mellitus" and, son of a gun, if I Google:

Sugar causes high blood pressure in obese people

I find a lot of references to obese people, diabetes, high blood pressure, and "blood sugar". So I'd be very interested to know if the study examined high blood pressure as it relates to dietary sugar consumption or perhaps high blood pressure in people with high blood sugar. Maybe all would be revealed if I just bought Nancy Appleton's book.)

I do know sugar doesn't impact my IBS; you know sugar does impact yours. But to repeat myself, "sugar is not a problem for IBS under Heather's dietary guidelines". If someone wants to follow Heather's guidelines - presumably the reason they're on the Website - sugar is allowed. If someone doesn't improve on Heather's diet and wants to eliminate sugar and see how they do, fine. But I don't see any reason to try to convince people to restrict their diets more than necessary before they've even given Heather's approach a fair try.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#317572 - 10/27/07 05:26 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Sand- I agree with you...if Heather's guidelines work for you, then for heaven's sake, keep following it. I am speaking for those who are trying/tried Heather's diet, and found that it did not help. If you aren't getting well, then you may need to change. For me, that was reducing/eliminating sugar and grains. I still believe that sugar is not good for you. My opinion, but from all that I've researched on its effects, including that sugar actually feeds cancer cells, and cancer cells die in the absence of sugar, I try my best to avoid it, if I can. If you don't have a problem eating it, bon appetit!

#317600 - 10/28/07 04:42 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think sugar breaks down easily and so it isn't hard to digest or a trigger. But the more I learn about things the more concerned I am with sugar. (I don't think it causes alcoholism like it said on that list though! ) I am concerned with the feeding of yeast and bad bacteria through sugar and the way everyone on You Are What You Eat gets rid of their gas by avoiding sugar. I am reducing my sugar intake presently. Last year when I cut out sugar, gluten, chocolate and other misc. ingredients for 2 weeks I felt 100% better. I am attempting to curb my addiction to sugar now but find I do better going gradually than cold turkey. I am trying to save to get a stool test to see if my theory about yeast and bacteria is true. I guess I also feel that for those that Heather's diet does not work to the extent they want they have to look at other things- some may be GI, some may have a problem with fructose, and some maybe can't have other things like sugar. Since I follow Heather's diet very well (for 3.5 years) and still have excrutiating pain, bloating and gas I have to figure out what else is bothering me.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 436 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2179

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review