All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Obsession and Anxiety
      #317319 - 10/24/07 04:29 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

Do you all think that the reason IBS stays with many OR even starts is due to anxiety? And once the illness starts..is the obsession with the pains and diet actually causing it to become worse?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Obsession and Anxiety new
      #317324 - 10/24/07 05:09 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

YES and NO. I definitely think that anxiety plays an ENORMOUS role in exacerbating IBS or even triggering an uneasy stomach in a situation to start the beginnings of anxiety-driven IBS, yet there have been plenty of times that I can legitimately say I had NO ANXIETY/WORRIES (unless of course they were subconscious) and I still had food-related attacks while at home. So the best solution I have found is going on an A-D to calm my crazy IBS mind and following the diet to make my mind feel more at ease that a food-related attack is less likely to occur. I also did a round of hypno which must have helped at least a little to keep the IBS off my mind CONSTANTLY. I do think of it often, but SOOO much less often. Like anything else, there is no one royal answer. I truly believe you need to attack (so to speak) your IBS from all angles such as meds/hypno/yoga/diet/supplements, etc. I hope that helps.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#317332 - 10/24/07 06:44 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

For me my anxiety is definitely the culprit 99% of the time. That 1% usually is from something I shouldn't have eaten. For exsmple, this weekend, once again, I had Heather's Dill Salmon with Roasted Potatoes. I didn't have salmon, instead I had Whiting Fillet. I didn't peel the potatoes. I had this on Friday and then finished it off on Saturday. About 1/2 hour after eating on Saturday, I had D and I can attribute that from not peeling the potatoes (why it didn't happen on Friday when I first ate it is beyond me). Anyway, I was at home.

The 99% is from my anxiety. If I know I have to go to work or go shopping etc., I will only eat very small amounts of safe foods. If on a weeknight I eat a safe food item that I would normally eat on a weekend at home, I will stress my gut the following morning because I feel like I shouldn't have eaten (even though it's a safe food item) and I'll aggravate my gut to the point where I will get D--I'm IBS-C. Add to that the fact that I have to get on the subway for 1/2 hour to go to work and as soon as the train stops in the tunnel for god knows what reason, I go into super stress mode and the D cramps REALLY kick up then. God that sucks.

It sounds crazy I know, but I know how my head works, specially since the IBS. Tomorrow I'll be on Day 86 of the self hypnosis CDs and though I'm better than where I was before I started, I've not had the success that others have had. But I keep on keeping on!

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#317339 - 10/24/07 07:38 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

I truly believe that the reason I got IBS is because of my stress and anxiety. I've been under a lot of stress for the last couple of years and no wonder. Depression and stress cause lots of illnesses, I know that. I sure hope that mine won't get worse with time. I hear from some people that it gets better over the years. Take care.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#317340 - 10/24/07 07:42 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

I also read in a magazine, that if you don't express your anger and let it all bottle up inside, you are at risk of getting depressed and IBS. I am not surprised.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#317364 - 10/25/07 06:07 AM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

Ive been on a subtherapeutic dosage of prozac(for panic disorder) - ie 7mg , for years...perhaps thats why the IBS never really kicked in......since becoming IBS symptomatic 2 weeks ago, i increased the doage to 10mg(per doctors orders).....i find that im not obsessing as much about my stomach or bowel......eventhough Im not going daily, etc......pain is much much better.....only drawback is that I have increased panic/anxiety and dizziness/nausea since that always happens when you start or increase ssri type drugs(ie prozac) for some...hopefully i can stick with this (if side effects go away) and it will work for both ibs and panic, otherwise i will go back down to 7mg.....and have to figure something else out....i also started a probiotic and citrucel...SSRIs are worth a try for some....it might be the solution to get you over the hump and its not a life sentence of taking these meds either.....

#317543 - 10/27/07 08:21 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I think it can be both. I know that anxiety is one of my biggest triggers. But it can be all too easy to get wrapped up in IBS and watching what you eat and worrying about how you'll react. Be patient. As you figure out how your body reacts to different foods, life will be much smoother and your anxiety about IBS will likely lessen significantly.
If you're just starting out, just take your time, trying insolubles one at a time in small amounts and see how you do. Hopefully you will gain insight, and you will find what works best for you and your pain and anxiety will lessen.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10104 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1954

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review