All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
High carb- vs low- confused
      #317210 - 10/23/07 03:39 PM
pieta8

Reged: 05/10/06

I am wondering why certain diets for ibs recommend a lower carb. content than Heather's diet- this seems very high in carb- even though they are the right kind. Can someone explain that to me?????

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: High carb- vs low- confused new
      #317224 - 10/23/07 05:20 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The simple answer is that there are many different dietary approaches to IBS. I have to admit, though, that I'm not sure which "lower carb. content" diets you're referring to. Can you provide a few examples?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (10/23/07 05:21 PM)

#317228 - 10/23/07 06:51 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

If you suspect you have a yeast/fungal condition, then you will certainly want to follow a low carb diet...eliminate sugars, grains, yeast for awhile. Sometimes yeast overgrowth can cause/mimic(?) IBS symptoms. Does for me, anyway. I feel so much better when I moderate my intake of sugar and grains. However, some have been helped with Heather's diet, which as you pointed out, is quite different. If you are not helped by one, try the other. Change is the key.

#317243 - 10/24/07 06:40 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you look at most IBS diets prepared by knowledgeable GI docs you will see that carbs are considered the easiest for IBSers to handle. For example, see the diet that I posted in this message for IBS suffers that also have IBD (inflammatory bowel disease).

Can you give us a link to an IBS diet that is not high in carbs?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#317295 - 10/24/07 02:29 PM
pieta8

Reged: 05/10/06

hi Sand,
well the diet ( heather's diet)- as far as I am concerned is fairly high in carbs- eating a fair amt. of insoluble fiber w/ every meal is high in carbs- even if it is the good kind- brown rice, sweet potato, crackers that are the staple of this diet.

#317322 - 10/24/07 05:02 PM
Sand

Quote:

hi Sand,
well the diet ( heather's diet)- as far as I am concerned is fairly high in carbs- eating a fair amt. of insoluble fiber w/ every meal is high in carbs- even if it is the good kind- brown rice, sweet potato, crackers that are the staple of this diet.

Yes, Heather's Diet is designed to be high in carbs because it's designed to use Soluble fiber (*not* INsoluble fiber) as a base. Brown rice, sweet potatoes, a lot of crackers are all soluble fiber foods.

So I don't disagree with you that Heather's Diet could be considered high carb. My question was which IBS diets *don't* emphasize carbs of some kind. As Syl says, most reputable IBS diets recommend eatings lots of fiber and that usually translates to lots of carbs.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#317344 - 10/24/07 08:21 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I think this diet seems a bit higher in carbs than it really is. In Heather's book there are foods that we can have but it doesn't mean that we have to eat them all the time. It takes different amounts of SF for every one of us to "buffer" our stomachs. I found that as long as the main course (meat or whatever) is low in fat, no dairy, etc., I don't have to eat as much rice to be able to tolerate it.
Also, the diet suggests sweet breads and treats as snacks. Sure, since they're sweet the sugar definitely ads to the carb content. But I can just as well have a piece of toast with sliced avocado which I don't think it's a high-carb snack.
What I'm trying to say is that while this is not a low-carb diet I think everyone can tweak it according to their own needs and tastes (at least a little bit).

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Well put, Zara. -nt- new
      #317374 - 10/25/07 08:23 AM
Sand

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1091 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1148

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review