All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Successful day
      #316746 - 10/16/07 10:55 AM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

Here's what I ate yesterday and was pain free all day (not every day I can eat fruits with skins and wheat, mostly when I'm stable):

7:15am-wheaties cereal w/raisins, banana and soy milk
daily vitamins-iron free, calcium supplement, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin A

9am-hot water

10am-oatmeal with soy yogurt

12:15pm-veggie soup (carrots, potato, green beans) with 2 slices of white toast, topped with tofu cream cheese

2:30pm-small organic apple with skin

4pm-banana

5:45pm-oatmeal with 2 wheat toasts topped with smart balance butter substitute;
homemade lemon tea, 2 squares of 70% cocoa chocolate (dairy free)

evening snack: 1 slice of apple/spice toast
cool whip with ginger cookies

right before bed: 1 pear with skin

Result: 3 BM's today. I am IBS-C so any BM's are very welcome.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Successful day new
      #316747 - 10/16/07 11:00 AM
haleym

Reged: 10/07/07

IM SOO JEALOUS

To HaleyM new
      #316749 - 10/16/07 11:33 AM
TATYANA

I'm sorry to hear that...What are you eating?

--------------------

#316750 - 10/16/07 11:34 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yum! The Cool Whip with ginger cookies sounds delicious.

I hope you have many more successful days!

#316751 - 10/16/07 11:37 AM
haleym

Regular Cool whip?

Re: To HaleyM new
      #316753 - 10/16/07 11:38 AM
haleym

i posted something that reads: to tatyana

#316755 - 10/16/07 11:43 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I think regular Cool Whip is okay for most IBSers. It does contain sodium caseinate (from milk), but that's not necessarily a trigger for everyone. If you do okay with almond cheese or soy cheese (the brands that contain casein), you'll probably be okay with Regular Cool Whip. There's also a dairy-free whipped topping (can't remember the brand name) that you can find in most health food stores.

#316758 - 10/16/07 11:51 AM
haleym

thanks so much!!!

ice-cream sandwiches new
      #316766 - 10/16/07 12:39 PM
TATYANA

Thanks, Maria. I keep the cool whip in the freezer and then make "ice-cream sandwiches". I take a spoon full of frozen whip cream (which is still soft) and put 2 cookies around it. It's so good!!!

--------------------

#316767 - 10/16/07 12:52 PM
haleym

Hello
thanks for your sample eating plan...I just thought I would ask your opinion since I know you understand my pain of bad C. SO i havent had a BM in a few days and Im really wondering why, I feel like Im doing things right but maybe not..can you take a look and maybe make some suggestions....

Sunday
Breakfast: eggwhites and a wheatfree (white flour) waffle- mom took me and my hubby out for breakfast and I asked

Lunch: Some baked lays- was in the car for 4 hours coming home from moms
Dinner: Wildrice first, grilled chicken, mushrooms and a little side salad with Fat free dressing that I ate at the end
Snack: Rice Ice cream- wow it was good

Monday:
Corn Pops mixed with wholegrain golden flax cereal with rice milk

Snack:old fashion oatmeal made with water and cinnamin

Lunch:Left overs of wildrice and grilled chicken

Snack: All natural PB with celery
Dinner: Chili made with kidney beans, pinto beans, ground turkey, celery, tomato sauce and seasonings
wheatfree cornbread with smartbalence light butter

I have tried to eliminate all wheat and dairy to see if thats what is stopping me up. I have also added heathers fiber but only 1/2 teaspoon twice a day, I still take aloe(laxative) as I am trying to make a smooth transition off and onto heathers fiber

I am drink a TON of water

do you see anything I need to change to maybe help the pain and C????

#316771 - 10/16/07 02:18 PM
TATYANA

The 1st thing I see is chilli. Chilli gives me lots of pain because of the beans and chilli powder. I would take it easy on that. When I take Heather's fiber, I take 1 table spoon at a time; don't be afraid of it, it won't hurt.

Be well.
T.

--------------------

#316772 - 10/16/07 02:27 PM
haleym

ok. i just know it says to increase gradually so I didnt want to over do it and have tons of gas...
the chili didnt bother me, i actually didnt even have gas- crazy
but if you think that is what could be stopping me up I will eliminate that

To HaleyM (My tips for constipation) new
      #316773 - 10/16/07 02:53 PM
TATYANA

Dearest HaleyM

• Do you take vitamins? Iron and calcium constipate. You can buy iron free daily vitamins for 4 bucks on sale, at Safeway.
• Do you take magnesium supplement? It's a vitamin and all natural. It has a laxative effect. 2 capsules before bedtime guarantees gentle relief
• I didn't see much fruit in your diet. Bananas help me "go" and they contain soluble fiber. Also pears, but they're more risky. If I eat 2 before bed time, I will get "lucky" in the morning.
• "Plumsmart" plum juice helps. It's not tough like prune juice, it's more gentle. You can find it at Safeway.

I strongly recommend magnesium. I was severely constipated for 6 months until my friend suggested magnesium. For the 1st time I woke up and had a gentle relief. I was in 3rd heaven!

Be well.
Tatyana.

P.S. Some foods effect me 2 or 3 days after I eat. So, just because you didn't get sick after meal, doesn't mean that you won't feel it later.

--------------------

#316787 - 10/16/07 06:13 PM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

Relieving constipation with a change in diet is not going to be immediate. It takes time for your body to adust and realize that you are not eating things that your body cant handle. When I first started this diet I was still in pain and having tons of gas. I couldnt figure it out because I was doing everything I was supposed to and eating so much less.

After completely cutting out dairy and most fruit becaue I am sensitive to frutose, one day I started to feel better. Each week I added on a few more hours that I didnt have as much pain and little by little the hours went to days. I started taking fiber which helped and what really made a different was a stool softner. With eating the right foods and taking miralax each morning it helped to push out a BM. It was a lot looser than I imagined but It was coming out and i was feeling better.

I have been on this diet since april and have never felt this good. I still have gas, not near as bad as before, and I am even becoming more comfortable with going out to eat as long a I pay close attention to what I am ordering.

Even after all this I knew I still was a little constipated so my doctor put me on a pill called amitiza (ony once a day, i couldnt handle the usual 2 per day) but It is helping me go to the bathroom soo much easier. My stomach still extends a little at night; although it is so much less than i have ever remembered.

Start off with the break the cycle diet for only a few days and little by little add things back in, one at a time so you can figure out what is affecting you. i would make sure to peel and take the seeds out of both vegetables and fruit and maybe limit gas forming products such as beans or broccoli, etc...Make sure to eat enough SF during a meal to help digest vegetables, etc. For those with IBS-C it is important to eat enough IF to help move things through. I am now able to keep the skin on my potatos, eat tomoato and spinach regularly .

Hang in there. It takes time. Keep your stress level down and try not to worry yourself. You can do this and eventually you will see improvement. I hope this helps!

Abby

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#316799 - 10/16/07 09:01 PM
haleym

Thanks so much for the post. Yeah I am VERY discouraged. I have gained about 5 lbs and feel soo backed up( havent gone in 4 days)

Today I called my mom and husband crying and told them that this diet is just not right for me. My clothes are so tight and I am very bloated and gassy....

i am trying to be patient but the weight gain is not making me want to stick to this....
i used to eat, wheatbread with PB for breakfast and coffee, a chicken salad for lunch, maybe nuts or a protein bar for snack and veggies and chicken for dinner and taking aloe. I was going every other day but was still gassy. But I wasnt gaining by the day and not going 4-5 days with no bms.... feel like i should just go back and keep taking heathers fiber. maybe thats better for me.

Re: To HaleyM (My tips for constipation) new
      #316800 - 10/16/07 09:03 PM
haleym

thanks for the suggestions.....
tonight i got really desperate b/c i was feeling so backed up so I had a huge all romaine salad with chicken when I got home from the gym and an hour later i was able to BM. I dont understand why I have to eliminate everything that makes me go.....coffee, salad etc

#316803 - 10/17/07 01:59 AM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

Now what you used to eat, why dont you continue to eat it but just adjust it a little. I eat tons of pb. Some people are affected by whole wheat and others arent. You can try to eat penut butter on rye bread or italian bread and thn you can always do half and half if you feel that you can handle the wheat. As for chicken salad you can use fat free mayo or try mustard or fat free salad dressing, but continue to eat the chicken. I eat a protein bar every day. I eat Luna and they are super yummy! Veggies and chicken for dinner sounds fantastic, just make sure your veggies are cooked. Trust me it gets easier. There were many time in the begining that I was soo frustrated, but once your body adjusts it isnt as hard. Hang in there and if you have any questions I will try to help!

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#316805 - 10/17/07 02:52 AM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

Hi Haley,

I can't remember from your other posts - have you been diagnosed as IBS-C by a physician?

Would you say that your main problem before starting on the diet was gas? And in this post you suggest just going back to no-carb eating but with Heather's fibre - so does the SFS help with the gas?

If so, I mean, if the gas was the problem - you say in this post that you were having BMs every other day - and if the acacia helps with the gas.. I don't know, but you seem so miserable on the diet, so worried about the carbs and apparent weight gain, if for you personally the diet you followed before was working, if it wasn't causing all this stress and misery but only gas, and if this is alleviated by the acacia... the awfulness that you are feeling surely can't be helping, you need to find some way to come to terms with how you're eating.

Were you diagnosed with IBS? I had a quick (quick) look back at your first couple of posts and can't see any info on your diagnosis.

It's just so awful that you feel so badly with a diet that is genuinely, genuinely a healthy one, and it seems your stress about eating things you are convinced are bad for you could have something to do with the way your body is fighting it. What do you think??

Jodie

#316816 - 10/17/07 10:03 AM
nikjones1977

Reged: 10/15/07

Yay, go you! That's great news. I haven't been able to touch fruit or much fibre for a while, so go you!!!

to Jodie new
      #316819 - 10/17/07 10:51 AM
haleym

Yeah I was diagnosed about 6 years ago. Yes my main problem is that I get gas after everything I eat and my secondary problem is constipation. the way i was eating (coffee, ezikiel bread w/ pb, salad with chicken on all romaine, and then veggies and chicken for dinner, and taking 2 aloe pills)) was helping the constipation( i was able to have a BM every other day)but sometimes as you know if i didnt get enough sleep or I was stressed or ate something not listed I would be backed up for 3-4 days and then all of sudden have D. So far it does seem like my body is not happy with this way of eating as I have become more constiapted and have gained weight. But what Im going to do is just try one thing at a time instead of going from 0 to 100 as far as going from little carbs(usually only at breakfast) to a diet loaded with process ones. So ill begin to add the fiber and more SF veggies but thats about all I am going to do for right now. Maybe I can start eliminating the coffee and get off the aloe if the fiber starts to work for me. I think i just need to go back to my eating b4 and try little things. Cutting out dairy ( used to have cheese on my veggies sometimes, and sugarfree fudgsicles for dessert a lot), adding the fiber and maybe adding more SF veggies to my salad and dinner.....we'll see

to abby new
      #316821 - 10/17/07 11:05 AM
haleym

my main problem is/ and was b4 this diet is that I get gas after everything I eat and my secondary problem is constipation.

the way i was eating (coffee, ezikiel bread w/ pb, salad with chicken on all romaine, and then veggies and chicken for dinner, and taking 2 aloe pills)) was helping the constipation( i was able to have a BM every other day)but sometimes as you know if i didnt get enough sleep or I was stressed or ate something not different I would be backed up for 3-4 days and then all of sudden have D. and i have gas after every meal that is VERY bad if I havent had a BM that day

So far it does seem like my body is not happy with this way of eating as I have become more constiapted and have gained weight. But what Im going to do is just try one thing at a time instead of going from 0 to 100 as far as going from little carbs(usually only at breakfast) to a diet loaded with process ones. So ill begin to add heathers fiber and more SF veggies but thats about all I am going to do for right now. Maybe I can start eliminating the coffee and get off the aloe once the fiber starts to work for me. I think i just need to go back to my eating b4 and try little things. Cutting out dairy ( used to have cheese on my veggies sometimes, and sugarfree fudgsicles(milk) for dessert a lot- only 40 cals and 4 carbs ), adding the fiber and adding more SF veggies to my salad and dinner is the plan....thank you soooo much for your replys they really have helped me to calm down and take it one day at a time....i think you had said that you were doing low carb b4 you started this(maybe im wrong) can you maybe send me a sample day of eating to kinda ease into this.....thanks again

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 199 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5646

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review