All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
trying to get rid of really awful bloating and super stinky gas
      #316494 - 10/11/07 07:53 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

For a couple weeks now my gas has been horrendous and a strange smell too. And my stool often has the same smell. I started on a probiotic today and am going off sugar in the next few days because I think I have some excess bacteria from sugar, etc. The smell really leads me to believe this. I am hoping to do a stool test if insurance will pay for it and then I can find out if something is obvious there. I am pretty debilitated with all this and can hardly be around myself. Hopefully this elimination and probitotics will work. I will post my results.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

on the same note...what causes the "smelly" gas? new
      #316495 - 10/11/07 08:05 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

You mention sugar possibly causing the smelly gas. At times I get gas out of nowhere too and I try to track back to what I've eaten but it seems illogical. I'm so embarrassed by the foul smell too. Sometimes I want to cancel social engagments just because of it.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: trying to get rid of really awful bloating and super stinky gas new
      #316496 - 10/11/07 08:32 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

That's interesting - I always notice evil smells when I've had dried fruit and I've never though perhaps it's due to the concentrated sugar hit. Where do you think you get too much sugar from, i.e. what sorts of foods are you cutting? (I mean... apart from.. sugar ) I'd be interested to know where the hidden culprits might be.

good luck in the meantime,
Jodie

#316513 - 10/12/07 08:41 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

I also get really bad gas that makes it hugely embarrassing for me to be around anyone. Even my husband can't bare it sometimes. Last Sunday i had to go out of church in the middle of prayer because it was building up in my stomach and getting really painful because i didn't want to let it out as it smellt so horrific! Sorry about the details. I've always thought that with me it's related to having too much sugar- in the form of dried fruit, fruit, jams and marmalades, honey, fruit juice, certain cereal bars. I've never known how to test my theory though. Good luck. Hope you get some answers.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

for welshsarah new
      #316516 - 10/12/07 08:52 AM
haleym

Reged: 10/07/07

Every one of my friends know that I have to sit on the end of the aisle at church or the movie theaters...they think its cause I might get bad pains, not that its actually gas (cause its embarrassing to tell anyone but my hubby) BUt I can totally relate. And then I get sooo worried that Im gonna have it at church, or in a meeting that I get anxiety and I feel like I cause myself to have it from stressing about it..... its so miserable....know how you feel

Re: for welshsarah new
      #316521 - 10/12/07 09:09 AM
welshsarah

It sucks doesn't it! So know what you mean. I get stressed as well. If i let one slip out by accident my hubby just ignores it (thank goodness) but my friend makes a really big deal out of it which makes me just want to die!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#316530 - 10/12/07 10:10 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Quote:

I've always thought that with me it's related to having too much sugar- in the form of dried fruit, fruit, jams and marmalades, honey, fruit juice, certain cereal bars. I've never known how to test my theory though.

Is is well established that some people with IBS have difficulties with the sugar fructose. Many of the foods you listed are not tolerated well by individuals with this problem. You can read about this sugar, IBS and fructose malabsorption in this article and this web page. There is a list of favourable and unfavourable foods for people that have difficulties with fructose in this posting

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#316576 - 10/12/07 03:28 PM
welshsarah

That's great. Many thanks Syl, much appreciated

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#316577 - 10/12/07 03:34 PM
welshsarah

Oh my word Syl, i've just read the links about fructose and they all make so much sense! It all fits! Plus, interesting that frcutose problems can be linked with wheat problems! Thanks again.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Syl new
      #316581 - 10/12/07 05:05 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Is it possible to get a reaction to eating too much sugar even if one tested negative for fructose malabsorption? I seem to have the symptoms but my tests didn't show anything...

Also, taken from this link you provided sucrose has 50% of fructose. Isn't sucrose plain old table sugar? Does that mean that plain sugar is high in sucrose and thus may not be safe?
I posted here a while ago how I got really sick from eating too many Smarties (US version). They're pure sucrose plus colorings.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Edited by Zara (10/12/07 05:15 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1057 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11728

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review