All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
I don't know what to do
      #316441 - 10/11/07 11:42 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

So I had another appointment with gastro. I should also mention that I had all possible tests done in the past to exclude any other serious condition. I told him about the diet and how I thought giving up dairy actually helped me with C a bit. I don't think he really believed this (he seems to be very result-oriented: I tested negative for lactose intolerance, hence I should have no reason not to eat dairy). Well, after I told him about this he suggested I try Activia yogurt to see if my bloating and pain get better! Like I haven't tried that - I used to eat Activia like nothing else prior to giving up dairy! So no thanks .
Anyway, although I tested negative for parasites he decided to put me on Flagyl to see if I get better. When I asked why do that since my tests were negative he said that basically lets treat me as if they were positive. Well, isn't that the main reason to do these tests - so that we don't have to assume? I really don't know what to do about this Flagyl - I did a search but I couldn't really find any relevant information. Some people said they took it but all seemed to have different reasons (mine are bloating, pain, and a negative test). Anyone here got better (or knows someone) on Flagyl? Did the symptoms come back? I really don't know what to do. I am hesitant to take yet another antibiotic (I had 2 sinus infections this year so had to take ATBs for that) since I don't want to mess up all my good flora again.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I don't know what to do new
      #316452 - 10/11/07 01:27 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Maybe it's time for another GI Doc? Or, since he wants to assume that your tests were positive and put you on Flagyl, go back to him and tell him that you want to assume that he cares about what you're saying and point him to this website. I'd love to get paid what these guys get paid just to assume.

Try going to www.askapatient.com and see what others reactions were to the Flagyl and why they were taking it. I don't know, I wouldn't take it because your tests were negative. Maybe someone else can give you better input than what I'm giving.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#316455 - 10/11/07 01:54 PM

Unregistered

I agree, maybe it's time to look for another doctor. Antibiotics can really wreak havoc on your belly! I have taken Flagyl plenty of times but for BV infections, nasty stuff really. If you do end up taking it, do not drink while on it, just in case you ever indulge

SIBO new
      #316456 - 10/11/07 02:02 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

A percentage of the IBS population exhbits small intestinal bacterial overgrowth ( SIBO ). A standard diagnostic technique for determining if you have SIBO has not been established. Flagyl (metronidazole) is one of the drugs that are used to kill the bacteria responsible of SIBO. Some GI docs think that one method for determining if you have SIBO is to get you to take a course of special antibiotics to see if your IBS symptoms improve.

Did your GI doc talk you about SIBO?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: SIBO new
      #316458 - 10/11/07 02:31 PM
Zara

Wendy - thanks a lot for the website! I'll look at what others have to say. I actually thought about finding a different doc but then I figured I didn't feel like going through all those test again. It's very time consuming and even though I have insurance those copays still add up ! I'm glad to know that it's nothing more serious than IBS (such as cancer, some sort of intestinal damage, etc.) but I feel that it's so hard to find a medical doctor who's willing to treat this syndrome through diet rather than prescribing pills to relieve the symptoms. I mean I'm sure there are docs like that but they seem to be pretty rare

jhuggs - exactly, I asked if it's not too many ATBs for my belly but was told that no since they're all different

Syl - I didn't mention this in my original post but I was tested for SIBO earlier this summer - came back negative. So I don't really see a reason why I should take this ATB...

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#316460 - 10/11/07 02:55 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

"so hard to find a medical doctor who's willing to treat this syndrome through diet rather than prescribing pills to relieve the symptoms. I mean I'm sure there are docs like that but they seem to be pretty rare"

Have you considered seeing a Naturopath? I just started seeing one, and it's the first time I have a doctor who is telling me it's not normal to live with these symptoms and that we have to do everything we can to figure out a good treatment for me. Worst case scenario from seeing a Naturopath would be trying something different, and learning about healthy foods (that will also fit into your diet for IBS).

I started going to mine after a round of useless antibiotics prescribed for a non-existent urinary tract infection. I too was getting frustrated with doctors looking me over and shoving drugs at me without trying to get to the bottom of things.

--------------------
Kat

#316461 - 10/11/07 02:55 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

If you only had one stool sample checked for parasites, that may not be enough. Quest - a really big testing lab - says it takes at least 3 negative stool samples to rule out parasites. So your doctor's thinking may be that even though no parasites showed up, your symptoms seem to match up so he wants to assume the test may have missed them and wants to go ahead and treat for them. I'm not saying that's necessarily a good idea - you could always get additional tests - but it may be what he's thinking in which case he's not a total flake.

If you're uncertain about the treatment, I would definitely at least get a second opinion. If your doctor really, truly believes there's a good chance you have parasites, though, I wouldn't just ignore it. So I think you need to find out if he seriously believes you have parasites or is just floundering around trying things.

If you decide to see another doctor - either for a second opinion or permanently - you shouldn't have to repeat all the tests you've already had. Just get your existing records sent to the new doc.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#316471 - 10/11/07 03:30 PM
Syl

Unfortunately, the breath test for SIBO is known to have a high incidence of false negatives. Perhaps he is trying an alternative approach to diagnosis

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#316475 - 10/11/07 04:10 PM
Zara

I have considered seeing a naturopath but never actually found one. Does anyone know how much they are here in the US?

The thing is, my doctor didn't look like he really thought I had parasites, it was more like "well lets try this". So I don't know, maybe he's just got bad interpersonal skills. The other thing that I forgot to mention was that he said that he would also put me on an antidepressant (even though I do not suffer from depression) to raise my threshold of pain. I thought that was really weird too - I definitely don't want him to mess up with my head. He did say that sometimes antidepressants are used with diabetic patients but that's not my case! That's why I'm skeptical that he's just trying to feed me pills .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

low dose AD new
      #316476 - 10/11/07 04:53 PM
Syl

The use of low dose antidepressant to help with IBS pain is quite common. Heather discusses on this web page. There is also a discuss about thier use on this web page

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 436 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 38353

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review