All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Gluten Sensitivity Question
      #316428 - 10/11/07 08:58 AM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

Hello- I just got the results back from a stool test for Anti-gluten antibodies - it came back elevated. Before getting the results I tried to stay on a gluten free diet for a week and it wrecked havoc on my system. I was extremely constipated and felt like killing myself. I find that having wheat in my diet is the only thing that helps me stay regular and as soon as I remove it It messes up my system. what am I supposed to do now? i'd appreciate some help

thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gluten Sensitivity Question new
      #316429 - 10/11/07 09:00 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Was the test done by your doctor through a medical lab OR was it done through one of the Internet based companies?

If it was done by your doctor what did s/he suggest?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#316457 - 10/11/07 02:08 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I had the blood work done....the celiac panel, by a medical doctor. I tested positive on 2 of the tests and negative on the one most specific for celiac.

I went to one of the best celiac centers at a very prestigous hospital and the doctor, who specializes in gluten sensitivity and celiac, told me that there is no way that a stool test can accurately test for gluten intolerance. Furthermore, she said that even if you test positive for gluten antibodies, if the biopsy is normal, there is no reason to eat GF. I felt like you when I ate GF for 2 years. I never felt better...but became more constipated, still have pain, gas and bloat.

You don't have to take this....as I know it's hard to forget the test results...but she is a leading researcher in this area and this is what she says the stool test is not respected by any of the celiac doctors she has ever known.

BTW, I don't know one person who has had the stool test done who didn't test positive for gluten antibodies. Coincidence? I wish we knew if this was really a valid test. I know some swear by it....but it's hard to argue with the experts.

I say, listen to your body. It's telling you it does better with wheat. Or, stay GF for a long time (at least 6 months) to see if your body just needs to get used to the GF diet.

Keep us updated, okay?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#316466 - 10/11/07 03:17 PM
jenny833

Thanks jordy! Did u have a biopsy done? What was the outcome of everything? i may try the diet for a few months and see what happens.

GI symptoms new
      #316487 - 10/11/07 07:31 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Aren't you supposed to eat gluten before the test to have something for it to find? Also we need to have some discussion about GI symptoms. I never really suspected I had Celiacs because I have always heard D and weight loss were symptoms- not so much bloating and gas. I wished I just had Celiacs and could be GF and have no symptoms. But I just wonder if generally people have IBS only and we have too much talk about specific intolerances. Any thoughts?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: GI symptoms new
      #316523 - 10/12/07 09:19 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hi there, i thought the same- that you have to eat gluten regularly for a minimum of 6 weeks in order to truly tell if you have coeliacs. Regarding symptoms of the disease i thought the any IBS symptoms could actually point to coeliacs rather than IBS. I got my information from here:

http://www.coeliac.co.uk/coeliac_disease/default.asp

Plus, there's loads more info if you search the site.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Jenny new
      #320649 - 12/14/07 04:46 AM
Jordy

Jenny, did you ever try the GF diet? Did you eventually find help with it...or did you stay constipated?

Are you still taking the acacia? I was just wondering how you have become better (except for your change in routine now). Are you taking any supplements?

Thanks!

--------------------

#320652 - 12/14/07 05:28 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Quote:

BTW, I don't know one person who has had the stool test done who didn't test positive for gluten antibodies. Coincidence? I wish we knew if this was really a valid test. I know some swear by it....but it's hard to argue with the experts.

I read on the Enterolab website that up to 60% Americans have celiac gene. However, this doesn't mean that they all develop the disease. It just means that they have a predisposition.
I agree with Jordy. You know your body so eat whatever makes you feel better.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: hi jordy new
      #320653 - 12/14/07 05:42 AM
jenny833

yep ive been gluten free for 2 months - ive been taking Biogest enzymes, glutamine and acacia every morning before breakfast and also cut out eggs and soy and of course dairy - my stools have bulked up a bit and i am now going every am for the most part but I still sometimes have to strain. im hoping in time it will get even better but for now its a relief just to be able to pass decent size stools. thanks for checkin in

Re: hi jenny new
      #320657 - 12/14/07 06:12 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

Could you us a idea of your daily diet? Thanks and glad to hear your feeling better:)

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

Re: Sure new
      #320659 - 12/14/07 06:26 AM
jenny833

right now i'm keeping it simple and trying to avoid all foods that i am allergic to according to by blood test. For carbs I eat white and brown rice, quinoa, millet, gluten free cornbread, rice cereal w/ rice milk, sweet potatoes and red potatoes. for vegetables i eat green beans, spinach, squahsh, zucchini, tomatoes, avocados. for protein i eat turkey, chicken and salmon. I don't season with anything other than salt and olive oil. ive pretty much been stickin to this every day for 2 months and must say that i feel much better. I dont feel bloated and fatigues and the Biogest is a great enzyme supplement. hope that helps

#320661 - 12/14/07 06:30 AM
Jordy

So, the constipation from the GF diet went away? I'm really surprised you stuck it out. You were so constipated without your wheat. How long did it take for you to become regular? I'm still so C with GF diet. Were you mainly D or C before the GF diet?

Do you eat any fruits? And what brand cornbread do you eat? Have you tried Glutino? That one is pretty good.

Is biogest a digestive enzyme?

How much Acacia are you up to now?

So happy for your "relief"!

--------------------

#320670 - 12/14/07 06:54 AM
jenny833

hey jordy-

Yeah its took a few weeks but eventually the C went away - my doc told me the body goes into defense mode when you remove something that it becomes used to which explains the C.

You should try biogest and stick with the acacia. right now im still at 1/2 a teaspoon in the am because if i take more i bloat up really badly at the end of the day and never have a 2nd BM so i have to spend the whole night like that- i hope i can eventually increase it.

Biogest is a digestive enzyme and the only one that hasnt upset my stomach...i actually split the caps in half and that does works fine for me.

do u have celiacs or just a gluten sensitivity? how long have u been GF? it does take a while and everyone is different. you might also wanna take peppermint caps in the am before breakfast. have you gotten tested for allergies? you might be reacting to something else as well which might be preventing your C from getting better.

to jordy and jenny new
      #320672 - 12/14/07 06:55 AM
welshsarah

Aren't you getting bored of the diet at all? I'm following Heather's diet and eating mostly gluten free but do occasionally have some rye which is only wheat free. I am so bored of eating the same things and feel incredibly limited.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: to jordy and jenny new
      #320677 - 12/14/07 07:56 AM
Jordy

YES! I am bored, bored, bored. I guess I just don't rotate my diet enough...and I am really afraid of many veggies and fruits, corn based products, soy.... So, add that onto the EFI and the GF diet.

If you get inspirations or ideas, please share!

Hey Sarah, do you take any supplements? Like an SFS?

--------------------

#320678 - 12/14/07 08:00 AM
Jordy

So, you only take 1/2 tsp Acacia total for the day?

Do you eat any fruits?

And where do you find your brand digestive enzyme?

I do not have celiac. I tested neg on biopsy and I don't have the gene either. I have never been tested for allergies. Do you mean tests from a MD or something like enterolab or York? I've been GF for quite a while now. Seems like forever!
Thanks so much for your help.

--------------------

#320682 - 12/14/07 08:07 AM
welshsarah

Glad i'm not the only one! I'm avoiding most fruit and some veg and all beans because whenever i eat them i get the most offensive gas i'm embarrassed- even in front of my husband!

The only supplements i take is one probiotic pill with my evening meal. I have BMs without SFS. The only thing that affects my C apart from the dietary stuff is change in routine and stress.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#320685 - 12/14/07 08:11 AM
Jordy

Now beans, I will eat...go figure! I puree baked beans or lentils or use hummus. I always take some Gas Stop with them. Really help me "go" when I need to!

Have you ever tried an SFS? I hate them!

--------------------

#320686 - 12/14/07 08:20 AM
welshsarah

we don't have any gas stop products over here in the UK. They would be ideal!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: to jordy and sarah new
      #320691 - 12/14/07 09:02 AM
Jordy

With the IBS diet and the GF diet, how do you manage going out to lunch with a friend? Or celebrating the holidays? Or just stopping in to see your grandma for dinner together?

I'm getting really depressed and sad at the thought of not ever being able to just eat. People in my life just don't understand.

--------------------

Re: to jordy new
      #320695 - 12/14/07 09:20 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

I know the same feeling. But my family is usally pretty good. I think its best to go for chinese or Japanese or a diner. This way you can get steamed chicken or shrimp with veggies, sushi, or at a dinner alot of plain choices with a baked potato.

Hello what about company lunches, parties, ect we are going to a fancy Italian restaurant with serves family style looaded with Garlic,oil and fried with cheese. So after seeing the menu I almosy cried at my desk. I finally went to talk to the exec secretary and my mom. For moral support. I wounded up calling the place to have them make me a "special" dish with pasta grilled chicken with white wine and light on the oil. Well we will see.. she insisted on putting broccoli in it but I SAID NO WAY. That would kill me.. I just have having to always stand out at a Co party. And you would think since they would care.. right

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

#320696 - 12/14/07 09:46 AM
jenny833

yeah just 1/2 a teaspoon right now

I eat pears mostly and sometimes will make a smoothie in the am with papaya, apricot juice and strawberries

Biogest is made by Thorne Research- I get it from my doc but im sure u can buy it on the web

so no celiac but are u gluten sensitive? there's a difference. i had a stool test done my enterolabs and also had a complete workup performed by Diagnos Techs

To everyone + why is dairy a trigger? new
      #320697 - 12/14/07 09:47 AM
Zara

Jenny and Sarah, I'm also afraid of fruits right now! I've been really good for the past week yet I was still so bloated! So I also reduced the amount of fruit (I already pretty much ditched sugar in other forms). I still get bloated but at least now I wake up with a semi-flat stomach (not that it lasts for too long). I'm afraid that I'm just becoming paranoid (as discussed in the "fructose scare" thread).

Debs, I hear you! Co parties, lunches...I'm always the odd one with this weird diet! Sometimes I try to explain it to people but I think that even makes it worse. I'm not sure myself what I can/cannot eat. For example, I explain about wheat but then I'm really starved and a handful of plain pretzels seems like the lesser evil. However, people must think I'm nuts, talking about no wheat yet eating like 5 pretzels .

And there is one more think that I can't get outta my head. 1 1/2 years ago I felt pretty good throughout the Summer - I ate no wheat, watched my sugar intake but I DID EAT DAIRY! And I didn't start feeling worse until the fall when I started adding GF junk food (because I missed it). So I keep thinking, what if I can tolerate dairy? I know, it's a trigger according to the EFI diet but we all have different triggers, right? I miss it so much! Does anyone know why exactly it's on the trigger list? I know Heather says it's the heavy proteins but where would that put meat (chicken, fish, etc.)? What exactly does dairy cause in the body of a C person? Is it bloating? I tested negative for lactose intolerance so the way I understand it I shouldn't have any undigested diary to cause bloating. Or does it contribute to C?
Oh, and I'm talking about "pure" dairy - plain, with no sugar/additives in it.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: to jordy and sarah new
      #320706 - 12/14/07 02:28 PM
welshsarah

To be honest, when i'm out with friends etc. i don't stick to it- i just avoid wheat and dairy and that's it. I don't seem to have any difficulties with that to be honest. I figure my mental wellbeing will be greater if i'm social and able to enjoy myself and have to suffer a little bit for a day or two after than avoiding important events altogether.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: To everyone + why is dairy a trigger? new
      #320707 - 12/14/07 02:32 PM
welshsarah

Oh my gosh Zara, i feel the same! I keep wondering if i am actually intolerant to dairy as i can have milk chocolate every night and am fine as long as i don't eat gluten. I'm so tempted to try dairy properly again. I don't follow the EFI diet when i'm out- i just avoid gluten and dairy. If you do try dairy let me know how it goes. I'm planning to try it out in the New Year so i'll keep you posted.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

To Sarah new
      #320710 - 12/14/07 02:55 PM
Zara

Oh Sarah, I'm so glad I'm not the only one . I actually did have a piece of cheese and about 2T of cottage cheese today. So far I don't feel any worse then I normally do. But I guess I would really need to eat dairy on regular basis to see true results. I'm still far from what I consider stable - I do have BMs, although not as much as I'd like to but I'm still bloated and get cramps. So I guess I will also need to wait before I give dairy a proper try. Right now I'm more or less avoiding wheat and trying to watch my sugar intake (I have one homemade cookie every night and I'm not eating as much fruit as I did before). So when I get better (hopefully soon ) I will experiment

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

dairy new
      #320719 - 12/14/07 05:56 PM
Little Minnie

Dairy is just one of the most common foods that upsets people's digestion. So many people have trouble digesting it that it is always the first thing doctors tell you to avoid. I think besides the proteins and lactose that the mucus causing properties add to its irritation to the digestive tract.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: To Sarah new
      #320728 - 12/15/07 03:54 AM
welshsarah

Yay, maybe if we do end up being brave enough we can try it out together. I think you're right- we would need to eat dairy on a daily basis. I'm watching my sugar intake like you also and don't eat anywhere near as much fruit as used to either. I can honestly say that i'm feeling the best i have all year. Yet i have a glass of wine, a little bit of chocolate. However, it's only been this last week that i've been feeling so great and it's whilst i've been off work and haven't been stressed at all. When i'm at work i eat the same things but i must be stressed out as my IBS is definitely worse. Ah, so complicated. I'm starting a new job next week so we'll see how my IBS is then and how my body copes with the odd glass of wine and a few squares of milk chocolate! Why is IBS so complicated!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#320729 - 12/15/07 04:39 AM
Syl

There is mixed information about diary products and IBS in the GI research community. Some researchers say that lactose is the only problematic ingredient and if you are lactose intolerant then avoid dairy. Otherwise they say dairy is ok. Others GI docs say that some unidentified ingredients in diary ~maybe~ a trigger and diary products should be avoided. Some people on this board think that a protein in the milk maybe a trigger this is no research evidence to support this notion. However, some individuals, not just IBS suffers, may have an allergy to some proteins in dairy. An interesting thing that I have seen in the research is that many of the proboitic clinical trials give the probiotic or placebo to IBS patients in a milk drink. Go figure if dairy is a problem for IBS

Diary like many other potential problematic foods like soy and fructose maybe one of those foods that you will have to try and see if it is a problem for you.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#320730 - 12/15/07 05:48 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

Due to miscommunication between my doctor and I.. I thought I had celiacs for about a year.. I was GF and still bloated and gassy... D every once in awhile but mostly just gas... When I was diagnosed I thought, YAY finally a reason and a way to fix it... tried to fix... still gas... turns out i'm not celiac.. ha ha ha!!! following the FI diet and the gas and bloating is almost history! woot woot

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

Thank you all! new
      #320731 - 12/15/07 06:14 AM
Zara

To Minnie - thank you for your answer, I still hope to belong to those people who tolerate dairy .

To Sarah - good luck on your new job! And I eat chocolate every day too although I try to limit myself to about 15g per day (I buy that kind that comes in a bag with individually wrapped pieces rather then a bar, less tempting that way ).

To Syl - thank you, your answer is very encouraging. I will definitely give dairy a proper shot next year and see for myself. I'm not going to go overboard, eating tons of sweetened ice cream, etc. but will start with small servings of cheese and will see. Btw, you must own the entire IBS research library .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: Thank you all! new
      #320733 - 12/15/07 06:29 AM
Syl

I have a digital library with a few hundred IBS and GI research papers. However, unlike the research library on this web site it contains the complete research papers not just the abstracts. AND I only collect research papers from reputable peer-reviewed journals. I add about 40-50 news ones each year. It involves a lot of reading and research but I have a personal interest in the material

--------------------

#320734 - 12/15/07 06:48 AM
Zara

Wow, that's impressive! Maybe you should become a GI doctor . I don't think any of the doctors I went to read a fraction of what you have! I mean, I'm no expert by no means but often felt like even I knew tons more about IBS then they did!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Zara and Sarah and Jenny new
      #320738 - 12/15/07 07:43 AM
Jordy

What diet(s) do you actually follow, then? A GF? A low fructose? What has helped you so much. Please share with me!

Please keep me updated on how you all are doing. It's very interesting to hear about your approach. I think stress is a huge part of my IBS....not even sure if the food would even matter. (Except raw veggies....those kill)!

--------------------

When to take probiotics? new
      #320739 - 12/15/07 07:46 AM
Jordy

What probiotic do you take? Mine say to take on an empty stomach at least half hour before a meal. But another kind I saw said to take on a full stomach?

--------------------

#320740 - 12/15/07 07:55 AM
Jordy

my bloodwork came back positive for the gluten anitgliadans...on 2 of the tests they do. The one most specific for celiac trans something, was okay. So, I don't know what I am. Some docs tell me to go ahead and eat gluten....that "normal" people can have these antibodies and continue to eat gluten. Another doc told me not to eat gluten. So, they haven't been much help.

--------------------

#320742 - 12/15/07 08:02 AM
Jordy

Quote:

But I just wonder if generally people have IBS only and we have too much talk about specific intolerances. Any thoughts?

You mean, you think we may be experiencing diagnosing ourselves with things out of desparation for relief. But, in fact, we just have plain ole IBS without any other intolerance? I fear this.

Yet, I know bloat and gas and C and D and fatigue and depression are all symptoms of gluten sensitivity....not just D and weight loss. My GI just diagnosed someone with celiac (after a biopsy) and he said she was overweight.

--------------------

Pud new
      #320744 - 12/15/07 08:07 AM
Jordy

Are you serious? How were you misdiagnosed? What happened? And what made the doctor change his mind?

That was really brave of you to start eating gluten again even though you thought you had celiac at one time. That's great that you don't have to avoid gluten any more. Really frees up the diet big time!

--------------------

Sarah new
      #320745 - 12/15/07 08:09 AM
Jordy

I forget, how did you know you had a gluten intolerance? Will you avoid gluten for the rest of your life?

--------------------

Re: Sarah new
      #320762 - 12/15/07 10:38 AM
welshsarah

Hi Jordy, I'm just wheat intolerant rather than gluten but tend to find rye and barley a bit heavy on my system. Am only strict about wheat though. I found out by going to see an allergy specialist who put me on an elimination diet over a few months. My symptoms improved substantially by cutting out wheat but i still suffered from nausea and my BMs weren't great so my specialist told me to cut out dairy as well. Winning combo- avoiding wheat and dairy together worked a treat. Still had bad wind and bloating so additionally followed the EFI diet and low fructose. That's my winning combo- EFI, low fructose and giving up wheat

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#320764 - 12/15/07 10:41 AM
welshsarah

Thank you Zara, that's ver kind of you.
Good luck with all your IBS stuff too. i'm going to try out with some cheese first too- my specialist says that cheese has a lower lactose content so may not be problematic. Anyway, all the best!

I want to add a thank you to Syl too and for the same reasons.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#320765 - 12/15/07 10:45 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

My GI told me to avoid lactose and to take lactaid when I couldn't. That didn't work at all. The lactaid didn't even slow down the reaction I have to dairy. I also tried drinking protein drinks that were lactose free but derived their protein from milk. Made me very sick. Allergy tests show I am sensitive to daily as a whole. I don't know if it triggers my IBS or if I'm just allergic to it but I know I can't tolerate dairy in any form. Thank God for rice and almond alternatives (because I can't have soy either).

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Re: When to take probiotics? new
      #320766 - 12/15/07 10:46 AM
welshsarah

I take mine with my evening meal, when i remember!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#320786 - 12/15/07 03:29 PM
Little Minnie

My recent GI visit confirmed my suspicions. He says there is no reason to think I have anything other than IBS. Since my D and C are so infrequent it would be highly unlikely that I have an intolerance or allergy. My bloating of course is caused by spasms in the gut and he recommended peppermint caps then levbid if this doesn't work.
I am sure someone could have celiac's without being skinny. I bet they have other symptoms though.
I too fear just having IBS! It is very depressing to think of having no hope of feeling better.

--------------------

#320823 - 12/16/07 11:20 AM
Zara

Quote:

My recent GI visit confirmed my suspicions. He says there is no reason to think I have anything other than IBS. ....
I too fear just having IBS! It is very depressing to think of having no hope of feeling better.

The way I look at it is that I also believe I have "just" IBS. I've been tested for celiacs so I know I don't have it. I have also been tested for lactose and fructose malabsorption and SIBO. However, I do believe that while I may not have the typical intolerance that would have been found at the doctor's office, these foods can still be offenders that trigger my IBS. That's why I's so eager to give eliminating diets a shot.
I believe that once I identify my main triggers my IBS will be more or less gone. This belief is what keeps me going. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know, I just don't want to give up. I need to believe in order not to go crazy .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#320838 - 12/16/07 02:54 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I certainly think it's a good idea to check for intolerances if you have frequent problems and don't get dramatically better on the EFI diet. According to IBS experts in Sweden the most common triggers for IBS are wheat, eggs and milk. Egg yolks and dairy are excluded on the EFI so trying to decrease or remove the wheat isn't that much more work. Some nutritionists in Sweden recommend trying to exclude gluten even if you aren't gluten intolerant since many people experience a relief on a GF diet and as they put it, the important thing is if you feel better, not if you have a confirmed intolerance as defined by medicine.

Then of course you have to find the balance so that you don't eliminate too much food and so that you don't go crazy looking for just one more thing to try. If you get fed up experimenting I recommend taking a break for a while and then start experimenting again when you feel like it.

As for symptoms of gluten intolerance the ones I have seen listed are (you may have one or several):

*digestive problems, most commonly D but C, A and bloating can also be symptoms
*weight loss
*fatigue
*depression
*anemia
*vitamin or mineral deficiencies
*sore mouth or blisters in the mouth
*certain type of blisters
*bone/joint ache
*difficulty getting pregnant

I think that's about it.

/Ulrika

#320854 - 12/17/07 09:00 AM
Kitchentrolls

Reged: 12/06/07

I just wanted to say that I have a lactose intolerance but I have no problems with lactose-free milk or yoghurt (no additives, just plain). I like these and eat them regularly for extra protein and I am still stable. I believe that you should always reintroduce some of the foods (not all of them at once) that you have cut out of your diet, just to make sure that they are (still) truly the issue. Maybe if you try dairy in small portions for a week or two without making any other changes to your diet. Then re-evaluate and see. I think that we all have different tolerance levels and must find out what foods (and amounts) that trigger OUR attacks.

#320865 - 12/17/07 09:57 AM
welshsarah

I'm interested to try the lactose-free milk actually because i'm fine with having a little normal milk in my tea/coffee so i'd quite like to give it a go. Was thinking it may be better for my body than normal milke. But then, if my body's handling this then maybe i don't need to try the lactose-free stuff...

I totally agree with you, we do all have different tolerance levels and our triggers can be individual. For example, wheat is the worst thing i can eat for my IBS. Just one bite bloats my stomach up like a balloon almost immediately after eating it and i'm then constipated for a week! But i can handle chocolate and alcohol in small quantities.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#320899 - 12/17/07 04:28 PM
Little Minnie

I also secretly hope for something someday to click and be like 'all this time I couldn't digest this' or 'I was allergic to that' but I have done elimination diets and not felt better. If I hadn't done them it would be different. I know my main triggers that give me D but avoiding them does not help my bloating at all.

--------------------

Re: Pud new
      #321048 - 12/20/07 10:03 AM
Pud

did a blood test that came back elevated.. however it was not the right test.. i went gluten free for a year and it didnt change anything..

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#321078 - 12/20/07 06:20 PM
Jordy

What exactly do you mean? What test came back positive? What did they test for instead of the gluten intolerance?

--------------------

Re: Dairy? new
      #321391 - 12/31/07 03:07 PM
Sneaker

Reged: 12/31/07
Loc: Montreal

Newb here, and I'm glad you brought it up, because I've been wondering about that too.

It seems I'm lactose intolerant. I drink lactose-free milk about five times a week with my all-bran honey oat cereal (thank God I can tolerate All-Bran with no problems whatsoever) and I eat aged cheddar cheese usually about 4 times a week. I find the younger, milder cheddars cause me more problems, but the older it is, the better I can handle it.

As for ice cream....I splurge and get the completely no-no stuff like Ben and Jerry's, take some Lactaid, and hope for the best. I figure there's no point in putting myself through the pain if all I'm having is ordinary Quebon chocolate ice cream, right? So I get the reeealllyy good stuff, and it makes the pain easier to deal with :P

Yoghurt-wise, I only eat probiotic yoghurt like Activia, Yoptimal or that new Danone DanActive. I read somewhere that people who are lactose intolerant can tolerate these yoghurts because the probiotics cancel out some of the lactose. So I've heard, anyway.

I'm just hoping that my IBS doesn't get any worse and I won't be allowed any dairy at all. Milk I can live with not having,(I used to drink close to a litre a day before my IBS started) but without my cheese...le sigh.

Re: Dairy? new
      #321423 - 01/01/08 08:35 AM
Jordy

wow, I can't believe you can eat All Bran with cereal and all those dairy products. Lucky you!!

--------------------

Re: Pud-bump once more-nt new
      #321925 - 01/08/08 09:14 AM
Jordy

--------------------

Pud, please help!-nt new
      #322179 - 01/11/08 08:14 AM
Jordy

--------------------

#322216 - 01/12/08 05:13 AM
Pud

I am so so so so sorry for not getting back to you... I didn't realize there was a post for me... I really wish we could use the private messaging feature... if you want to email me PuddleOfL0ve@Yahoo.com is my email address

The test he did was testing some sort of antibody test similar to the gluten test... apparently it is normal for that one to come back high... it was my regular dr who did the test after i asked him to... its actually my uncle because at the time i didnt have health insurance and he would do things for free or as cheap as possible.. anyway... somehow it was the wrong test and i should have gotten the biopsy done because that is the only way to be certain.. however i have a phobia of needles and the thought of getting an IV was enough for me to wait as long as possible... stupid stupid stupid... my recomendation is to go to a dr who has a slight clue of what celiac disease is and have them do the blood test and then get the biopsy... it is easier for me to change my diet than get the tests.. however for most people its not a big deal.. turns out that i have sibo and the fructose malabsorption diet is working for me... when i actually follow it...

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#322293 - 01/14/08 06:35 AM
Jordy

Quote:

The test he did was testing some sort of antibody test similar to the gluten test... apparently it is normal for that one to come back high

Hey, Pud! Nice to hear from you!

I still don't understand exactly what test you had done...so maybe I'll email you to see if you have the specific name. Do you mean that they tested you for gluten antibodies, but that the one most precise for CD was negative while the regular gluten antibodies were positive? I know you don't have celiac, but you do avoid wheat. Is this because you did test positive for some of the gluten antibodies and believe you are gluten intolerant? I'm so confused. My biopsy was negative too....but doesn't positive antibodies mean you still have to avoid gluten even though you don't have celiac disease?

--------------------

#322504 - 01/16/08 06:53 PM
Pud

what is your email address... sometimes emails get sent to my bulk folder... i will scan thru for it... i have to find a copy of my bloodwork to tell you the name...

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

#322544 - 01/17/08 08:53 AM
Jordy

I would be so grateful and appreciative! My email address is jordynicole@gmail.com. I hope you find the test results so we can see what exactly was tested.

Can I ask why you follow wheat free but not gluten free?

--------------------

#324720 - 02/14/08 08:03 AM
Jordy

Pud, did you forget about me? Please email me.

--------------------

#324792 - 02/15/08 08:35 AM
Pud

I was looking thru your previous posts and I have not come across your email address... but send an email to me at puddleofl0ve@yahoo.com

--------------------
Pud
Long Island

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 212 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 28997

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review