All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: to jordy new
      #320695 - 12/14/07 09:20 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

I know the same feeling. But my family is usally pretty good. I think its best to go for chinese or Japanese or a diner. This way you can get steamed chicken or shrimp with veggies, sushi, or at a dinner alot of plain choices with a baked potato.

Hello what about company lunches, parties, ect we are going to a fancy Italian restaurant with serves family style looaded with Garlic,oil and fried with cheese. So after seeing the menu I almosy cried at my desk. I finally went to talk to the exec secretary and my mom. For moral support. I wounded up calling the place to have them make me a "special" dish with pasta grilled chicken with white wine and light on the oil. Well we will see.. she insisted on putting broccoli in it but I SAID NO WAY. That would kill me.. I just have having to always stand out at a Co party. And you would think since they would care.. right

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sure new
      #320696 - 12/14/07 09:46 AM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

yeah just 1/2 a teaspoon right now

I eat pears mostly and sometimes will make a smoothie in the am with papaya, apricot juice and strawberries

Biogest is made by Thorne Research- I get it from my doc but im sure u can buy it on the web

so no celiac but are u gluten sensitive? there's a difference. i had a stool test done my enterolabs and also had a complete workup performed by Diagnos Techs

To everyone + why is dairy a trigger? new
      #320697 - 12/14/07 09:47 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Jenny and Sarah, I'm also afraid of fruits right now! I've been really good for the past week yet I was still so bloated! So I also reduced the amount of fruit (I already pretty much ditched sugar in other forms). I still get bloated but at least now I wake up with a semi-flat stomach (not that it lasts for too long). I'm afraid that I'm just becoming paranoid (as discussed in the "fructose scare" thread).

Debs, I hear you! Co parties, lunches...I'm always the odd one with this weird diet! Sometimes I try to explain it to people but I think that even makes it worse. I'm not sure myself what I can/cannot eat. For example, I explain about wheat but then I'm really starved and a handful of plain pretzels seems like the lesser evil. However, people must think I'm nuts, talking about no wheat yet eating like 5 pretzels .

And there is one more think that I can't get outta my head. 1 1/2 years ago I felt pretty good throughout the Summer - I ate no wheat, watched my sugar intake but I DID EAT DAIRY! And I didn't start feeling worse until the fall when I started adding GF junk food (because I missed it). So I keep thinking, what if I can tolerate dairy? I know, it's a trigger according to the EFI diet but we all have different triggers, right? I miss it so much! Does anyone know why exactly it's on the trigger list? I know Heather says it's the heavy proteins but where would that put meat (chicken, fish, etc.)? What exactly does dairy cause in the body of a C person? Is it bloating? I tested negative for lactose intolerance so the way I understand it I shouldn't have any undigested diary to cause bloating. Or does it contribute to C?
Oh, and I'm talking about "pure" dairy - plain, with no sugar/additives in it.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: to jordy and sarah new
      #320706 - 12/14/07 02:28 PM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

To be honest, when i'm out with friends etc. i don't stick to it- i just avoid wheat and dairy and that's it. I don't seem to have any difficulties with that to be honest. I figure my mental wellbeing will be greater if i'm social and able to enjoy myself and have to suffer a little bit for a day or two after than avoiding important events altogether.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: To everyone + why is dairy a trigger? new
      #320707 - 12/14/07 02:32 PM
welshsarah

Oh my gosh Zara, i feel the same! I keep wondering if i am actually intolerant to dairy as i can have milk chocolate every night and am fine as long as i don't eat gluten. I'm so tempted to try dairy properly again. I don't follow the EFI diet when i'm out- i just avoid gluten and dairy. If you do try dairy let me know how it goes. I'm planning to try it out in the New Year so i'll keep you posted.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

To Sarah new
      #320710 - 12/14/07 02:55 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Oh Sarah, I'm so glad I'm not the only one . I actually did have a piece of cheese and about 2T of cottage cheese today. So far I don't feel any worse then I normally do. But I guess I would really need to eat dairy on regular basis to see true results. I'm still far from what I consider stable - I do have BMs, although not as much as I'd like to but I'm still bloated and get cramps. So I guess I will also need to wait before I give dairy a proper try. Right now I'm more or less avoiding wheat and trying to watch my sugar intake (I have one homemade cookie every night and I'm not eating as much fruit as I did before). So when I get better (hopefully soon ) I will experiment

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

dairy new
      #320719 - 12/14/07 05:56 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Dairy is just one of the most common foods that upsets people's digestion. So many people have trouble digesting it that it is always the first thing doctors tell you to avoid. I think besides the proteins and lactose that the mucus causing properties add to its irritation to the digestive tract.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: To Sarah new
      #320728 - 12/15/07 03:54 AM
welshsarah

Yay, maybe if we do end up being brave enough we can try it out together. I think you're right- we would need to eat dairy on a daily basis. I'm watching my sugar intake like you also and don't eat anywhere near as much fruit as used to either. I can honestly say that i'm feeling the best i have all year. Yet i have a glass of wine, a little bit of chocolate. However, it's only been this last week that i've been feeling so great and it's whilst i've been off work and haven't been stressed at all. When i'm at work i eat the same things but i must be stressed out as my IBS is definitely worse. Ah, so complicated. I'm starting a new job next week so we'll see how my IBS is then and how my body copes with the odd glass of wine and a few squares of milk chocolate! Why is IBS so complicated!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

Re: To everyone + why is dairy a trigger? new
      #320729 - 12/15/07 04:39 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There is mixed information about diary products and IBS in the GI research community. Some researchers say that lactose is the only problematic ingredient and if you are lactose intolerant then avoid dairy. Otherwise they say dairy is ok. Others GI docs say that some unidentified ingredients in diary ~maybe~ a trigger and diary products should be avoided. Some people on this board think that a protein in the milk maybe a trigger this is no research evidence to support this notion. However, some individuals, not just IBS suffers, may have an allergy to some proteins in dairy. An interesting thing that I have seen in the research is that many of the proboitic clinical trials give the probiotic or placebo to IBS patients in a milk drink. Go figure if dairy is a problem for IBS

Diary like many other potential problematic foods like soy and fructose maybe one of those foods that you will have to try and see if it is a problem for you.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: GI symptoms new
      #320730 - 12/15/07 05:48 AM
Pud

Reged: 06/20/07
Loc: Long Island

Due to miscommunication between my doctor and I.. I thought I had celiacs for about a year.. I was GF and still bloated and gassy... D every once in awhile but mostly just gas... When I was diagnosed I thought, YAY finally a reason and a way to fix it... tried to fix... still gas... turns out i'm not celiac.. ha ha ha!!! following the FI diet and the gas and bloating is almost history! woot woot

--------------------
Pud
Long Island
IBS-D & SIBO - main symptom GAS

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 401 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 29320

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review