All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
WHY THE GAS???
      #316402 - 10/10/07 04:39 PM
haleym

Reged: 10/07/07

OK so I am on day 6 of Heathers diet, the past 3 days I have been so gassy and constipated.( Its really embarrassing b/c when there is a lot of air in my stomach it so LOUD! and I work in a very quiet office so EVERYONE looks, feel like crying)....and it usually doesnt start until 2pm or 3pm ( after lunch) anyway I thought maybe if I posted my diet for the past two days someone with IBS-C or a lot of gas could tell me what Im doing wrong......
Day1
breakfast: wheatfree toaster waffles
snack: an apple (with the peel b.c i thought it would help pass things along)
Lunch: Chicken breast,romaine lettuce, tiny bit of BBQ sauce in a spinach tortilla- GAS STARTED about 20mins later
Snack: Luna bar
Dinner:Steamed Squash,carrots, mushrooms and a lil brocolli( again thought it would help me have a BM)

DAY2
Breakfast: Ezekial 4:9 flourless bread with organic Peanut butter
Snack: 5 mini rice cakes
Lunch: 2 taco sized white corn tortillas with eggwhites and salsa in them- GAS STARTED ABOUT 1 Hr after
Sipping some peppermint tea now (waiting on my fennel tea order)- dont know what to do, gas and cramps are miserable right now
Please someone help

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: WHY THE GAS??? new
      #316408 - 10/10/07 06:29 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

Hey,

Wanted to tell you I totally sympathise with the loud stomach noises! happens to me all the time in uni lectures; people turn around and they're like, what was THAT!??! And I'm just - yeah, that's my stomach groaning and gurgling - I have no control baby! Deal with it!

Anyway... I'm not sure about your diet, but,
What's a spinach tortilla - does it have enough SF?
Broccoli gives plenty of people gas problems
Flourless bread, wheatfree waffles - what are these made of?
If it's tomato salsa - well I can't do tomatoes personally.

This is not all that helpful; someone more knowledgeable will be more useful to you, sorry.

But - are you getting some exercise,
drinking enough water,
relaxing a little?
I know you are constantly thinking about what's happening in there; it's hard; but the stress won't be helping. You could check out the yoga poses too; they can be very helpful.

Chin up
Jodie

#316416 - 10/11/07 03:41 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Hi Hayley, you have my sympathy. Last night i was awake from 4.30am with horrible nausea and gas. Anyway, from my experience the things that i can see that may be causing your gas are...

DAY 1
Apple (that always causes havoc with my system),
Romiane lettuce and the spinach tortilla,
Broccoli (i really struggle with this one but i love it!)

DAY 2
Salsa

Remember though that what you ate on DAY 1 could have repurcussions for days so it's quite difficult to definitely say that such and such is causing gas. I'd say Day 1 was the problem though. Hope this helps.

Good luck! IT'll get easier, promise.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#316436 - 10/11/07 11:04 AM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

By looking at your menu, things that would give me gas are:

unpeeled apples
squash
broccoli

When I eat fruits and veggies, I make sure to mix them with lots of rice or potato, then it's not so bad. Peel and take out seeds out of them and gas won't be so bad. Fruits and veggies are good for you, but they have Insoluble fiber which is not IBS friendly and it would give you gas. Do you take Heather's fiber? You should. My gas is almost gone now that I take it.

Take care.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#316439 - 10/11/07 11:30 AM
haleym

I just ordered it yesterday...I hope it works for Gas and C, I am on day 4 with NO BM at all. I am miserable at work today!!!

#316440 - 10/11/07 11:36 AM
haleym

thanks for the suggestion. yes I know that the brocilli is not good but I didnt have it until dinner and I had gas allll day. It is just so frustrating because I am soooo C ( havent gone at all ini 4 days) thats why Im eating the skin. brocilli etc to try to get things moving. But then I have gas!!
I workout 5-6 days and week and I drink water like there is no tomorrow. This morning I was so desperate I had a bowl of oatmeal and even coffee to try to get things going.....Im on aloe ( trying to ease myself off with the addition of a SF supplement) and still NOTHING
Thanks for the tips hopefully things will get better when i get heathers fiber( ordered it yesterday)

#316443 - 10/11/07 11:46 AM
haleym

flourless bread is eziekal 4:9 here are the ingredients
Organic Sprouted Wheat, *Organic Sprouted Barley, *Organic Sprouted Millet, Malted Barley, *Organic Sprouted Lentils, *Organic Sprouted Soybeans, *Organic Spelt, Filtered Water, Fresh Yeast, Sea Salt.
I havent eaten it for about a year and it doesnt seem to give me problems but just FYI

and the waffles are potato starch, brown rice flour and sweet rice flour

no easy answer new
      #316492 - 10/11/07 07:41 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have had similar symptoms for many, many years. I am pretty much good for nothing after lunch since I have such extreme bloating and gas. It isn't so much what I eat. I stick to the diet and have really awful gas every afternoon and evening and terrible bloating. But there are things to try in your diet that might help. Stay away from lettuce and fruit/veg peels. Stay away from veggies like broccoli. You have to drink more, move more and take your SFS to get the poop to move through. I feel that moving the bowels several times a day helps with gas. Also exercising all day helps too. The fennel tea should start before lunch and continue on all day for most benefit and make sure to pee whenever you have to. Try pep caps before eating too. Good luck! I haven't conquered it yet! I am trying to go off sugar and getting a stool test (suspect bacteria!)

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#316781 - 10/16/07 05:27 PM
Kiki

Reged: 10/16/07
Loc: New England

Well, here's what would bother me from your diet: chicken (all chicken and eggs give me vile gas), bbq sauce (most spices give me gas), ezekiel bread may be too insoluble, egg whites, and onions or garlic in the salsa would give me gas (all onions and garlic bother me, except scallions). Try to follow the IBS diet religiously and see what happens (along with taking the soluble fiber).

#316940 - 10/18/07 03:32 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

my gastro told me to take citrucel...its the smart fiber and it doesnt cause gas.....i havent tried it yet....also, broccoli is a no no for most and for some reasons, egg whites cause me to fart and i can smell them immediately......i though i heard that cooked veggies dont cause as much gas?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2981 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4153

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review