All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What are your favorite SAFE fruits and veggies to eat?
      #315635 - 09/27/07 09:29 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I'm trying to eat more fruits and veggies in my diet, but am having a hard time with variety. What are your SAFE favorites? Especially to take in lunches to work?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What are your favorite SAFE fruits and veggies to eat? new
      #315640 - 09/27/07 09:44 AM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

I am faaaaaaar from stable. All I can tolerate are bananas and carrots.

#315658 - 09/27/07 02:12 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Bananas, carrot sticks, and unsweetened applesauce, and canned peaches are staples for me. I like the single servings of the applesauce and peaches when it fits in my budget.

Oh, and I sneak veggies in by putting sliced mushrooms on sandwiches.

#315668 - 09/27/07 03:15 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

I cook down carrots, peeled eggplant, pumpkin and potato and mash it up and spread it on rolls that I take to work or eat at home; I usually scoop out the soft bread and pack the vegie mash in then add sliced mushrooms and tuna or chicken.

Also, happily for me, I can eat an apple with the skin so that's easy.

#315679 - 09/28/07 02:53 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

Love potatoes...I'll add corn or green beans to it. Squash and mushrooms. I have to be careful of fruits...can't handle the acidic fruits. I'll put bananas, and berries in my muffins, eat cooked apples, and applesauce.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#315680 - 09/28/07 05:09 AM
cejay

Reged: 08/27/06

I love baby carrots and mushrooms sliced with my lunches. I can eat apples, usually without the peel but occasionally I can sneak in an unpeeled one. I can eat peeled pears, kiwi, and plums or nectarines. Unfortunately due to my GERD and gastritis I cannot eat any citrus or bannanas.
I also like to cook cauliflower and then mash it up, almost like mashed potatoes, and depending upon how stable I am change the format of the mash.

All fruits and veggies new
      #315682 - 09/28/07 06:22 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

are essentially 'safe'. They are dairy free, low in fat and have no added ingredients. Some are easier to digest than others and can be eaten alone. But all fruits and veggies deserve a careful place in our diet. My safest fruits are bananas, mango, pineapple, peeless pears, kiwi, nectarines. My safest veggies are sweet potatoes, peas, carrots and other root veggies, spinach and green beans. The vegetable I eat most often is broccoli but I have it with rice.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#315687 - 09/28/07 08:59 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

How could I forget about green beans? Green beans have always been safe for me. Peas aren't safe for me. We're all different.

And I forgot to mention canned pears are also safe for me. I usually stir them into my oatmeal. Fresh peeled pears would also be okay for me, but I don't have the patience to peel one too often.

Re: Little Minnie new
      #315697 - 09/28/07 11:58 AM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

It sounds like you don't get gas from fruits and veggies, if you can even tolerate broccoli. Most of us get gas from raw foods.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#315699 - 09/28/07 12:36 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It's not so much a question of what is safe to eat, but what your food supply is, how you prepare it and what you eat it in combination with.

Personally I recommend organic fruit and veggies. The safest way is for them to be prepared is peeled, seeds removed (where possible) and cooked. The safest way for them to be eaten is with a soluble fibre staple like potatoes, white flour bread or white rice (preferably white basmati rice).

Clearly some produce is not safe no matter how you prepare it or in what combination you eat it. So I would stay away from things like cabbage, brocolli, brussel sprouts, etc. Certain fruits are bad news too like peaches, plums and pears.

Of the safer fruits and veggies, I recommend (if you don't have time to properly prepare it) to purchase babyfood so that it's already pureed and cooked for you. The best brand I've ever found (and it's not organic, but it's GREAT) is Beech Nut babyfood (www.beechnut.com) made in the U.S. I think it might be available at Albertson's in the U.S. It's available here in Canada at Loblaws stores.

Just check ingredients to ensure nothing extra is added.

I often eat Beech Nut apple/blueberry sauce, Dutch apple or apples/bananas on toast in the morning. It's a great jam substitute (with no added sugar or artificial sweetener) and you get some fruit into your diet at the same time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1170 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4414

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review