All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Questran (generic)
      #315619 - 09/27/07 06:32 AM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

I've been following this diet for about 5 months. Have not come close to stabilizing, even for a day. The only trigger I eat is a small amount of cheese and I've recently cut that out for a while and noticed no change. ANYTHING I eat other than rice, pasta, bread, the really basics - bother me. I seem to be having trouble with butternut squash for crying out loud. But then again, it seems I'm reacting to everything at one time or another.

I saw a new GI on Friday, he recommended Questran since my IBS changed completely when my gallbladder came out. I had to wait to start taking it because I was going to be out of state on Saturday and didn't want to risk adverse affects. I had a horrible attack on Saturday (stress induced) and spend two hours curled up on my aunt's couch crying. Though, for the first time ever, I didn't have D with that level of attack. Later when I got home, I figured I had to eat something and I had a small roll. It literally felt like my stomach seized around the bread as soon as I had swallowed the whole thing. That never happened before. It happened again Tuesday night. At the precise same time, when I ate something soft, small bit of soy ice cream, nothing happened.

I started the Questran (generic) on Sunday. It is vile, vile stuff and the timing with other medication and when you can eat is driving me crazy. And I don't feel any better. I'm continuing to feel worse. I missed work yesterday (again). Then because I spent so much time lying down the last few days, my neck went into spasms this morning (old car injury).

I'm sorry for my rambling post. Today is just a day I want to give up. Sell my house, pay off all my debts and just move. So I don't have the stresses of money and debt and maybe could eek out an existance. I hate my life.

The only bit of hope I have are the hypnotherapy CDs. I am waiting to get some money my brother owes me and if he sends enough, I am ordering them. Otherwise, I feel there is no hope. Nothing is helping. I feel as bad now as I did before I started the diet and I'm restricting so much of what I eat.

I guess I desperately need some support today.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Started Questran (generic) and Having Really Bad Time new
      #315624 - 09/27/07 08:09 AM
aworkman307

Reged: 08/15/07
Loc: Krum, TX

Well i am in the same boat with you....I can give you a little advice as far a Questran goes, Yes it is very bitter and taste like you are swallowing a mouth full of sand....Mix it with orange juice with pulp it cuts out the bitter taste and the pulp helps make it easier to swallow, i always eat a small piece of toast before drinking Questran it seems to settle my stomach.

An Yes taking all your Meds an hour before or 3-4 hours later is a huge pain in the whowho

Questran has become my breakfast and the rest of my meds are taken with lunch....if the Dr didn't not tell you you will need to add a mulitvitamin to your daily dose of everthing else....Questran depletes Vitamns K,D,A,and E.
I went with One a Day Womens it has the largest amount of the vitamns needed.

For me Questran worked almost immeditaly and I am no longer on such a restricted diet....I still watch what I eat and still eat in small quanties but do eat more of the foods I love and enjoy.

So I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you and hope it works out for you.

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com
www.myspace.com/aworkman307

#315627 - 09/27/07 08:19 AM
IBSHell

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm feeling very alone right now. I will try the OJ. I haven't had any since I switched to the EFI diet, but I will try it with the pulp and see if it gets better. I also take meds 3 times a day, so the timing thing is awful. He did not tell me about the vitamin deficiency. Maybe he was waiting to see if it would work. I'll start taking a multi that hopefully won't cause me any other problems.

I'm glad it worked for you. It seems to work for a lot of people. Did you have any side effects in the beginning? I'm definitely burping more and more queasy. I should have taken the Questran at 10, but I haven't eaten anything and the thought of drinking that stuff makes me want to vomit.

However, our cafeteria opens in 10 minutes and they might have OJ with pulp.

Amanda you are a Goddess!! new
      #315632 - 09/27/07 09:04 AM
IBSHell

Thank you so much for suggesting the OJ with pulp. I was able to get the stuff down for the first time without chocking and struggling not to throw it back up. But it was 95% better!

#315666 - 09/27/07 02:51 PM
aworkman307

I did feel very queasy for the first week and always right after taking it.....and yes a little gassy i started taking one gas-x pill at bed time and it took it a few days but it cut gas to almost nothing...Just another pill to swallow.....Good Luck

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com

#315685 - 09/28/07 07:40 AM
IBSHell

Thank you so much. I was in so much pain yesterday. I was also bloating in addition to the gas. Something I don't usually deal with to that extent. Gas X stopped working for me a while ago, but I finally broke down and tried the fennel tea. I'm not a tea drinker and it's been so hot. But I went up to my air conditioned room and had my tea and after a while I felt so much better. My doctor wants me to continue to try the Questran and see if it gets better. So I have the OJ to help get the medicine down and the fennel tea to help with the side effects. I feel the best I've felt in a week.

Thank you for your encouragement and advice at a very desperate time for me.

#315686 - 09/28/07 07:50 AM
aworkman307

Very Glad to help.....Hope everthing works out for you and am glad to hear you are feeling a little better....Keep me posted.

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com

#315822 - 10/01/07 07:55 AM
IBSHell

Hey, I wanted to see if there is anyone else out there that is taking Questran. I've been on it a week and there doesn't seem to be any improvement. I really thought this would help as my IBS changed dramatically when my gallbladder came out.

Is there anyone else (besides wonderful Amanda) that can offer me some advice?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1355 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2666

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review