All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Gas question
      #315536 - 09/25/07 03:09 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

I am trying to figure out what foods give me gas. In the past I would only get gas from cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and beans.
Now I get gas from:
Soy
Beans
All veggies
All fruits

Can you guys share with me what foods give you gas, in specific? I'm just trying to get help. Thanks.

(beano and gas-x doesn't help me anymore)

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Everyone, gas question, please. new
      #315555 - 09/26/07 08:23 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Hm. Off the top of my head, I know I get gas from beans, brocolli, papaya, fresh apples (it's the skin), and some but not all fried food. I sometimes get it from cabbaga. If I am really sick, bananas do it to me as well, but that very rarely happens.

I don't eat cauliflower. Soy does not seem to bother me.

Papaya? new
      #315578 - 09/26/07 12:06 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Anyone else get gas from papaya? I thought these would be very good for digestion, if no fructose problems.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Papaya? new
      #315626 - 09/27/07 08:16 AM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

You know, now that you mentioned it, I remember having terrible gas after papaya. Weird.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Re: Papaya? new
      #315637 - 09/27/07 09:35 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Papaya like apples, pears, melons, etc is a fruit that contains more of the sugar fructose than the sugar glucose. The excess fructose in these fruit and their juice can cause gas and bloating in some people just like HFCS.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

depressing (sort of changing the subject, sorry) new
      #315657 - 09/27/07 02:07 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

The thought of never being able to eat a mango or a papaya or an apple or a pear again......I don't know if it's worth it. I love those fruits, but I do hate gas and bloat. How do you come to peace with accepting you will never be able to enjoy the crunch of an apple again?

Anyhow, Heather has mangos and papayas as safe foods. And in her book, she has pears included in her 2 week sample menu. I just don't know if I'm making myself more sick by worrying about one more thing. (sorry....just talking to myself, really). I know you know your own body.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: depressing (sort of changing the subject, sorry) new
      #315670 - 09/27/07 04:18 PM
Syl

For me it was an easy to swap the crunchiness of an apple and the sweetness of a melon for a significant reduction in pain, bloating and gas .

While I don't crave crunchiness I still crave sweetness

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: Gas question new
      #315752 - 09/29/07 08:35 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

Hi Tatyana,

for me I would say definitely dried fruits, they kill me, especially apricots. I have also found just limiting myself to one piece of fruit a day (usually an apple) has really really helped. Tomatoes are out too. And soy milk; I only have water on my oatmeal now. With these measures, I don't have a gas problem anymore.

Apart from that, I just find that if I cook down/mash up my veg and lentils, and make sure I always have SF in the form of a white roll (lunch) and sweet potato (dinner) I do fine. But - the only vegetables I eat besides sweet potato are carrots, pumpkin, zucchini, potato, peeled eggplant and spinach. No others; I don't know if they'd be bad but I'm comfortable with the ones I eat so don't want to risk it!

Good luck.

honeydew? new
      #315754 - 09/29/07 08:43 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Syl, does honeydew fall into this category too? I can eat cantaloupe alright but when I have honeydew I get gassy. ???

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: honeydew? new
      #315762 - 09/30/07 05:40 AM
Syl

On average, the USDA database says that honeydew melons contain about 2 grams of fructose per 100 grams while cantaloupe contains about 3 grams per 100 grams (about 35% more). However, on average both melons have about 0.3 grams more fructose than glucose. Generally speaking both melons should have the same effect if you are a fructose malabsorber.

However, the values in the USDA database are averages and different varieties could well have quite different amounts of these sugars. Also the ripeness of the fruit and the amount you eat will also be a big determining factor in the actual amount of excess fructose for these two types of melon. So I am not sure there is a clear answer to your question.

--------------------

#316213 - 10/07/07 06:18 PM
DDloves

Reged: 10/03/07
Loc: Salinas, Ca.

nuts, raisens,

#316229 - 10/08/07 08:16 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Salad, all fruit apart from ripe bananas and pureed apple, dried fruit, nuts, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, lentils, hummus, beans... i think that's it. Depressing. Soy, but it's bearable unlike the other stuff.

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#316240 - 10/08/07 09:24 AM
haleym

Reged: 10/07/07

Soy gives you gas??? why is it a safe food? Im only 4 days in on this eating program and I dont want to eat soy if it gives you gas ??

#316242 - 10/08/07 09:40 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

Soy is one of those foods that it depends on the individual. I started out using it a lot and had horrible results. Cut it out for awhile, and use it sparingly now. I use rice products instead.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#316956 - 10/18/07 05:51 PM
Kiki

Reged: 10/16/07
Loc: New England

I get gas from eggs (even whites) and chicken (even white meat), beans, spices, onions, garlic, all dairy (highly lactose intolerant), all meat except fish, nuts. Anything at all tight on my stomach gives me gas within 5 minutes. Lying on my stomach more than a few minutes gives me gas. Being cramped in a position that is restrictive, like an airplane seat, gives me gas if I can't stretch.

#316957 - 10/18/07 05:54 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Quote:

Soy is one of those foods that it depends on the individual. I started out using it a lot and had horrible results. Cut it out for awhile, and use it sparingly now. I use rice products instead.

Same here, can't have soy without getting bloated . Thank God for Rice Dream

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: honeydew? new
      #364311 - 04/14/11 10:50 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

Quote:

On average, the USDA database says that honeydew melons contain about 2 grams of fructose per 100 grams while cantaloupe contains about 3 grams per 100 grams (about 35% more). However, on average both melons have about 0.3 grams more fructose than glucose. Generally speaking both melons should have the same effect if you are a fructose malabsorber.

However, the values in the USDA database are averages and different varieties could well have quite different amounts of these sugars. Also the ripeness of the fruit and the amount you eat will also be a big determining factor in the actual amount of excess fructose for these two types of melon. So I am not sure there is a clear answer to your question.

The question Syl I have, are cantaloupe and honeydew melons safe, for you and IBSers in general?

I've searched here and found many conflicting posts, some arguing that melons are trouble due to IF.
I dunno but when I see cantaloupe or honey dew slices, all I see is mushy slices, I don't see skin hence I thought fine?

#364327 - 04/15/11 05:09 PM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

Soy is highly allergenic, and susceptible people can become quite intolerant of it. This happened to my sister; she was eating it ALL the time and developed a horrible soy allergy! Now she can't even touch the stuff. I don't know if it bothers me or not (don't think so) but try to just eat it every 3-4 days so I don't develop any problems, as I am a vegetarian and have been for 15 years. But I don't want to rely on it too heavily!

--------------------
stable IBS-A

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 525 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10263

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review