All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Supporting the nervous system
      #315352 - 09/20/07 04:14 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Has anyone heard of trying to treat IBS by supporting a healthy nervous system?

I recently started going to a naturopath (turns out she has IBS too!) and she has said a few times we're going to work on supporting a healthy nervous system. It makes sense to me, since we all know about the brain-gut connection, and our stomach has so many nerves down there. Just wondering if anyone heard about this kind of way of going about treating IBS?

--------------------
Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Supporting the nervous system new
      #315356 - 09/20/07 04:53 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

Sorry, I cannot answer your question, but I saw in your profile that you're trying on gaining weight. I have the same problem. I am 5'7 and I weigh 105. All of my clothes just hang on me and it's hard to find clothes in size 2.

Hang in there!

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#315376 - 09/21/07 04:24 AM
Gaia

Reged: 11/16/06
Loc: NY

I'm seeing a new GI and my therapist wanted me to ask him about treating my nervous system! She's convinced this is a major factor w/my condition. I'm IBS-P. I'll let you know what he thinks!

#315377 - 09/21/07 06:33 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

This makes sense to me!

But how would you treat and support a healthy nervous system?

I really hope your naturapath helps you. How fortunate to have found her!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#315379 - 09/21/07 06:41 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The brain-gut dysfunction is but one of many theories about IBS. Inflammation, dysfunctional immune system responses, changes in colonic bacteria ecology, etc are other possible theories. Acupunture, cognitive therapy, yoga, etc all support the nervous system and they are use to treat IBS. In fact some people have mistakenly claimed that hypnosis which supports the nervous system can be a cure for IBS. What does a naturopath actually do to support the nervous system?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#315381 - 09/21/07 06:53 AM
K2

So far she's encouraged me to drink lemon balm tea, and taking a mineral supplement (calcium/magnesium for the muscle cramping, and trace minerals for the nervous system). I figured yoga and acupuncture would help the nervous system to, I just never heard any doctor say any of this before.

"The brain-gut dysfunction is but one of many theories about IBS."

Is it still a theory? As in not proven? Just curious.. I assumed it was proven link (although maybe not the sole cause for every case).

--------------------
Kat

#315382 - 09/21/07 06:56 AM
K2

Yep it's definitely hard not fitting into any normal sizes. I have certain stores I don't bother going in to.. size 2 tends not to fit.

I'm not necessarily focusing on gaining weight right now, just improving my general health and IBS symptoms. I keep thinking if I can improve my IBS and tolerate more fat, maybe I'll be able to gain weight.

--------------------
Kat

#315383 - 09/21/07 07:01 AM
K2

As Syl said, acupuncture, yoga etc should all help the nervous system. My naturopath believes I have some mineral deficiency so I'm taking some mineral supplement to see if that helps. That's also for my immune system too (I had mono last March and so far haven't gotten back to what I consider my normal health). She also said lemon balm tea has been used to treat nervous system disorders. It is really pleasant tasting and I sometimes mix it with peppermint tea to make that taste better. Makes a really nice tea I have to say. I just bought a box of lemon balm tea bags.

I do feel fortunate to have found her. And she's super understanding about not doing anything too drastic or sudden which might affect my IBS. She's starting me on the mineral supplement at 1 tsp a day when the recommended dose is 1-2 tbsp per day.

--------------------
Kat

#315384 - 09/21/07 07:02 AM
K2

Sounds good, let me know if he has any input on the matter. Would be interesting to get many perspectives on this (ie from different types of doctors)

--------------------
Kat

Re: oh another thing.. new
      #315385 - 09/21/07 07:04 AM
K2

I thought it was interesting to think of having a healthy nervous system, rather than trying to suppress symptoms by 'calming down' 'just relax' etc.. which every GI and doctor has told me to do. I may find anything in this area that does anything to help my IBS, but thinking of it in a different way is interesting.

--------------------
Kat

#315388 - 09/21/07 07:37 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Yep - it is still a theory. It is summarized in a recent review article as a hypothesis

"The brain-gut axis is a model describing bidirectional pathways linking emotional and cognitive centres in the brain with visceral afferent sensation and intestinal function. Several observations have led to the hypothesis of a dysfunctional brain-gut axis in the pathophysiology of IBS."

Reference
Posserud, I., A. Ersryd, and M. Simren, 2006: Functional findings in irritable bowel syndrome. World Journal of Gastroenterology, 12, 2830-2838.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 400 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3732

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review