All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Prescription meds for Ibs cramping. Poll sort of?
      #315193 - 09/18/07 04:21 AM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I know this has been discussed before, but since there are a lot of new people and new medications I was wondering if anyone would like to give their two sense worth on what type (if any) prescription medications you are taking to control colon spasm from IBS - D. I would be greatful.

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

None - nt - new
      #315195 - 09/18/07 05:39 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: None - nt - new
      #315198 - 09/18/07 05:53 AM
LtDanFan

Sly, do you have IBS-D do you have horrible cramping? If so what do you use? Thanks

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

Re: Prescription meds for Ibs cramping. Poll sort of? new
      #315204 - 09/18/07 06:22 AM
Pnut

Reged: 09/12/07
Loc: Ontario, CAN

I am taking Dicetel (Pinaverium bromide) for my abdominal cramping, bloating and pain. Although it hasn't completely removed those symptoms, it has helped tremendously!!!!! I am Canadian, and not sure whether this is only available here, because i haven't heard anyone else on the boards mention it.

#315206 - 09/18/07 06:26 AM
Syl

I have IBS-D. Cramping and pain was a serious problem for me until I got my SF/IF under control and removed all high fructose foods from my diet. I eat very little food with high amounts of IF. I eat lots of foods with high amounts of SF particularly, cooled rice, potatoes and pasta.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#315215 - 09/18/07 09:53 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

For long term management:
Still taking 10 mg of Elavil/amitriptyline at bed time.

For attacks or breakthrough cramping:
lorazepam/Ativan (Only for really bad attacks, cramping -- I don't do well with the side effects of the usual prescribed anti-spasmodics, but this tranquilizer works for me.)

Other:
peppermint and/or ginger tea
heat therapy (either heat patches, hot showers)
eating something purely SF -- sometimes my cramps get better after I eat something, so maybe it has to do with waiting too long to eat or not eating enough.

#315219 - 09/18/07 10:52 AM
LtDanFan

Thanks Maria!

I have seen that this regimen really works for you. What type of side effects do you have from other antispas meds? If you don't mine me asking. I haven't tried eating when I get an attack because I'm in so much pain, I sometimes forgt to breathe. So I am doing the heat, the peppermint tea/caps, I have the lorazepam, but never thought to use it for the cramping. I just was switched from levsin back to librax and since it has librium in it, I'm not sure if I can use the lorazepam as well....hmmm Right now, I'd do anything to sleep, but that's another issue. What would you consider your safest SF food? I do my very very best to no have any HFCS, I'm not sure if it's a trigger, but just in case. It's in tons of stuff, what happened to just plain suger?? Thanks

--------------------

#315220 - 09/18/07 10:53 AM
LtDanFan

Sly,

I do lots of rice, pasta, potatoes!! Why do you eat cool rice, is the heat aggrevating?

--------------------

#315221 - 09/18/07 11:19 AM
lalala

In the past, I've used Donnatal and Levsin, both made me jittery and anxious. Also, Donnatal + another tricyclic AD I was on a long, long time ago, just didn't go well together for me. I was very sleepy all the time and completely out of it. It could have been that the dosage was too high. In either case, neither of these anti-spasmodics did anything for the spasms or pain. I haven't tried Librax, but yes it does contain a tranquilizer so don't mix it with Ativan; talk with your doctor first, of course.

I also try to avoid HFCS, but it does seem to be sneaking its way into everything. I have noticed some companies (Jones Soda, Romano's Italian Sodas) returning to pure cane sugar after getting enough complaints from consumers. Not that I drink pop, but I'm hoping if these companies are listening to consumers maybe others will as well.

My safest SF food would be rice -- Rice Chex, steamed white rice, rice crackers. So, rice is usually my base during meal times. Other SF bases for me are potatoes and/or pasta/bread. Of course, I eat a lot of other stuff with my SF base: fish or chicken, mixed vegetables or legumes.

#315222 - 09/18/07 11:40 AM
Syl

Cooling heated rice, potatoes and pasta cause the starch to gel producing what is known as resistant starch which acts just like SF. It is also known as a functional fiber.

It was the reduction of high fructose foods that made the biggest improvement in my IBS-D.

--------------------

#315223 - 09/18/07 11:55 AM
LtDanFan

Does it taste good cool?

--------------------

#315225 - 09/18/07 12:10 PM
Syl

Sure does. Just think of potato and pasta salad or the rice in sushi

--------------------

#315227 - 09/18/07 12:46 PM
CMBickel

Reged: 04/25/03
Loc: Sandy, UT

I've been IBS-D & lactose intollerant for 17 years. Not one prescription drug worked for me, just too many side effects. Gastroenterologists and the medical profession know zilch on how to treat IBS-A,C & D. BUT the peppermint capsules, peppermint tea, the product GasStop, calcium 1000mg + Vit. D, and most of all the book Eating for IBS and the great IBS Audio 100 tapes were a godsend. Life is good! CMB

#315229 - 09/18/07 12:51 PM
LtDanFan

Maria!Maria!

Yes, I found the levsin just didn't work as well this time, too jittery and unfortunately I am that ridiculous type A personality, so I"m naturally spastic. I need NO caffeine, I hate it. I am willing to try the Librax again for now, as I posted before my husband is going in for some major surgery tomorrow and I can't be anxious, as we IBS-Ders all know that I'll be crapping and cramping all day. Must be strong!! I love rice Chex and I love to make the rice krispie treats with rice chex, yummy, love pasta and potatoes. Do you do well with sweet potatoes, I love them. I have never tried rice crackers, do you live in the US? IF so what is a good brand? I love the basamatic sp? rice, love the smell, it's almost like popcorn smell....
I drink no pop at all and just tea and water with acacia in it. I am gradually going to up my Acacia, I use that and citrucel caplets. Which has been working well, but I feel I need to up my does of SFS. Thanks again for the help!!

--------------------

Busopan and Simethicone (generic gas x) for me n/t new
      #315254 - 09/18/07 07:35 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

question for Maria Maria new
      #315260 - 09/18/07 08:48 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

How often do you take lorazepam and how much? I have 1.0 mg tablets which I take only half of if needed which had been maybe 3 times a month. But lately I have been so stressed out and getting some d again (after being stable since February) and I want to take it more often but I'm afraid I'll get addicted. I'm seeing my doc in two weeks so I'll discuss it with her but I would appreciate your input. Last time I was there she said that it comes in 1.5 and 2.0 quantities also and some people take it daily UNTIL an anti-anxiety pill kicks in. BUT I'm already taking lexapro 10mg daily so I guess I feel like I shouldn't need to take that much? Your thoughts? THANKS

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Re: question for Maria Maria new
      #315263 - 09/18/07 09:16 PM
lalala

I just take it a couple of times a month now (usually .5 - 1 mg)and when I go flying. Usually, it's for panic attacks, since I don't get the really bad IBS attacks anymore. I've never taken it for more than two days in a row because I'm also worried about getting dependent on it. My doctor said that I'd have to take it regularly for about a month to become dependent on it, which is different from addiction, but I still don't want to rely on it for everything, you know? Anxiety is part of life, it's just the really bad panic attacks that I need to stop.

I think I've probably been suffering from panic attacks since I was 17, but didn't seek any type of help for it until I was 28. I spent a lot of time trying to hide it from people and treat it naturally...I just wish I had asked for a doctor's help because I missed out on a lot in life. Also, I think part of it was due to having lupus and flare-ups in my IBS when the lupus flared but having no diagnosis. Very frustrating, stressful time!

I think if you need to take it for a while and you're under a doctor's supervision, you should be fine. I would just recommend taking the minimum dose to get you through the day/event.

Thank you Maria. n/t new
      #315309 - 09/19/07 07:15 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#315391 - 09/21/07 09:07 AM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

I use symax duo tabs.(It is duo because of a fast acting and then a slow released med.) I aslo have syax fast tabs. You disolve them under your tongue for cramping/spasm while out or before your next dose. These seem to help. I also drink pepperment tea.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

Question re Resistant Starch new
      #315609 - 09/26/07 10:51 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

Hi Syl, that link is really interesting. I have two questions I'm not sure if you can help,

Would sweet potatoes also have resistant starch? and,
would red lentils be as good as brown lentils?

Thanks in advance; I know it sounds super picky!!

Cheers
Jodie

Re: Question re Resistant Starch new
      #315616 - 09/27/07 05:42 AM
Syl

Sweet potatoes are high in both resistant starch and SF. I believe most lentils should have roughly the same amount of resistant starch. There is a table at the bottom of this web page that gives the resistant starch content of a variety of foods that you may find interesting.

--------------------

Re: Question re Resistant Starch new
      #315665 - 09/27/07 02:51 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

Thanks Syl. Your research skills are a tremendous resource!! I think you're really onto something with resistant starch. Since reading some of your posts about it and being aware of it as well as IF SF I think things are looking up; yay!

Jodie

Re: Prescription meds for Ibs cramping. Melanie R new
      #315744 - 09/29/07 05:11 PM
LtDanFan

Where do you get your meds for your IBS? I have never heard of those, so they work? Thanks

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 279 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7773

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review