All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
breaking point
      #315106 - 09/16/07 10:19 AM
ladyjane

Reged: 09/16/07

Um...ive been on heather's diet for 2 weeks now and i see no results. I just can't seem to figure out what foods are triggering my attacks. I'm starting to think that its everything and anything that I eat. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: breaking point new
      #315108 - 09/16/07 10:38 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Are you IBS-C, IBS-D or IBS-A?

Give us examples of your daily menu.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#315114 - 09/16/07 12:24 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

When my ibs flares up, I have to eat everything plain for a while untill everything comes down (2-3 weeks). So I eat oatmeal, very plain homemade soups with potato and chicken, peppermint tea, basically foods with not much flavor. After I feel better then I slowly start going back to normal foods. Try one new food a day or in two days to see how your body will react. Don't start eating several new foods at once or you will not know which one is bothering you. One at a time is good, it takes time but it works. Write stuff down, what works and what doesn't. Your ibs is flared up now so go on very plain foods, take beano with veggies. It will get better!!!

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#315118 - 09/16/07 01:25 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

it took me alot longer than 2 weeks to make my symptoms subside. Overall, I was feeling better and could tell that the diet was helping but stabilizing can take months to a year.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#315122 - 09/16/07 05:06 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

I also keep a journal of what I eat so that I can always look back and see if what I ate made me feel sick, etc.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

Re: breaking point - I agree with Syl and the others so far new
      #315126 - 09/16/07 07:08 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

I know it's tough and it's hard to be patient, especially when you're in pain and uncomfortable, and so miserable. But 2 weeks is not enough time. You also have to take it easy and take it slow. You might need to eliminate foods first, then add them back one at a time. Keep a food journal. Your emotions and outside factors will come into play too. Like if you have a big deadline at work and a co-worker who was supposed to do one part totally flaked and you're stuck with the whole job, ya know? Or if there are any other stressors in your life, all that's going to affect your digestion. Take a few minutes out of every day for yourself to just be quiet, relax, and think of nothing but peace and contentment. Read a book, or listen to relaxing music, or do something else that makes you feel good.

Have you talked to your doc about your continuing probs? Are you suffering more dominantly from diarrhea (D), constipation (C), or alternating (A)? What other symptoms do you have and what kinds of foods are you eating and how often?

Hang in there, we're all here to help if we can. I wish you lots of luck and send lots of hugs and good vibes and prayers and good wishes to you (hope you can hold em all).

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

#315290 - 09/19/07 02:05 PM
ladyjane

I'm IBS-A i usually eat oatmeal in the morning, then some kind of white bread sandwich for lunch, either turkey or chicken and i tend to skip dinner because i'm afraid of an attack. I seem to always smell no matter what i eat. I assume i need to have a BM but to no avail. Thank God i have my own office because socially i don't do anything anymore because of it.

#315296 - 09/19/07 04:07 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Welcome to the Board LadyJane,

I've read your posts and have a few questions and a few suggestions.

I'm guessing you're predominately C - having the need to go but can't, you wrote. Eating breakfast and lunch may not be enough. If you're skipping dinner fearing an attack you could just be bringing one on.

Do you snack at all between meals? Pretzels, rice crackers, graham crackers, english muffins? Anything? If your tum is empty it can also cause you problems. I'm A and I eat up to 8 times a day. Breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, after dinner snack and before bed snack some days!! I'm like a hobbit, except I don't eat much at one sitting. During your morning break have a handful of pretzels with a cup of pep or fennel tea. Keep something in your tum.

Have you considered any hidden ingredients in what you are eating? Have you double checked the labels for milk, whey, excess fat? What else is on your turkey sandwich? You said you eat white bread - is it Italian, French or sour dough? Could be hidden ingredients that are making you feel unwell.
Are there any triggers you haven't eliminated? Caffeine, nicotine, excess fats, alcohol? Just curious.

IMHO your menu is dull and limited and I would be bored and frustrated too!

What are you doing to help your stress? Any hypno, yoga, exercise? How is your stress level at work? Speaking from experience, stress can be a killer. I crashed last February from stress. I'm starting to feel better NOW, yes NOW, that is 17 months of getting back to myself. I use the hypno tapes, meditation, pressure massage, exercise and breathing techniques to help my stress. Screaming helps sometimes too

Believe me, the road to recovery can be very long, and there can be set-backs along the way. I was doing fantastic at Christmas, then I got a really bad flu and I
was back to square one for weeks.

Bethany and Sommer have excellent points too, read everything, gather information for yourself and then decide how best to use it.

There are other things to consider in your diet as well.
Acacia powder
Probiotics - I take Bio K+ and it is awesome for me
Peppermint tea or caps
Fennel tea
Lots of fresh, cool water - just like Heather says in her book. BTW, have you read her book?

Welcome, hugs, and good luck. "If you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!"

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#315315 - 09/20/07 01:12 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Yeah, i agree with everyone on this. I'm IBS C and it does take ages and you feel like you'll never stabilise. I've been following the diet for just over a month and only now are things starting to get better. My IBS is nowhere near stable but i'm still encouraged by the little improvements my body's making and what i'm learning about about my body and what it can handle. Hang in there and try to take heart from the little things that change. It really is so important and beneficial to try to think positively. (This i've learnt from experience- i had months of it making me depressed). Good luck! xxx

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#315317 - 09/20/07 05:32 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Hi ladyjane, I know what you mean! It's taking me a lot longer than 2 weeks to stabilize! I'm not stable at all, but after being on this diet for about 3 months my attacks are less painful and my C is better as well. You probably feel like this diet is depriving you of all your favorite meals but once you get used to it you will find that there are still tons of yummy foods to munch on!
Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#315318 - 09/20/07 05:53 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Have you checked the ingredients in the white bread. Does it contain HFCS? Is the turkey or chicken from a deli? If yes, does it contain additives such as nitrates and nitrites? What else is in the sandwhich besides meat and bread? What do you have with your oatmeal?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#315386 - 09/21/07 07:05 AM
ladyjane

Thanks guys. I swear I thought I was the only one in the universe with IBS lol.

Well its usually chicken breast(fresh)/turkey processed(grocery), white bread(french bread or plain bagels) and mustard(frenchs). Um I make my oatmeal with water and sometimes I add a sugar packet and a banana. Im taking fiber as well(one spoonfull a day) and I recently bought a bottle of probiotics(lactobacillus) I started it last night so we'll see.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1243 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5209

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review