All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Please I am desperate for any suggestions
      #314985 - 09/13/07 04:38 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I have been with this board for over 4 years and you guys have always huddled for me with suggestions. I have been doing great with my IBS-D. I went a month and a half without an "episode". That is the longest stretch in 15 years. Anyway, This started last Thursday after eating a veggie pizza, supposedly safe, white chicken, tomatoes (which I can tolerate), mushrooms. I have had horrible cramping and D every day since. I have tried the break the cycle, not working, I have been living on rice, steamed nothng on it, toast,(safe), pretzels, safe rice broth and I am still having the horrible cramping and D. This is actually 8 days now. Any sugestions on how I can stop this. I am always hesitant on taking imodium for it binds me up for days on end. I take levsin (anticholenergic) for colon spasm, citrucel caplets, acacia, prevacid for gerd, started taking lyrica (pain medication - seizure med) about 2-3 weeks ago, started Prozac two days ago. I was taking a really good probiotic, which I found out had been recalled, and cannot findout why, but I just found this out about 3-4 days ago and I had been taking up until then. So I have not had any for about 2-3 days. any suggestions, I tried to give as much detail as I can on what's been going on with me. Oh, and some stress, using lorazapam for that....help please....

pooping in Ohio

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please I am desperate for any suggestions new
      #314986 - 09/13/07 04:42 PM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Hey there. Try taking a half a immodium instead of a full one. Imodium binds me up terribly, but when I only take a half it slows me down without binding me up. Also, just checking, have you been tested for gluten sensitivity/celiacs disease? It looks like you have alot of wheat in your diet which could be contributing to the diarrhea and pain. Try going on a gluten free diet if you are not sure or get a bowel test done. You can get one at www.enterolab.com
HTH

#314987 - 09/13/07 04:55 PM
LtDanFan

Hi, yes, I have been checked for gluten/wheat allergy, and it was negative. I may try the half an immodium....Thanks!!

I'm getting soooo hungry

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

#314988 - 09/13/07 05:03 PM
Lyndeigh

I hope the half imodium thing works for you. Just making sure with the gluten sensitivity. Its not an allergy, its an intolerance, and cannot always be diagnosed through blood. Unless theres complete atrophy of the intestinal villi, the antibodies that are formed as a response from the intake of gluten do not leave the bowel into the blood, and therefore the antibiodies cannot be picked up from a simple blood test. I apparently have had gluten sensitivity since I was 12, but the antibodies could not be picked up from my blood because they did not leave my bowel. I finally had a stool test when I was 21 and the antibodies showed I was positive. I had two blood tests in the past for the gluten and they all came back negative but the stool test came back positive. After I got off the gluten, I am 100% better. I hope you feel better real soon.

#314992 - 09/13/07 05:32 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

This always makes me suspect either low-level food poisoning or an intestinal virus. You could see your doctor and ask about Tylenol with codeine. I was prescribed that when I got a hideous tummy bug several years ago and it really helped. It relieves the pain and the diarrhea.

I hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#314994 - 09/13/07 05:50 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I agree with Sand. It sounds like a flu bug or food poisoning. Actually the stomach flu is rapid around the midwest right now. My son just had it and so have I. At least I think that was what it was since I just went a stretch of 5 days like that I am normally C. Plus I was on my period as well. If it doesn't get better head to the doc's and see if they can give you something. Hang in there!

#314995 - 09/13/07 05:55 PM
LtDanFan

Sand, and everyone,

Thanks so much. I may have come tylenol with codeine lurking around from my hysterectomy. I will try that, I wonder if I can take that and half an imodium? I'm questioning the chicken on the pizze, becasue it was almost immediate after eating that "safe" pizza, I just didn't think that food bugs last this long. I'm sooo hungry. I have graham crackers, rice and I'm going to have a piece of toast with some peppermint tea now. Thanks again.

--------------------

#315002 - 09/13/07 06:52 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

My heart goes out to you but I can't help. I am prone to constipation.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#315005 - 09/13/07 07:14 PM
LtDanFan

Lyndeigh,

I think I may have had that checked (the stool) I went to the Cleveland Clinic and they did massive amounts of tests. What is the test called just in case, I will check!! Thanks. I generally do not eat a lot of gluten, just trying to stay safe since this episode. It is strange that I have never been IBS free for more then 1 1/2 months, why don't GI docs or docs in general think of this kind of stuff???

--------------------

#315014 - 09/14/07 06:45 AM
Lyndeigh

I dont think the test has a specific name its just a stool test for gluten sensitivity where they check the stool for the antibodies produced in response to gluten. Reading the other girls' posts it could be the stomach flu. I only had the stomach flu once and it lasted 3 days. However, I also take probiotics which help. I take Flora Q. It does a world of good. Do you have a fever? Usually with a stomach bug, you will get a fever.

#315020 - 09/14/07 09:24 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I also think it sounds like food poisoning that may have set off your IBS again. Taking 1/2 Imodium caplet (so that would be a quarter of a dose, which is two caplets) usually works for me. Also, try having some low-fat chicken broth with your rice, this will add back some electrolytes you may be losing due to the D and help "heal" your intestines. Very soothing and easy on the stomach!

Feel better soon!

#315026 - 09/14/07 12:17 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Taking the Tylenol with Codeine plus 1/2 an Imodium isn't dangerous but both are constipating so keep that in mind if you're worried about swinging too far the other way.

I agree with Maria about trying some chicken broth - you need to stay hydrated and the salt in the broth should help your electrolyte balance. Throw in a little cooked rice if you feel up to it and eventually a little cooked chicken to get some protein down you.

I'd also stop eating graham crackers. I know most people find them safe but I've never done terribly well with them. Try a saltine instead - very soothing. The original Nabisco gets 16% of calories from fat which I do fine with but if you think that's too much for you now try a non-fat kind.

The worst run of IBS I ever had was after I got a very bad case of food poisoning. I don't think the food poisoning lasted all that long but by the time it ran its course my gut was so outraged it was in horrible shape for weeks. That was before I found this Website and my doctor finally put me on Elavil (which worked for a while but not for that long and the side-effects were too much for me). However, even once I was off the Elavil my IBS was back to normally awful instead of over the top miserable so I figure the Elavil gave it time to calm down a little and get back on its feet, so to speak. (Interesting visual.)

There is a point to that long ramble which is that if you had a virus or food poisoning, even if that's subsided your gut may have become so deranged it needs something - Imodium, Tylenol with Codeine - to help it calm itself down and get back on track.

I hope some of this helps and I hope you feel much better soon.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#315030 - 09/14/07 12:42 PM
LtDanFan

Thanks Sand, Thanks Maria!!Maria!! and everyone else

So far today I have not gone. Big Yeah!! I am haivng tons of peppermint tea, which I can tolerate, lots of water and look forward to my chicken broth with rice tonight again.....I want my oatmeal so bad!! I'm thinking it was the chicken from the "safe" pizza.....basically that was the last food "food" items I have since the onset and it did happen about 10 minutes after eating it!! This is the worst time for this. My husband is having major surgery Wednesday and will be in the hospital for a week. I will probably be staying in the hospital with him the first night, depending on how he does maybe the second. So yes, food poisoning on top of stress is not really the best thing right now!!!

Hugs and Prayers accepted...

Thanks all

--------------------

#315098 - 09/16/07 01:50 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

I haven't read anyone else's suggestions/replies, as I just wanted to throw out the only answer I could think of - food poisoning? You need to be careful you aren't dehydrating yourself. Imho those symptoms sound like food poisoniing. But then again, we do have to remember that we suffer from IBS, but it's still my only thought. Btw, not being condescending by using "we", I literally mean all of us on this board have this commonality.

I really hope you feel better, but a trip to your doc may not be a bad idea.

Going to read the other posts now. *HUGS*

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Re: Please I am desperate for any suggestions - My thoughts exactly, Sand new
      #315099 - 09/16/07 01:52 AM
Sommer

I concur, if it's nfot food poisoning, it could be a stomach or intestinal virus, or a stomach flu. I've dealt with all of the above, not fun at all. Hope you feel better soon, hun!

--------------------

HUGS and PRAYERS gladly given to you and your hubby! :) <3 NT new
      #315100 - 09/16/07 01:55 AM
Sommer

--------------------

#315188 - 09/17/07 07:24 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Beware of the prozac which may not be helping things. Both times I started an anti-d/anxiety drug, I got horrible d and cramping (I'm talking labor type pain) until my body adjusted. I'm not saying the prozac started it, but it could certainly be exacerbating the problem. I would wait until your system is stable again before taking it. Feel better.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#315191 - 09/18/07 04:17 AM
LtDanFan

Line415, I never thought of the prozac because I have taken it off and on for years, in fact one of my best IBS moments was when taking Prozac (best, buy meaning less attacks), but that was years ago....Thanks for the suggestion.

--------------------

Re: HUGS and PRAYERS gladly given to you and your hubby! :) <3 NT new
      #315199 - 09/18/07 05:54 AM
LtDanFan

Thanks Sommer!!

--------------------

#315200 - 09/18/07 05:56 AM
LtDanFan

Line415, what do you use for your labor type cramping? I have this also. Thanks

--------------------

labor type cramps new
      #315259 - 09/18/07 08:39 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Well, luckily I haven't gotten them too often. The most severe were when I had food-poisoning and then the first evenings of trying two different SSRIs. What happened then is that they were accompanied by vomiting eventually and d which were relentless. I basically either sat on the bowl or in a keeled over position holding my stomach.

Since I've been on the diet, I have gotten that pressure/pain near the rectum and pulsating/spasms only during attacks which have been few and far between until this month which I'm assuming are totally a result of my anxiety. That goes away after I take some acacia and work through it.

Other times I have gotten terrible gas pains and for that I do the usual...Gas-X, laying on my stomach (heard that that helps push the gas out), some yoga positions, and recently I've been trying Fennel seed capsules. Do you drink peppermint or fennel tea? I would imagine that would help but I don't like tea.

It seems that for me at least, my pain has been reduced by both intensity and duration since I found this site. Even though it stinks when it happens, I am always grateful for that and remember that hopefully it will never be as bad as it had been. I hope you are feeling better.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4061 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7489

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review