All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Snob?
      #314937 - 09/13/07 10:22 AM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

My co-workers call me a snob, because I don't eat donuts when everybody else does. It doesn't help explaining that I have IBS. Today is another day where my co-workers buy donuts and I get "looks", as usual, because I am not eating any. Whenever they bring donuts, I know I will be in the center of "attention" that I don't necessarily need. "You aren't eating any?" "It's got fruit filling in it", and I hear laughs...

How should I respond to those sorts of comments?

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

what to say new
      #314953 - 09/13/07 12:06 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Tell them you LOVE donuts, but that unfortunately you can't eat them because you have a health condition that requires you to follow a strict diet otherwise you can get very ill and might have to go to hospital for morphine. If they demand to know what your condition is, and if you want to tell them, then you could say it's a bowel disorder.

Re: Snob? new
      #314969 - 09/13/07 01:23 PM
clairews6

Reged: 09/08/07
Loc: Staffordshire, UK

You could just say your best friend worked in a donut making factory and told you some horror stories of what nasty things get put in them for a laugh, and have sworn you would never eat them again tee hee, it may even put them off! or you could just think sod em and rise above it, you dont need too justify yourself too them, you do what you do becasue its good for you and quite frankly none of their business!
Dont let them get too you,i have something similar at work at the moment too, it hurts doesnt it so i get where your coming from! dont let em get to you, we'll be healthy while their artery's are full of fat tee hee!
Claire x

--------------------
Aged 31, 1 Husband 2 Cats and maybe (hopefully) a baby soon

#314975 - 09/13/07 02:53 PM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

You could try taking something IBS safe to share with your co-workers. Maybe muffins or a quick bread that you can slice & share with them. There are a lot of recipes on this website. And if you don't like to cook, sometimes you can find IBS safe stuff at the HFS or grocery store. That way they'll see that you do want to participate, you just can't have certain foods.

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

#314976 - 09/13/07 02:53 PM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

The first time my office brought in donuts and I didnt eat one, when everyone asked I told them I was allergic to dairy. Since then they have never asked me to have one again and sometimes they even appologize because they know i cant eat them and feel bad eating around me.

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

Re: abby6126 new
      #314978 - 09/13/07 03:07 PM
TATYANA

It looks like you're working with some nice people. You're lucky!

--------------------

#314984 - 09/13/07 04:30 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I get this all the time, family, friends, co-workers and I too get so tired of it. "Don't you eat".....or Do you ever eat?" So I have reverted to the I'm lactose intolerant and I have an intestinal condition that limits the "types" of food I can consume without getting ill. These usually work, if I not then I go with the well if I eat that I"ll be crapping my guts out all day, do you want me to work, or be in the bathroom all day??

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

#314990 - 09/13/07 05:26 PM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

The people i work with are amazing...everything gets easier eventually. Hang in there and it will all work out. You can even take the donut back to your desk.

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#314998 - 09/13/07 06:31 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

My guys are the best coworkers anyone could ever work with. You know what I would do because I'm evil and getting on my bad side is oh so risky? Make a nice, thick batch of brownies laced with exlax. That'll show 'em.

That actually pi$$ed me off. Stupid, simple people. Don't make me have to go to Washington State!

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

To: BendeeWendee
      #315000 - 09/13/07 06:38 PM
TATYANA

You are so funny, you always crack me up. I love your photo and always enjoy reading what you think/write. I hope you have a good one and no pains with IBS.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 255 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 25811

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review