All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I’ve used up all of my sick leave!
      #314656 - 09/06/07 11:37 AM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

People at work think that I am a problem child because I call in sick a lot. Nobody takes IBS seriously! Now I have to take non-paid leave for my appointments. Anybody else has the same problem? Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I’ve used up all of my sick leave! new
      #314658 - 09/06/07 12:22 PM
tarau1

Reged: 09/02/07

Yes! The last 9 months have been really bad for me. I was taking lots of days off work to go to all these different docs to then find out because they can not find anything wrong me that it must be ibs. I had short term disability, so I asked my doc if I could take a month off just to get the stress down and figure out my diet. I filled out and the paperwork and had to do a little arguing, but I got the time off. I took two months off - paid. I go back to work in a couple of weeks. It really helped to have the time off. I actually went to the doc less since I have been off. Do you have short term disability?

I got a call from my boss last week. They really miss me and were surprised at how much work I actually did. I got a raise and a promotion to go back to. How about that! Maybe this could happen for you too.

Re: tarau1 new
      #314661 - 09/06/07 01:04 PM
TATYANA

Wow! Paid leave, promotion and a raise? My goodness! Girl, you're lucky! Last year I broke my knee cap so I took 1 month off, non-paid. I don't know if it's possible to get non-paid leave for IBS. My doctor, that has been dealing with me for over a year now, recently quit her practice. I would have no one who could tell my employer that I am actually sick. I envy you, in a good way. Plus I am getting married this month (very small ceremony) and I need the money. I sure hope you enjoy your stay at home! Enjoy the sun, if you have sun today. It's nice and warm here in Seattle, WA.

--------------------

#314680 - 09/06/07 04:38 PM
BendeeWendee

Reged: 07/23/07
Loc: Brooklyn, NY

I have no sick leave left and the 3 weeks that I took off to acclimate myself to the new diet, etc., was advanced sick leave that I'm paying back now. I should be done by early next year because in the government, we get 4 hours of sick leave every pay period (I used about 120 hours of advanced sick leave). Now I've been working with the gov't for 16 going on 17 years and I should have tons of sick leave but I'm always getting sick. I'm lucky that I work with the best bunch of people.

--------------------
Wendy IBS A thru Z
Taking it one day at a time...

#314708 - 09/07/07 01:25 PM
Cast_Away

Reged: 08/15/07
Loc: Orlando, Florida

What about FMLA?

--------------------
IBS-D, with Coloitis from surgery

Re: tarau1 new
      #314714 - 09/07/07 03:40 PM
tarau1

I live near Seattle too and am enjoying this nice weather we are having. I am very lucky with my work. My IBS leave was allowed under FMLA and it would have been non paid if I did not have the short term disability. I got married in September too; about 15 years ago. I can understand not being able to forgo that paycheck. Best wishes to you and hopefully no more broken knee caps!

Missing Work new
      #314762 - 09/09/07 07:11 PM
IBSHell

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Connecticut

It is very important if you miss a lot of work to protect yourself. If your company offers short-term disability, it would only be approved for a period of incapacity of at least two weeks. Rare to get it approved for IBS. However, unpaid leave, under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) will protect you. It is very important to file paperwork before you go over your alloted number of sick days. You usually have to be with the company for a year to be eligible and the company has to have at least 15 (I believe) employees to be required to offer FMLA. Even thought it is unpaid, it does relieve you of the fear of getting fired. You can take one day, a week, whatever. I think you can even use it to prevent getting fired for doctor's appointments.

I know Heather talks a lot about telling your employer and co-workers about what's going on with your health. And a lot of employers are great. But there are a lot that would jump on it as a reason to fire you. Our lovely termination at will policy in effect. They don't have to justify it. Just remember to protect yourself before you actually need it. It will save you a lot of hassle.

Re: Tatyana new
      #314886 - 09/12/07 10:21 AM
tarau1

I live near Seattle too and am enjoying this nice weather we are having. I am very lucky with my work. My IBS leave was allowed under FMLA and it would have been non paid if I did not have the short term disability. I got married in September too; about 15 years ago. I can understand not being able to forgo that paycheck. Best wishes to you and hopefully no more broken knee caps!

Thank you new
      #314890 - 09/12/07 10:47 AM
TATYANA

Thank you guys for all of your replies.

--------------------

#315140 - 09/16/07 09:37 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

I did when I first found out I had IBS, now I'm not working, but before when I was, I was sick several times a week and couldn't sleep at all because I spent entire nights in the bathroom. I was even sent to the hospital in an ambulance from work one time. Even my co-workers couldn't disagree that I looked horrible. I called in sick a lot, I even missed OT because of it sometimes. I felt horrible, physically, mentally, and emotionally. I felt unreliable and miserably sick.

Your co-workers sound like a naggy, nosey, mean, rude bunch of immature people. You do not deserve the stress they are causing you over what is not really their business in the first place. It's your life, it's your job, it's your butt on the line (literally and figuratively). Yes, your being absent affects the general workload and work environment, but they need to know how to properly handle themselves in that situation. Their etiquette is severely lacking.

I just hope your employer understands that you truly are sick and are trying to be as reliable and responsible as possible. Lots of luck to you Tatyana, take care of yourself.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Re: Tarau1 ( I’ve used up all of my sick leave!) new
      #315141 - 09/16/07 09:40 PM
Sommer

Way to go, hun, congrats! It's sure nice to be appreciated for the hard work you do. I'm really happy for you, now you can be doubly proud of yourself. You took necessary time off for yourself to get healthier and you got a raise and promotion! NEAT!

--------------------

Re: Missing Work new
      #315142 - 09/16/07 09:45 PM
Sommer

Quote:

It is very important if you miss a lot of work to protect yourself. If your company offers short-term disability, it would only be approved for a period of incapacity of at least two weeks. Rare to get it approved for IBS. However, unpaid leave, under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) will protect you. It is very important to file paperwork before you go over your alloted number of sick days. You usually have to be with the company for a year to be eligible and the company has to have at least 15 (I believe) employees to be required to offer FMLA. Even thought it is unpaid, it does relieve you of the fear of getting fired. You can take one day, a week, whatever. I think you can even use it to prevent getting fired for doctor's appointments.

I know Heather talks a lot about telling your employer and co-workers about what's going on with your health. And a lot of employers are great. But there are a lot that would jump on it as a reason to fire you. Our lovely termination at will policy in effect. They don't have to justify it. Just remember to protect yourself before you actually need it. It will save you a lot of hassle.

Well said.

With my experience, if your IBS has become bad enough that it has affected your ability to work in any capacity at all, you still have the right to have your doc write up something, and make sure your doc notes in your med recs the difficulties you are having, what you've tried, etc. You can still mention that IBS has been debilitating to you, especially if you end up filing for short-term disability. IBS can be that bad for some people, there were days, sometimes weeks where I couldn't move, was bed-bound, I was in so much pain, or I was literally sleeping in the bathroom so that I would make it in time if I had to go. You shouldn't feel bad about legitimately asking for what you have a right to.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 515 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4547

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review