All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
ISB symptoms and parasites
      #314567 - 09/04/07 09:38 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I've been diagnosed with IBS, and figured this recent bought of D was because of my IBS. I was sticking to the IBS diet, and as I started running out of my acacia I called Heather's Tummy Care to order more. At the same time I wondered whether it was causing my symptoms. A very helpful gal advised me to have my doctor rule out giardia and parasites. My doc ran the tests and low-and-behold I've got a parasite. I'm starting antibiotics tonight. Wish me luck, because I don't do well with antibiotics!

Thank goodness I got the advice to check for parasites, because my doc would have written this off as IBS. She was quite surprised. My advice...if you've tried everything mentioned on this website and nothing is working, it wouldn't hurt to be tested for parasites.

Now, if anyone has had parasites and can offer me advice on getting well, I'll surely take it!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: ISB symptoms and parasites new
      #314568 - 09/04/07 09:45 PM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

When I started getting sick I asked to be tested for parasides. My doc told me that if I am constipated they won't be able to find anything. So once they tested me and I tested negative. What were your simptoms besides diarrea? I always worry about stuff like that. Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

Re: parasites and q. for Tatyana new
      #314572 - 09/05/07 04:03 AM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

Hi. There was an outbreak of giardia in Sydney water a few years ago, if I remember correctly there was prescription medication to treat it.

Tatyana - How did it work out with the soy?? How much can you tolerate, and how do you integrate it into your daily meals? I worry so much that soy contributes to C but I can't tell if it's just me worrying that makes it worse... but I eat no red meat or chicken, only tinned fish at night, so protein comes from the fish and mushrooms and tofu. What do you do with the soy to incorporate it??

Cheers,
Jodie

#314576 - 09/05/07 07:30 AM
yoffie

Reged: 08/01/07

my daughter was diagnosed with the same parasite. she took flagyl. it wasn't easy on the stomach the first few days. she did take an immodeum before going to bed which slowed the diahharea. it did giver her cramps and she decided she preferred the D. She isn't quite back to normal two weeks after finishing the antibiotic but it is more of D and no crmaps. keep your food as simple as possible and alwys have something in your stomach when you take the medication. stay off dairy if you can. she is getting through it.

#314577 - 09/05/07 07:40 AM
CubanMistletoe

Reged: 05/04/07

is it possible that parasites could cause constipation?

i have had high liver enzymes, but they just recently went back to normal. my doctor could never figure out what caused it and has totally written off all my physical symptoms (gas, bloating, constipation). I don't have the money to go to a bunch of different doctors, not to mention i don't know if my insurance would allow me to. i am C though, so that's why i was wondering if i should even worry about parasites.

Answer for JodieKG new
      #314580 - 09/05/07 09:16 AM
TATYANA

Reged: 07/22/07
Loc: Washington, Seattle

Hi. I cannot eat soy cheese-it gives me spazms but I can eat soy yogurt, soy ice-cream and soy milk. Soy yogurt is expensive-.99 cents per serving. I buy it at Trader Joes, QFC or HFS. I've been eating it for about 1.5 weeks now. I did take laxative once but not sure if it was because of soy or I just didn't eat enough fiber. I don't recommend soy cheese, it's too hard on the stomach because of it's consistency. I also drink rice milk. I couldn't eat soy before but now that I'm more stable I can eat soy on empty stomach and feel fine. Good luck and email if you have more questions. Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C since 2006. No signs of IBS now, it's been 4 yrs. Only dairy allergy now.

#314590 - 09/05/07 10:17 AM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

My symptoms are loose stools, fatigue and abdominal pain. I'm not sure if constipation is a symptom; I'd be surprised if it is. You can google "parasites" and come up with a list of symptoms.

#314606 - 09/05/07 03:25 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Hey Digby,
Not sure if you are doing this already, but I would highly recommend taking probiotics along with your antibiotics. Just make sure you take the probiotics at least 2 hours after your dose of antibiotics........
Kim

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1159 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3145

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review