All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Stabilizing
      #314526 - 09/03/07 08:10 PM
re3

Reged: 09/03/07

My girlfriend has IBS and has been on the IBS diet for the past 5 days. She is only eating the soluble fiber items and drinking water. The problem now is that her condition isn't getting any better at all. We are trying to get her stabilized so we can get her back on track. She is a bit upset to say the least. We both expected her to be stabilized by now.
How long can it take to get stabilized?
Have others gotten worse on the diet before they felt better?

Any other advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Stabilizing new
      #314531 - 09/04/07 03:12 AM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

Maybe you could give a bit more information, e.g. is your girlfriend IBS C, D, or A? What are her symptoms at the moment, and what foods exactly is she eating? Is she still on the Breaking the Cycle diet? How much water is she drinking? Is she exercising a little, avoiding triggers religiously etc.?

I'm not one of them but there are lots of very knowledgeable people here but perhaps a few more details might help everyone help you to pinpoint possible problems.

Cheers

#314536 - 09/04/07 07:22 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

You need to be patient! Stabilizing does not take days... it can take months or even a year. It took a whole year for me to stabilize, but I have IBS-C which generally takes longer than IBS-D.

The "break the cycle" diet that you describe should only be used for 2-3 days; it's not a healthy diet. You (and especially your girlfriend) need to do a lot more reading and research on this site so that you understand what the diet really is.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#314538 - 09/04/07 07:31 AM
re3

Reged: 09/03/07

Jodie,
Thank you for your guidance. She has IBS ACD, to the best of my knowledge. I wouldn't know where one would go to get the exact diagnosis. Right now she gets cramps that make her feel like she needs to get to the loo in a heartbeat but usually a false alarm. She is currently constipated but was the opposite a week ago.The foods she has been eating is white rice cooked in chicken broth with no MSG, fat free sour dough pretzels, sour dough bread, chicken picata prepared from the recipe on this site, turket burgers prepared from the recipe on this site and maple and brown sugar instant oatmeal. She drinks either chamomile tea or water throughout the dat. That's it, that's her diet for the past 4 to 5 days. She probably drinks 4 or 5 bottles of water per day.
She tells me that her attackes occur usually about once a week and that right now she has been troubled by the symptoms for 5 days straight.
At this point she is fit to be tied to put it mildly. Please advise, anyone.
Thank you

#314539 - 09/04/07 08:36 AM
Dizzy

Reged: 03/04/07
Loc: university place washington

hi,
I am so sorry she is having such a rough time, I was a ibs c previously, it took a year to stabalize now I alternate, and I am sort of restabalizing, my advice though, based on personal experience, is to get some veggies into her diet, I know scary, but they can help, try little bits of steamed carrots with rice, puree berries or peaches and mix them into your applesauce as an after meal dessert. ibs is about finding a balance, alternating Ibs even more so. I was terrified of veggies for a long time and didn't do it, I ended up having the beggening phases of scurvy, all better now, and a tummy that was out of controle, good luck and tell her to take it slow.

--------------------
ibc a but c predominent doing hypnotherapy and taking it one day at a time

#314542 - 09/04/07 09:23 AM
aworkman307

Reged: 08/15/07
Loc: Krum, TX

It all take time am IBS-D and am slowly atabilizing but i still ave attacks a couple times a week...But I was having attacks everday and going 12-20 times a day.......it is frustrating to say the least but it does work you just have to fight your way through it....I do get C on occassion and it will last for 4-5 days I have found that a jar of baby food will help set me in motion usual a small jar of the baby prunes and it is very gentle on ym stomach and does not send me into a D from a C.

Good Luck

--------------------
Amanda
IBS-D
Severe Pain
aworkman307@yahoo.com
www.myspace.com/aworkman307

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 448 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2164

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review